PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Tenon for Chuck

Curt Fuller
05-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I've read a few questions about turning a tenon and mounting wood with a tenon in scroll chuck jaws. So I took a couple pictures in hopes it would be easier to understand.
The first picture is of a round blank for a goblet with a tenon turned on one end. There is a good square solid shoulder for the jaws to contact.
The second is the wood in the jaws. The shoulder is tight against the jaws while the end of the tenon is just short of reaching the bottom of the jaws.
The jaws pull on the dovetail, pulling the shoulder tight into the jaws. With the shoulder tight against the jaws and the dovetail tight in the jaws it makes it hard for the wood to move or come loose.

Hope this helps those who have asked.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, me and my camera aren't very good at close ups.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for this Curt

Corey Hallagan
05-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Curt and thank you. This is just what I have been doing, I just don't get it. Turn the dove tail and there is plenty of room at the back of the chuck as you show. I think I just got one of those that don't work. I mean I have a hard time touch a scraper to it without ripping it out. Thanks for your time Curt, I appreciate it.

Corey

Stephen Hibbs
05-11-2006, 12:11 AM
NOOOOOO. I made that post for nothing! crap:mad: Oh well, nicely done Corey.

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Not for nothing Stephen, until I saw your post I didn't realize Curts was the same thought, tennon is a dove tail only. I didn't realize Curts was only a dove tail. Now I can see that. Thanks to both of you for the help!

Corey

Barry Stratton
05-11-2006, 2:30 AM
THANKS Curt! Appreciate the pictures.....no excuse for a launch now, unless the tenon stays while the bowl goes!!

Jim Becker
05-11-2006, 8:27 AM
Please note that not all chucks require a dovetail tenon...you should use one for those that do and not use one for those that don't. In this way, you get full contact without crushing fibers and the strongest hold on the tenon with the chuck jaws.

Curt Fuller
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Please note that not all chucks require a dovetail tenon...you should use one for those that do and not use one for those that don't. In this way, you get full contact without crushing fibers and the strongest hold on the tenon with the chuck jaws.

That's right. This is using the serrated #2 jaws on the talon chuck. It's sort of a 'death grip' hold for something that you want to hold tight but will eventually be parted off because it definitely leaves a good bite mark.
The only time I've had a piece break loose with a dovetail tenon is when it's holding with the grain perpendicular to the jaws and the wood will sometimes just break off.

Corey Hallagan
05-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Well, I did order a Nova Midi chuck. Maybe if this doesn't do it, then it is probably just me and I need to focus. Either way I will have 2 chucks to use at the worst! Thanks Curt!

Corey