PDA

View Full Version : Jointer question

David Scigliano
05-10-2006, 8:42 PM
I am building a couple of projects in my garage and need to level the edges of some wood that I cut. I cannot really afford a jointer nor do I have alot of room for one. What other options do I have as far as power hand tools? I was thinking of using a belt sander and clamping the wood in a vise.....Any other ideas? Thank you very much.

Tim Clark
05-10-2006, 8:48 PM
If you're only doing a couple small jobs find a local cabinet shop. They'll joint it for you.

I pay $0.20/lf, $10 minimum. Used em a couple times and they do nice work.

John Miliunas
05-10-2006, 8:51 PM
David, do you have a router table? A straight bit in the router, long enough to cover the thickness of your material, will do the trick. Basically, your fence becomes the table of the "jointer" and the bit becomes your cutterhead. :) :cool:

Dave Bonde
05-10-2006, 8:52 PM
You could use a hand plane or if you have a router you could clamp a straight edge to your boards and use a flush trimming router bit. Dave

glenn bradley
05-10-2006, 9:18 PM
I clamp a straight piece of wood along the edge and let the foot of my circular saw ride against it.

Mark Carlson
05-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I'd suggest a router and a straight edge.

Kent Fitzgerald
05-10-2006, 11:45 PM
I know you said power tools, but my vote is for a hand plane.

In my hands, a belt sander makes things less straight, not more!

David Scigliano
05-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Would say a router with straight edge is better than a Power planer? I will be using it on material that is 3/4 inch thick........How much or how little wood does either shave?

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I am going to assume you mean "edge jointing" by the word " leveling."

You are going to have to get some hand planes sooner or later. Go to a Flea Market and buy some now.
Get at least one REALLY LONG plane. They are called "Try" or "Jointing" planes. There is no great secret to using 'em. they will let you make table tops and other things that require you edge joint pieces.

Charlie Plesums
05-11-2006, 9:30 PM
Would say a router with straight edge is better than a Power planer? I will be using it on material that is 3/4 inch thick........How much or how little wood does either shave?
I finally sold my power planer after 30 years on the shelf rarely used. The advantage of a router is that you use a straight edge to guide it, whether a fancy router table fence or a a simple straight board clamped to the work.

The real question in my mind is if you need either. I have a 16 inch jointer that I use to flatten boards, but I rarely use it on the edge of boards... with a good blade and a well adjusted saw, I can straighten the edge of a board on the saw, ready for glue up or final sanding. Once one side is straight, the jointer cannot make the other side parallel... need the saw for that.

Ian Abraham
05-11-2006, 10:54 PM

Problem with belt sander and power planer is you have nothing to guide them and ensure a straight edge. They will follow any curve in the board or differing hand pressure. Very hard to get a good straight edge. By using a router, either in a table or guided against a straight edge you have a straight edge to reference. Then adjust your fence or edge guide so the router trims off enough waste to leave a straight edge.
Power planers and belt sanders have their uses, but replacing a jointer isn't one of them.
A router table and split fence can be set up to act as a mini-jointer, or the router can be used freehand against a guide. Not as quick and effecient as a jointer, but certainly practical.
Also have a look a Dino's EzeSmart system. That is one of the functions it has. Even if you dont want to buy his system it will still give you some ideas on how guided tools can work. You can make it work with a piece of aluminium angle extrusion and hand clamps.

Or go with the darkside methods... a jointing plane is extra long, so in effect it acts as it's own straight edge.

Cheers

Ian