PDA

View Full Version : sliding shop door

Dick Howard
08-31-2003, 5:47 PM
I want to replace the overhead door in my shop with a well insulated sliding door. Anyone have plans for this ?
Thanks, Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Ken Garlock
08-31-2003, 6:40 PM
Hi Dick. You didn't say how big your present overhead door is, but here I go again :)

I suggest that you reconsider the use of a sliding door, especially in your cold winters. I don't think you can get a good enough weather seal around the sliding door, but that is my opinion....

Here in Texas we have the opposite problem, HOT summers and mild winters. So, when I built my shop, I had a double door installed instead of an overhead door. It is a steel clad Stanley with a foam insulation interior. The door faces west and this summer when it was 100+ with the sun blazing away, the door was so hot you couldn't keep your hand on it outside but is was just barely warm inside. Had you been in the shop all day, and used the inside for an indicator, you would not have known how really hot it was outside.

My doors are 36 inches wide to a total width of 6 feet. You aren't going to get a truck in through them, but I never planned on it anyway. However, I do think it is big enough to get in and out anything I would want to build. If you decide to go this way, be aware that there are two grades of Stanley doors, it pays to carefully check what you are getting. I am told they also make a "commerical application" line of doors....

You can't be too rich or have too much insulation :D

Jim Becker
08-31-2003, 7:08 PM
I agree with Ken...Sliding Door and well-insulated are not normally used in the same sentence! I'd suggest you consider either a roll-up if you really need something "big" or put in a double, out-swing set of insulated steel doors with security hinges similar to what I have on my shop shown below. These doors seal tight and the low-E glass lets lots of nice natural light into them. For security, I use deadbolts (keyed both sides) and pins into the floor and header...I'd need to use my tractor to pull them open.

Dick Howard
08-31-2003, 9:00 PM
Ken, and Jim,
Thanks for the replys. My shop is 24'x28' with one 9' w x 7'h OH door and one 12' wx 7'h OH door. Plan is to eliminate the 12' door and replace the 9' door. Want to keep 9' width so I can pull my truck inside for loading and unloading things with a chain hoist. Was hoping for sliding door as I thought it would cause less stress on the main structure. Unless I (or some wise sawmill creeker) comes up with a workable slider, I will probably go with the out swinging double doors.
Thanks again for the input.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Jim Becker
08-31-2003, 9:05 PM
Want to keep 9' width so I can pull my truck inside for loading and unloading things with a chain hoist. Was hoping for sliding door as I thought it would cause less stress on the main structure. Unless I (or some wise sawmill creeker) comes up with a workable slider, I will probably go with the out swinging double doors.

You may have a problem getting a commercial door (with reasonably cost) to be able to accomodate your truck. Those doors in my picture are standard 81" tall rough opening and only 6' wide. Go to a full-service lumber yard and see if they can order you something that will fit your needs...or mount a beam that extends from the shop over the doors to use with the chain hoist outside.

Charles McKinley
08-31-2003, 9:19 PM
I believe theat the overhaed door company makes and insulated door that rolls up so not to interfere with your crane and lights and you can still get your truck in.

Good luck,

Ken Garlock
09-01-2003, 12:36 PM
I believe that the overhead doors company makes and insulated door that rolls up so not to interfere with your crane and lights and you can still get your truck in.

Good luck,

Yes Charles. When we built, our garage door faced south so they got the full sun all day. I searched the web, and finally settled on the Overhead Door Co. 490 series. It has an R-17 value. When it is 104 outside the garage stays at about 90. The outside of the door is hotter than @#*$, and the inside is just warm. Of course the rest of the garage is fully insulated in addition. They are quality doors, and of course they cost more. But how often do you need to replace a door, and with these doors you may never have to replace them -- steel skins. While you are at it, check out their Phantom door opener, it is absolutely silent.

I am just a very satisfied customer....

Dick Howard
09-01-2003, 2:09 PM
ThanksTo all who replyed. Still not sure what I will wind up doing. Being the ingenious fellow that I am, (loml hates it when I say that) I may try and make a slider. Much to do before im to that point tho. Will keep pondering on it and all your good advice. Meanwhile its sheetrock and insulation time.
Thanks, Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Ken Frantz
09-01-2003, 3:07 PM
Build a insulated sliding door using the same principle that is used on a sliding door on a van, but bigger!!!!!

If you can read my mind, you may get the idea----mostlikly maybe not!!! HI HI HI

KEN

Carl Eyman
09-01-2003, 4:55 PM
Norm Abrams has one and he doesn't seem to have any trouble in cold New England winters. Why not ask him?