PDA

View Full Version : First effort....

John Miliunas
05-10-2006, 7:30 PM
Well, mainly due to a couple of "slight" health issues, I've been forced to pretty much ignore my lathe. BUT, after constantly seeing all the awesome work out here, I decided that, one way or the other, I'm going to fire it up and try to work through the pain. :) So, here's my first try after months away. Also happens to be my first effort at making a goblet. Certainly does not compare to the beauties we saw during the recent contest but, at least, the thing didn't blow up before completion, so I see that as a plus. :o

Species is Cherry, ala courtesy of our own Mr. John Hart. (Thanks again, John!!!) Finish is Velvit Oil, followed by friction polish and then buffed on Mr. Beall. I did manage to get the wall thickness down to a pretty consistent 3/32 or thereabouts. Thanks for looking and critiques are welcome, as I have a long, long ways to go! :o Sure was nice getting on the spinny thing again. Painful, but nice! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2006, 7:32 PM
Funny you should post this John..........I was just wondering how your hands/wrists were doing.

I think you did a great job on this! You nailed the form....I like cherry and the finish! Great!

Andy Hoyt
05-10-2006, 7:42 PM
So the chevyvegathingamabob actually runs! Fancy that.:D

Nice one John. I'm especially aware of how well the upper and lower curves mirror one another.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-10-2006, 7:46 PM
John, I like all of it. shape, form and finish. Keep spinning!:cool:

Bob Noles
05-10-2006, 8:32 PM
John,

A beautiful job on the goblet and I really like the finish. I know all about "health issues" keeping us away from the tools we love. It has been too long since I have been able to trust my condition enough to turn the power swith on, but I am finally getting closer by the day.

Nice work buddy!

Corey Hallagan
05-10-2006, 8:39 PM
Excellent John! It look great! Hope you get to feeling better.

Corey

George Conklin
05-10-2006, 9:00 PM
I had no idea you were having health issues. I hope you get better soon. I was wondering why I never saw you post any pictures of your lathe work. I guess this explains it.
I'm glad to see you were able to turn out such a nice piece after such a long time away from your chevy vega:D .

Pete Jordan
05-10-2006, 9:03 PM
Nice job John!

Cherry is my favorite wood.

Steve Ash
05-10-2006, 9:09 PM
Looks great John. Bad wrist or not you can't see it by your work on that goblet. I think we should make you an honorary gobleteer winner. :cool:

Frank Chaffee
05-10-2006, 9:36 PM
John,
I can only assume the reddened hand and thumb preceding your thread title is a commentary on the condition of your hand after producing this lovely piece.

To save Andy time and his translator needless hysteresis, I’ll say right up front, COOL!

The wood chunk from Hartbreaker has nice grain. So what, all wood has nice grain, that’s why we’re Creekers.

The goblet’s finish is most fine, but really, what’s the beall deal, can’t any woodworker can do that?!!!

Two things about this goblet are unique and distinctive to me: First, I’ve not seen that defining line between a stem and vessel before. I like it! Imbibing from this goblet could save me many embarrassing shirt stains, as I would have that finger-detectable level indicator.

Secondly, the broader than usual base is a practicality that could/should have been realized and implemented long ago!!! Shirt stains are one thing, but the spill that can ensue from setting down a partially consumed toast from is far more embarrassing. DAMHIKT! Broad base is beautiful!

John, please post the dimensions for those who will not be able to grasp this creation, which I look forward to doing soon.

Frank

Jim Becker
05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Quite Spinulous, John! I think it's nice...

Tim Beauregard
05-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I like it. Looks very nice to me (who has never attempted such a thing).

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2006, 11:21 PM
John, I'd put that goblet up against any I've done and it wins! The transitional flow is perfect! And you know I LOVE CHERRY!!!!!

Glad you're back, but don't overdo it. The long haul is more important.

Bruce

Dick Parr
05-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Great job John, everything about it looks beautiful.;)

Vaughn McMillan
05-11-2006, 2:49 AM
Sweet goblet, John. You nailed all the criteria. Glad to see you're back in the game and playing through the pain, but of course you know not to push it too hard.

- Vaughn

Barry Stratton
05-11-2006, 3:04 AM
That is one fine goblet - I'd drink out of it! Good to see you spinning again.....

Karl Laustrup
05-11-2006, 5:21 AM
Hey Bud, that's a verrrry nice looking goblet. I do like the design and the line between goblet and stem sets the piece off for me.

Glad you were able to get to use the spinny thing again.

Karl

John Hart
05-11-2006, 5:50 AM
I am extreeeemly happy to see you whackin' away John!!! Nice Goblet sir!!! You win.;) :)

Chris Barton
05-11-2006, 6:39 AM
Looks good to me!

John Miliunas
05-11-2006, 7:47 AM
Thanks gents! As always, you're way, way too kind! :o It's only a small thing (3" diameter, 4-1/4" tall), but I'm just not too sure I can work through a larger piece right now. Still, it was indeed fun and a nice break from all the flatwork I've been on recently. :) Hey, speaking of round work, am I too late for the Bonker contest??? :rolleyes: :D (Yeah...I know: "What a maroon!!!":D ) Thanks again guys!:cool:

Joe Mioux
05-11-2006, 7:54 AM
HI John:

As others have mentioned it looks very nice, but most importantly you had some fun creating it.

Good Job
JOe

Keith Burns
05-11-2006, 8:19 AM
Very nice goblet John:) Sorry about you wrist problem and I do wish you a speedy recovery. As to being to late for the Bonker Contest, I don't think you could ever be to late. Bring it on!!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2006, 9:44 PM
Beautiful job on the goblet John. Hope your condition gets better to the point you can at least turn some.

Ernie Nyvall
05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your Pain John, but glad you could make it through such a nice goblet.

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
05-12-2006, 2:11 AM
Very nice John. I like it. :D Now...you better take care of yourself and get better real soon. Sometimes, the lathe work is just simple therapy for the mind and body. ;)

Mark Cothren
05-12-2006, 7:34 AM
Lookin' good to me, John!!! Nice work! Speedy recovery!!!

Mark Singer
05-12-2006, 9:04 AM
John,
That is a beauty! I would fill it with Cerveza and have some chips with Guacamole....wait I think we missed Cinco de Mayo....pease don't send me that joke again for the 4th year:rolleyes: Great job and nice proportions...!

Tyler Howell
05-12-2006, 10:11 AM
You guys are making these spinny secret code words up.:confused:
That's Ok, I still think it's great.:cool:

Ed Scolforo
05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
John, Sorry to heat you're having problems. That goblet sure is a beauty. Keep 'em coming (be careful!).
Ed

Mike Ramsey
05-12-2006, 11:36 AM
John, that's a great first effort buddy!!