PDA

View Full Version : steady rest wheels

joe zarnitz
05-10-2006, 6:28 PM
what size or type to get --thanks,joe

Dick Parr
05-10-2006, 6:57 PM
I use 3" soft wheels I got off some skates from the pawn shop. Walmart use to sell them but I couldn't find any so I thought of the pawn shop. I picked up two sets of skates for $5. I took the wheels off and mounted them on my jet mini and sanded them smooth.

Good luck.

There are a lot of them on line if nothing else, but I would say you want soft ones so they don't make up you work when they turn.;)

Brad Hart
05-10-2006, 7:54 PM
my 2 steadies have 2.5 and 4" respectively from rollerblades. You want the nonmarring type which is most of them available. You also want blade wheels over rollerskate wheels as the bearings are usually better.

Clem Wixted
05-10-2006, 8:11 PM
I use 3" soft wheels I got off some skates from the pawn shop. I took the wheels off and mounted them on my jet mini and sanded them smooth.

Did you mount them on a shaft?

Clem

Dick Parr
05-11-2006, 1:01 AM
Clem, I just stacked the up on the my pen mandrel and used some spacers and washers to hold them so they would tighten up. Loaded them just like a pen blank.;)

Edit: Brad is right about the Rollerblade wheels, that is what I meant to say.

Clem Wixted
05-11-2006, 7:29 AM
Thanks, Dick,

Simple is often better. I picked up a pair of rollerblades at a yard sale for 10 cents. New wheels on one blade and good ones on the other. Now I'll clean them up and be ready to mount on a steady rest.

Clem

Tom Hintz
05-11-2006, 3:24 PM
I always use the polyurethane wheels from inline skates as they are a nice size and the poly material does not mark up the wood. Plus, you can find them just about anywhere they sell stuff for kids or those of us older folks that still think we can't break.

Gilbert Vega
05-11-2006, 8:44 PM
what size or type to get --thanks,joe
I used some roller blade wheels given to me. The design was not my own but from a member in our woodturning club.