PDA

View Full Version : Boy am I dumb!

Chris Oakley
08-31-2003, 4:07 PM
There I was building a router table for my new Hitachi M12V when I step back, bump the router off my table saw. The router fell to the ground and ended up cutting the cord. IT WAS BRAND NEW! Anyone know how much these cords cost to replace?

markus shaffer
08-31-2003, 4:30 PM
i've seen replacement cords at home depot for around 7-10 bucks i think. maybe not even that much. they have them in the section with extention cords. basically it's a short extention cord with the recepticle end cut off and a three prong plug at the other end. i can't remember if it had terminal connectors already attached or not. should be easy enough to open the router up and see the exact connections. if there are connection terminals, you can buy small packages of them as well if they are not included with the cord. if i remember correctly, those extentions only came in bright orange though.. the other option is to just get a normal extention cord and cut off then end of that and wire in the length that you want(nice option if you have the need for a longer cord). i've done this with a couple circular saws that i managed to cut through the cords. this may or may not cost less than ordering a new replacement cord, but you certainly could have it done quicker than the time it would take to order a new one. make sure the wire guage of the new cord is the same as the old one.

-markus

Ken Garlock
08-31-2003, 4:44 PM
Hi Chris.

If you plan to use the new router in the table ONLY, and given that the cut is a couple feet up from the plug, then cut of the cord at the cut and rewire the router with the good piece of cord. If it is going to be in the table anyway, you only need a couple feet to reach your switched outlet box.

If it is your general purpose router for both in and out of the table, I would contact Hitachi and get a genuine replacement part and chock it up to experience. Yes, you will pay more from Hitachi, but you will have the correct part for the machine, and not have to jury-rig a solution.

Speaking of jury-rig, you could just cut the cord all the way through and splice it back together. I have done that trick to several of the extension cords that like to jump into the mouth of the hedge clippers :eek: , and they have worked for years.

Good Luck,

Bobby Hatfield
08-31-2003, 6:34 PM
There I was building a router table for my new Hitachi M12V when I step back, bump the router off my table saw. The router fell to the ground and ended up cutting the cord. IT WAS BRAND NEW! Anyone know how much these cords cost to replace?

Been There Done That. It was my new $400 Virutex lipping planer. Tangled up my big feet in the cord and yanked it off the table and broke the handle into a handful of plastic pieces. Makes you sick. Since then when changing the parts position, the planer goes on the floor, always, not on the table. Guys working for me think I'm touched in the head, but the planer is still in good shape and working fine.

Keith Outten
08-31-2003, 6:35 PM
If it was me I would cut the cord about 6" from the router and intall a plug end. I always end up using an extention cord in my shop anyway and it sure would be nice not to have to deal with the long cords on my electrical tools when I place them on the shelf in the toolroom.

I bought several 12 foot cords and hang them at each of the outlets I use regularly for hand held tools. I have overhead hooks all over my shop ceiling that I use to hold the cords up high and out of the way. Routers especially are a real pain when you have to stop and move the electrical cord.

Mike Evertsen
08-31-2003, 9:01 PM
If it was me I would cut the cord about 6" from the router and intall a plug end. I always end up using an extention cord in my shop anyway and it sure would be nice not to have to deal with the long cords on my electrical tools when I place them on the shelf in the toolroom.

I bought several 12 foot cords and hang them at each of the outlets I use regularly for hand held tools. I have overhead hooks all over my shop ceiling that I use to hold the cords up high and out of the way. Routers especially are a real pain when you have to stop and move the electrical cord.

I have thought of doing this to all my hand power tools ,,,,, use a twist male plug ends on the extention cords and put a female end on the tools no one can borrow them,,,,,,,,

Ken Frantz
09-01-2003, 1:54 PM
About 20 years ago I changed all of my tools to the small twist lock type of plugs and used the pull down cords from the ceiling and made a couple of cords with the twist connection on standard plugs------BUT---remember to put one in your work truck and KEEP IT THERE!!!! DON'T ASK WHY!!!!!! JUST DO IT!!!

KEN

Ken Frantz
09-01-2003, 2:01 PM
HEY I forgot to ask something else!!!

Years ago some company made some electric hand tools with a plug setup just like the old electric clothe irons but smaller.

Who made those tools and I wonder why it didn't catch on!!! Sure be nice to have tools without a cord dangling on it!!!

KEN

Bart Leetch
09-01-2003, 4:45 PM
I have never had a corded tool fall off the bench.....why???

Because when I was a kid & Dad found me with a corded tool setting on the bench I got told to put it on the floor where it can't fall remember I make a living with that tool I can't afford to have it land on the floor & break its not only the cost of the tool but the time I lose going to get another if I can find one.

I have a friend that has always given me a bad time about putting my corded tools on the floor.

I stood in his shop one day patiently watching him straighten out the adjustable fence on his DeWalt biscuit joiner that had made a 1 point landing from the bench onto the floor. I never said a thing I just smiled & nodded to him each time he would look my way.

Ed Falis
09-01-2003, 6:16 PM
.... I never said a thing I just smiled & nodded to him each time he would look my way.

You're a cruel man, Bart.

- Ed

Phil Phelps
09-01-2003, 7:37 PM
How much for a cord? Let's see. Stick finger in routers' handy hole with ogee bit and turn router on. $975.00. See how smart you are :D

Howard Barlow
09-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Last week, after I removed my PC7518 from the table, I was admiring how after 5 years it still looked brand new. :D

Of course, that's when I turned to reach for something, catching my sleeve :eek: on the bit, knocking it to the shop floor. :mad: I didn't want to look. :( Fortunately, only one small mark on the top housing. :rolleyes:

At least your cord gave its life saving the machine. :D

It never fails.

Don Farr
09-03-2003, 8:03 AM
Good grief guys. I think I am going to leave work, drive back home and put my router on the floor. :D Because I know that it was left out on the work bench last night.

Lee Schierer
09-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Go to your local HD, Lowes or other hardware store and buy a three wire extension cord that is about 6 feet long with the heaviest wire you can find. Should cost you around $12. Then take it home, cut off the female end, strip back the insulation and put the new cord on your power tool. Most of the internal connections wil be press-in connections.

I've done this on several tools that developed problems with the power cords.

David LaRue
09-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Chris,

The only gotcha in replacing the cord is the strain relief on the cable. They make them and there is a special tool to install them.

Here is a link to one for a Skil Saw, cord and strain relief:

Strain Relief and Replacement Cord (http://store.yahoo.com/mendingshed/skilcordsleeve.html)

Hope this helps...

;)

Gee I wonder why they make them for circ saws... betcha they have e'm for hedge trimmer too. :D

Rob Russell
09-03-2003, 3:50 PM
I have thought of doing this to all my hand power tools ,,,,, use a twist male plug ends on the extention cords and put a female end on the tools no one can borrow them,,,,,,,,

BAD IDEA!!!

Sorry about the huge text size, but I didn't want anyone to go down this path without realizing it's not a good idea.

That means you'd have a HOT male plug - very dangerous. There's no way I want live prongs sticking out, just waiting to be touched. You're asking for electrocution with hot male plugs.

If you want to replace all your plugs with twistlocks - that's fine. Please use male and female plugs in their normal (safe) locations - female is the hot end, male extention cord or male tool gets plugged into the hot female plug. If you really want to throw people for a loop, use 4-wire, 3-pole 125/250VAC grounded plugs and only use (1) of the hot legs. That would really leave 'em scratching their heads.

Rob