PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Chisel Set

Daniel Heine
05-10-2006, 1:48 PM
Hello,

Woodcraft has a brand new 8 peice set of chisels available for only $74.99.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5823

I've been looking for a quality set of chisels for dovetails, and other applications. What do you think of these tools?

Thanks,
Dan Heine

Michael Morin dit Boucher
05-10-2006, 2:17 PM
If you are into cutting your own dovetails by hand I would concentrate on acquiring 1/8 and 1/4 and 3/8 inch chisels. The larger chisels do not get alot of use in my shop. I also tend to rely on the the smaller mortise chisels as well for dovetails.

Rather than spend alot of money on a whole set I would buy individually. You might also consider the older antique chisels. The steel seems far superior and easier to sharpen than the mixed/hardenend chisels of today....but thats only one man's opinion.:)

Greg Heppeard
05-10-2006, 2:23 PM
If you're looking at Woodcraft, you could get the Sorby brand instead. You can get them as individuals or by sets.

Ron Church
05-10-2006, 6:21 PM
Yesterday I received a summer sales flyer from Grizzly. That new Woodcraft chisel set looks like the same new set that Grizzly has an introductory price of $39.95. Sale starts May 13th. I have been completely happy with my Grizzly Japanese chisel set.

Take care,
Ron

Mike Henderson
05-10-2006, 6:35 PM
Let me second Ron's satisfaction with the Grizzly Japanese chisel set. I've been very happy with mine and find that they have become my first choice of chisels.

The Japanese chisels are somewhat harder than western chisels, and I find that the edge holds up longer.

The negatives of Japanese chisels are that some people have trouble with the edge "chipping", perhaps due to their technique, or brittle steel in their chisels. I have not experienced any chipping with the Grizzly set. Also, the Japanese chisels do not come with the hoops fully set so you have to do some work to get them in the right place. It's not terribly hard but you wonder why the manufacturer doesn't do it for you.

Mike

Mike Wenzloff
05-10-2006, 6:44 PM
Hi Daniel,

My only experience with the brand is their turning tools. I bought a set for my oldest last year. Softer than say the Crown or Sorby's, but they hold up more than reasonably for their price.

If you get them, let us know how they work out.

Take care, Mike