PDA

View Full Version : Table Top

Larry Crim
05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Getting ready to start on my dining room table and need advice on how wide to make the boards. My plan is to run the boards side to side since I will have a leaf insert. I am using cherry and have some nice stock that is pretty stable and should plane out at about 1" thick so I was hoping to get away with using fairly wide boards there will also be a 3" to 4" apron under the edge recessed in about 1.5" from the edge. Have not decided on the legs yet but wanted to do 2 pedistals but may opt to just use the 4 legged aproach. Also does anyone have any recommendations on a good book geared toward table design and construction?
Thanks
Larry

Jim Becker
05-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Larry, I generally prefer wider boards for any form of table top, or at least very careful grain matching to make joinery as "invisible" as possible. Your decision also need to entail whether you want all your boards the same width or not with this arrangement of construction. The figure of the lumber is going to be part of that since highly figured stock will have noticeable joinery.

Larry Crim
05-10-2006, 1:13 PM
Good point jim, I was planning on same width boards all the way across and I am hoping I do not have a issue with grain I have 100+BF of 5/4 to pick and choose from so should'nt be a issue.