PDA

View Full Version : Shop Update

Forrest Price
05-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Well folks, making slow progress on the shop rebuild, but at least it's progress.

I've got the cabinet saw running again, picked up a new drill press, mitersaw and shopvac from Home Depot. I've just about finished rebuilding the Powermatic 3520 lathe. I got a new freq drive for it, sandblasted all the fire damge off, sanded primed and repainted the lathe (just went white). All I've left to do is replace the headstock bearings. thought they might have survived, but no such luck. At least it goes spinny again!

The shop is not anywhere near the shop it used to be, but it's nice to have a space to work in again. As it is, I've only got the tablesaw, drill press and mitersaw to use right now. Still have to get a router and table setup, and repair the bandsaw, dust collector, mini lathe, jointer and get a new planer.

Will be nice to get operational once again.
Here's the new shop:

Jim Becker
05-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the update, Forrest. That's a fine looking building! Is the new structure on the exact same footprint/size of the previous?

Your statement, "The shop is not anywhere near the shop it used to be, but it's nice to have a space to work in again" is interesting. Pick out a few things about the old shop that you really, really liked and duplicate them where/when you can and also pick out a few things that were lacking in the old facility and find a new way that you find appealing. You have so much opportunity here coming out of a bit of disaster.

Forrest Price
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Jim,
That's sound advise. Shop size is exactly the same. I reloacted the entry door to the front and put in a smaller roll-up door. This gave me more working room inside by opening up the front left corner which is where the lathes are now.

I guess the most depressing part of this new shop, is all the burned up tools and tables still inside. It took me 20 yrs to accumulate all the goodies in there and hate to think of another 20 to get back to where I was. The big tools were all less than 2 years old, so that was a big chunk of change lost.

Still have stuff outside that needs rebuilding (welders, spindle sander, belt sander, big air comp) as well and loads of boxes to go thru sifting the salvageable from the trashed pieces. All takes time.

Old shop had nice cab units in it with a nice mitersaw station, several roll around tables, good storage, all stations plumbed for the DC. I'll get there eventually.

I'll post pics of the lathe when I get it done. Then I need to get the big air comp rebuilt, and after that I'll attack the bandsaw, then jointer. By that time I hope to be able to afford a new planer. Either a Ridgid like I had or that neat looking new Dewalt!

Tyler Howell
05-10-2006, 2:55 PM
I'm feeling your pain
Forest. I don't know what I'd do in your situation:confused:
You'll be back full speed before long. Well done.

Jim O'Dell
05-10-2006, 3:23 PM
Time will make the new shop have it's own special place in your heart. Remember, it's not what the shop is made of, it's what's made in the shop that counts. Jim.

Bart Leetch
05-10-2006, 3:25 PM
What casued the fire Forrest. Glad to see your recovering.

Forrest Price
05-10-2006, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

Bart, the fire started from a heater in my dog kennel which was right next to the shop Dec 4th 2005. Once the flames got up under the eaves, they ignited the insulation/condensation board and that stuff went up like it was soaked in gasoline! Naturally, the stuff we all have in our garages/shopss (wood, chemicals etc) added to it and really got things burning hot. Add a can of kerosene and kerosene heater and you even get a couple decent BOOMS out of it.

Insurance THANKFULLY covered the structure, but I'm out a little over 14K in tools and personal items.

Heres another pic:

Roy Wall
05-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Forrest,

We are with you my friend!! Keep at when you can and enjoy that new shop!!

Jerry Olexa
05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Wow...Tough turn of events. Have patience, keep the faith and soon you'll be back enjoying the new shop. BTW, enjoy the journey: restoring the tools, etc. It'll all work out

Boyd Gathwright
05-11-2006, 1:54 AM
Well folks, making slow progress on the shop rebuild, but at least it's progress.

I've got the cabinet saw running again, picked up a new drill press, mitersaw and shopvac from Home Depot. I've just about finished rebuilding the Powermatic 3520 lathe. I got a new freq drive for it, sandblasted all the fire damge off, sanded primed and repainted the lathe (just went white). All I've left to do is replace the headstock bearings. thought they might have survived, but no such luck. At least it goes spinny again!

The shop is not anywhere near the shop it used to be, but it's nice to have a space to work in again. As it is, I've only got the tablesaw, drill press and mitersaw to use right now. Still have to get a router and table setup, and repair the bandsaw, dust collector, mini lathe, jointer and get a new planer.

Will be nice to get operational once again.
Here's the new shop:

Hi Forrest,

.... Nice looking building and sorry about your tragedy. I don't know if I would every recover from such an event. I remember when this happen but I don't remember if you lost your dog as well? And I am thinking you had more than one as I recall?

Good luck to you and may you never see another fire.

.:).

Forrest Price
05-11-2006, 2:52 AM
Hi Forrest,

.... Nice looking building and sorry about your tragedy. I don't know if I would every recover from such an event. I remember when this happen but I don't remember if you lost your dog as well? And I am thinking you had more than one as I recall?

Good luck to you and may you never see another fire.

.:).

Hello, I got the dogs out before too much damage. We have German Shorthaired Pointers (3 now) and our male received some pretty serious burns on his left side. I think something must have fallen in on him. Not sure.
He's recovered very well and the only evidence is a small area on his left front shoulder that is still healing.

Here he is before the fire. Looks almost as good now thankfully!

Frank Pellow
05-11-2006, 7:12 AM
Thanks for nthe thread Forrest. It certainly seems like, with your good attitude and your determined work, you will evetually get back a fully functional shop. I admire your efforts.

I do have one question. It appears to me from the pictures that neither your old shop nor your new shop has any windows. Is that true and, if so, why?

Bob Noles
05-11-2006, 8:46 AM
Forrest,

The new structure is coming along nicely from the looks of the picture. Glad to see you rebounding from your tragedy and one day down the road you will have it all together again and probably even better than before. We know it is hard work, but please know that the good folks here at SMC have sent up prayers since this happened and you have remained in our thoughts to help you get thru this.

Al Navas
05-11-2006, 8:59 AM
I am glad you are OK, Forrest. The most important thing is your health, and of those around you. I admire your patience in getting through this! Hang in there!

Al

Andy Hoyt
05-11-2006, 9:11 AM
Really admire the way you've recovered Forrest, and how quickly you've gotten to this stage. Be proud.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2006, 9:12 AM
Glad to see things are recovering Forrest!

Forrest Price
05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
...I do have one question. It appears to me from the pictures that neither your old shop nor your new shop has any windows. Is that true and, if so, why?

You saw it right. No windows. Reason being is I didn't want to give up the wall space. It's a 24x30 shop and really, when I layed out all the tools I had previously on paper I didn't have a lot of room for windows. Thinking back on it now there just wasn't space available. I used every bit of wall space for something, be it shelves, clamps, cabinets or wood storage.

I use a bunch of 8 ft flourescents up high and get really good lighting inside, and of course have the door up all the time in good weather.

Seth Poorman
05-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey Forrest
Nice new shop, good luck.

Jim O'Dell
05-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Glad to hear the dogs are alright/recovering. I know i'd have lost it if I lost one of my dogs. For my wife and I they are out kids. Jim.