PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Power Sprayer for fence.

Bill Lewis
05-10-2006, 9:32 AM
I've been thinking I need to paint* my fence that surrounds the property. The only way to make this job possible would be to get an airless sprayer that can feed directly from the can. One that can handle a 5 gallon can would be best. So I'm looking for one that won't cost a bloody fortune but will still give me decent reults.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Is it possible to rent them? I'm thinking probably not as there too much of a clean-up issue.

*Paint = opaque stain, most likely

Mike Goetzke
05-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Wagner makes a 2 or 2-1/2 gal. electric high pressure airless sprayer for around $150. I think it's called a Paint Crew.

I have "popcorn" ceilings in my house that needed painting. I tried other airless and power roller type tools that didn't cut it. On a recommendation from a friend I bought the PaintCrew. This thing throws out the paint (even thick latex). I was able to paint 3-bedroom ceilings in less than 30 min. (but it took probably 2 hours to prep the room and clean the painter). You can buy different nozzles depending on how wide of a fan you want.

Good Luck.

Sam Shank
05-10-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm lucky in that I have a good friend that owns a CH unit... but I've seen them for rent at all the sherwin williams I've been to.

Vaughn McMillan
05-10-2006, 2:16 PM
Bill, I've got one of the lower-end Wagner airless sprayers. (It's either this one (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=133727-97-0500012&lpage=none) or this one (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=133756-97-0500013&lpage=none)...I don't recall for sure). I bought it to spray the walls and popcorn ceiling in one room of a house we were selling a couple years ago. I was using thick latex, and it didn't really have enough suction to pull the paint from the can through the clear hose, although it did pretty well if I used the cup. Because I was using the cup, it didn't do very well on the overhead stuff since it couldn't get a reliable flow of paint, but the walls were nice and easy. I'd think it would work nicely for opaque stain on a fence (out of the bucket, too). One other caveat is that it's LOUD. Hearing protection or prior deafness is a must. ;)

I've not used mine since I finished the one room I bought it for. If you'd be interested in it, I'd be willing to make a deal on it. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

- Vaughn

Jeff Horton
05-10-2006, 2:25 PM
I have rented them several times. I bought one when we started building the house because renting was going to be to much. Otherwise I would rather rent no more than I use one.

I was responsible to return it clean or to pay a hefty cleaning fee. If you use latex paint it's just a mater of running water through it. LOTS of water! You will be surprised at how much paint an hose can hold. But unless you really need one look at the rental places.

Brian MacDonald
05-10-2006, 6:14 PM
I picked up a Wagner Paint Crew from Gleempaint.com for $99 refurbished. They've also got a special with 2 extra filters and an extra tip for $20.

Bill Lewis
05-11-2006, 7:23 AM
Brian, thanks for the link. They're out of stock on the re-con Wagner Paintcrew units. They have them new for $149 though, however for $60 more there's a Spraytech recon unit that looks a bit "beefier"

Right now I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there and what it's going to cost. I've got 2 + acres of 4-board, 5 ft. fencing around the property plus a low garden fence to do so I just don't think the really low end units are going to last (Sorry Vaughn, I'd like to help you out, and I do appreciate the offer).

I used to see used airless sprayers lined up at the Home Depot return counter all of the time. I figured guys would get a job and buy a sprayer, then return it when they were done. Shortly thereafter, they changed their policy on sprayers, and returns in general. This is why I assumed that rentals were unavailable. However, given that this job will take me a long time to complete, buying probably still makes sense.

I really shouldn't be thinking about this, I've got my deck to build this spring/summer. :eek: I hope to start the week of Memorial Day.

Steve Schoene
05-11-2006, 8:48 AM
It will only take a phone call or two to check out rentals. I suspect they are available as a rental. A deposit ensures that you return it clean.

tod evans
05-11-2006, 8:54 AM
bill, i just suggested to larry in another thread that he go to the local sherwin-williams and enquire about pros looking to upgrade their airless equipment. unless you`re spraying several hundred gallons a year used is a good deal and most painters take pretty good care of their equipment..02 tod

john whittaker
05-11-2006, 1:02 PM
Bill, I have the same Wagner as Vaughn shows in his post. It is not suitable to spray flat interior walls. I have stained many many outdoor fences & decks. (Normally colored stains) with this unit with very good success. The key is...the surface you are spraying needs to be a little porous. It works very well on split rail or other wooden fences and decking. Not very well on sheet rock etc....

If you are staining exterior fence....I recommend making Vaughn an offer.....

Ron Franssen
05-11-2006, 1:27 PM
You should check out Gleem paint on the web. They sale a whole variety of air/airless sprayers. Pay particular attention to the "specials" section. They have the wagner paint crew and a 404 model for around $150. They really know their stuff too. Good luck. www.gleempaint.com (http://www.gleempaint.com)