PDA

View Full Version : Move a TS into my basement

John Leslie
05-10-2006, 12:00 AM
I am building up a workshop in my basement. In the not too distant future I will be purchasing a 3 HP table saw. (leaning towards the Powermatic PM2000). So my question is after the shipper drops the monster pallet off in my garage, can I realistically expect to disassemble it into enough lugable pieces to transport it down the stairs into the basement?

Thanks
- John

William Daly
05-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Send an e-mail to the manufacturer and ask them to what extent the saw is assembled.

You may have to get some help from your neighbors.

The least expensive place for tools is Amazon.

No sales tax and free UPS Grounf shipping, although the PM TS may have a freight surcharge.

A word of warning though, the more people you ask to help you, the more people will know you have a brand new saw and want to come over an use it.

S Larkin
05-10-2006, 6:33 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have a half-flight of wood stairs into my basement. I screw a couple 2x12s side-by-side to slide tools down to the basement floor. A buddy and I wrestled a fully-assembled PM66, a 300lb. work bench top, a PM15 planer and other tools down this ramp. I slid the jointer, band saw and drill press myself with plenty of blaspheming. Line up at least one full-size helper and put some beer on ice.

Mike Canaris
05-10-2006, 6:40 AM
You can go ahead and remove the wings,top and motor. I wouldn't go any further to remove the trunnions out of the cab cavity..cause that would lead to haiving to align everything later..this way you only have to deal with reinstalling the top and aligning it.

Charlie Schultz
05-10-2006, 6:41 AM
My basement stairs make a 90 degree turn about half way down. For my PM66, I wound up taking the top off, disconnecting the wiring and taking the motor out, and removing the cranks and taking the trunnion out. And I still needed another body...

Scott Fernald
05-10-2006, 7:13 AM
As an FYI - the PM2000 is fully assembled minus the cast iron wings. There is not much weight savings to be had by unpackaging it unless you want to disassemble it - I wouldn't want to get into that...

The box and pallet it ships on is very well made - I would go for the sliding technique to get it to the basement if at all possible, that is how I got it out of my truck (only to the garage thankfully). At about 600#, it's no lightweight......

The fence & rails come in seperate boxes.

I can measure the pallet for you if you want so you know what the footprint would be.

John Leslie
05-10-2006, 7:20 AM
Thanks Scott,

Knowing the dimensions of the pallet would be very useful if it would not be too much trouble.

- John

John Leslie
05-10-2006, 7:22 AM
William,

Hmm, hanging out with a bunch of guys talking about wood - maybe I ought to have a block party <g>.

tod evans
05-10-2006, 7:39 AM
john, a block-n-tackle makes dealing with weight on an incline pretty easy. .02 tod

Tim Clark
05-10-2006, 8:04 AM
You can rent a heavy duty appliance hand truck from U-Haul for a few bucks. Definately a back saver. You and a couple buddies should be able to handle it.

The block & tackle suggestion is excellent too, coupled with the HT.

A racheting "come-along" winch that will let out cable (reversable, some are only one way) could be another good option. They're relatively inexpensive (and you know you want one anyway:D ). Strap the TS into the hand truck, line up with the stairs/ramp, attach the cable and ratchet it down with the winch. Wheel into place, pop a top.:cool:

Tyler Howell
05-10-2006, 8:26 AM
Piano Movers,
Painless.
They used the shoulder straps when they did my PM66
I paid for a hour so I had them bring in sheet goods, take out the garbage, walk the dog and wash the dishes.;)

Jim Becker
05-10-2006, 9:48 AM
If you decide to remove the top, pay very careful attention to any shims located under the bolts...they are NOT washers, but precise thickness shims that insure that the saw will cut true when the blade is tilted. They must be reinstalled in exactly the same positions.... ;)

Rob Bodenschatz
05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
The pallet is 30 1/2" x 36". My door is 30" wide and we crammed it though there. You can't move this thing yourself so get a few friends. Better yet, hire those piano movers that Tyler recommends.

Not sure if it'll help your situation but I cranked up the castors while the saw was still on the pallet and rolled it right off. Build a little ramp using a 2x4 and a strong sheet of something up to the pallet. Make sure the angle isn't too steep. Crank the castors up real high so the bottom of the saw doesn't catch.

I don't envy you trying to get this thing down the stairs. Guess it's better than up. :eek:

Good luck.

EDIT: Actually, my door is 30 3/4" wide. Not sure why I wrote 30". We had 1/4" to spare.

Jerry Olexa
05-10-2006, 10:39 AM
In general, disaasemble as much as u can BUT watch the sections requiting accuracy. You'll probably have to tune it once in the basement. Be careful...

JayStPeter
05-10-2006, 10:55 AM
When I first got my Unisaw, it took 3 strong guys to get it off my truck and onto the mobile base. When I moved, the movers knocked it over. So, I completely disassembled it to ensure everything was OK.
With no extensions or fence on, I was able to get mine down the stairs to my basement on an appliance dolly. I had a friend there helping, but pretty much did it myself. It was good having him there though. An appliance dolly is a worthwhile investment if you have a basement shop (only around $70 at Lowes).
I've since learned that removing the top and motor aren't that big of a deal. Like Jim said, watch the shims, mark them and reinstall them in the same place. Also measure from the miter slot to the blade before you start so you can get it back aligned properly. Setting a combo square to the correct measurement is the easiest way to ensure you get it exact.
With the motor and table off, I was able to lift the cabinet out and back in the mobile base myself. The PM base/trunnion may be a little heavier, but you can definitely get it down your basement stairs by yourself if you take it apart.
No matter what you do, align the blade to the miter slot before installing the wings and fence. Makes it a lot easier.

Jay

Lars Thomas
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
I moved my Jet into the basement by myself. I took off the top and the motor and just went one step at a time. I used a web clamp to help get ‘my hands’ around it. No problem. I did my band saw using the sliding method. Let’s just say, I’m glad I was quick enough to get out of the way!

Scott Fernald
05-10-2006, 9:34 PM
Thanks Scott,

Knowing the dimensions of the pallet would be very useful if it would not be too much trouble.

- John

Just measured the pallet and it is 30"x36"...

No trouble at all once I remembered to check this thread! :eek:

EDIT: oops - finished reading and realized I was late to the party....

John Poole
05-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Don't let anyone be in line with the load, i.e. below it, should someone loose control of it. A well meaning friend could be seriously injured because everyone overestimated their ability and underestimated the momentum a heavy piece can gain when ascending a staircase. Moreover, someone could do some serious muscle damage trying to prevent something from moving when control is lost.

Better yet, buy the insurance of keeping any friends from being hurt and hire movers who move heavy equipment on stairs.

John Leslie
05-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks all for your helpful advice. I appreciate your shared experience.

Aaron Beaver
05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I used an appliance dolly, strapped the thind to it, one person in front and one behind. Only had 4 steps to get it down but overall it wasn't bad.

Christopher Stahl
05-11-2006, 4:19 PM
Get an appliance dolly and you should be set. My wife and I were able to get my Unisaw down to the basement with not much problem other than the 90 degree toward the top. Just take it slow and don't hurt yourself. Her and I were also able to get it on the mobile base when we took it off the skid.

Scott Loven
05-11-2006, 4:48 PM
I recommend a big trap door in the kitchen floor, say 4'*4' with a big eye bolt and pulley system centered over the trap door. You can remove the pulley system from the eye hook when not using it if the wife objects. Note: Best to cut the hole in the floor this weekend while the wife is at the mother-in laws for mothers day! Also read words to Brick layers song before you move the saw!
http://www.vincentpeters.nl/triskelle/lyrics/sicknote.php?index=080.010.060.030

Chip Olson
05-12-2006, 5:08 PM
I recommend a big trap door in the kitchen floor, say 4'*4' with a big eye bolt and pulley system centered over the trap door. You can remove the pulley system from the eye hook when not using it if the wife objects. Note: Best to cut the hole in the floor this weekend while the wife is at the mother-in laws for mothers day!

A friend tells me of someone on a machinists' forum he frequents who got a Bridgeport milling machine into his basement by wating until his wife was going to be out for several hours. He and some friends peeled back the living-room rug, cut a big hole in the floor, brought the mill in through the sliding glass door and lowered it through the hole into the basement, replaced the floor cutout, sistered the joists, and put the rug back just as it was. She never thought to ask how they got the mill down there.

I take no responsibility for any disruptions to uxorial harmony that may result from my posting this information.

Bart Leetch
05-12-2006, 8:56 PM
I would take the wings off & motor out & leave the top alone put something in place to slide the saw down on using a blanket or piece of carpet with the help of a friend.