PDA

View Full Version : How about wooden computers?

Larry Browning
05-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Check this out! http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/62/1/

BTW This site is an example of what seems to happen to me all the time while using firefox. Why does it not paint this page correctly?

Tyler Howell
05-10-2006, 9:08 AM
Way cool.
TJH

Chris Fite
05-10-2006, 2:38 PM
The page looks fine to me. I am running Firefox 1.0.6 with Mandriva Linux.

Larry Browning
05-11-2006, 9:03 AM
The page looks fine to me. I am running Firefox 1.0.6 with Mandriva Linux.
I am not saying I didn't see the page, it's just that there is text that overlays other text and pictures. When viewed via IE things lineup just fine. Plus I was looking for comments from others running Windows. I think the problem has to do with the way a web site is developed, but I really don't know. I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to why this is. Plus, if Firefox is so great, why can't they display ALL web pages correctly? Why is there even a need for a plug-in which allows you to view a web page using IE?

Jim Becker
05-11-2006, 9:39 AM
Larry, it's often caused by poor coding and/or poor testing. Further, even when things are coded correctly, Firefox sometimes interprets pages slightly different than IE...'just enough to be annoying. I have this issue with some of my pages and it drives me nuts having to compromise on positioning just to insure things don't "break" cross-browser. Where I see it most is when I'm using percentages, rather than exact positioning, such as for floating columns.

Mike Ramsey
05-11-2006, 1:31 PM
The Firefox comment made me curious so I exited out from IE6
then came back in with Firefox, It looks fine on my PC, the only
real difference is that the pages load faster with FF. I am running
Windows...
Oh now that I look at Jim's post I'm noticing that his signature lines are not showing
with FF?!
Ok edit again! No ones signature lines are being displayed by FF, on my PC anyway!

Larry Browning
05-11-2006, 3:16 PM
So, I'm having one problem with FF and Mike is having another (which I don't have BTW) and IE doesn't seem to have either problems. Yet, everywhere I go on the internet and everyone I talk to says the FF is so much better than IE and can't understand why anyone in their right mind would ever want to use IE. At the same time, in my experience, I have never been to a web site that IE didn't paint properly. I guess my point is that in some ways IE is actually a BETTER browser than FF. After all, IE doesn't even have a button to "View this page in FireFox" because its not needed.
All of this doesn't mean that I am going to give up FF for IE (I like the tabbed browsing too much), but it does mean that when the new version of IE comes out, I'm going to give it a chance.

Ed Frie
05-12-2006, 8:00 AM
Isn't a wooden calculator called an abacus?;)

Curt Harms
05-12-2006, 11:28 AM
So, I'm having one problem with FF and Mike is having another (which I don't have BTW) and IE doesn't seem to have either problems. Yet, everywhere I go on the internet and everyone I talk to says the FF is so much better than IE and can't understand why anyone in their right mind would ever want to use IE. At the same time, in my experience, I have never been to a web site that IE didn't paint properly. I guess my point is that in some ways IE is actually a BETTER browser than FF. After all, IE doesn't even have a button to "View this page in FireFox" because its not needed.
All of this doesn't mean that I am going to give up FF for IE (I like the tabbed browsing too much), but it does mean that when the new version of IE comes out, I'm going to give it a chance.

I'm not a web developer, but I think it depends on whose standards are adhered to. I've read the people at Mozilla don't support activeX because they believe it too much of a security risk that can't be 'made safe' as one example. Microsoft has used proprietary file formats and 'extensions' as a means to lock users into Microsoft dictated standards e.g. Word's .doc format.

My reaction to that is the same as if Bosch produced router bits that only fit Bosch routers. Would I buy Bosch router bits (or Bosch routers)? Lucifer will have icicles in his beard first. I don't know if this is a good analogy but it's all I could come up with on short notice:o

Curt