PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Gloat! (subtitle: This time, I hope that the “Audi Gods” forgive me)

Frank Pellow
05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
In the thread about the construction of my workshop (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7769), there is a photo showing me bringing home a very long section of eavestrough on the roof rack of my Audi (see post #87 on page 6). Later on, the “Audi Gods” exacted their revenge by causing my key to break (see post #125 on page 9).

Well yesterday I had a (legal) deal that I could not refuse on 256 linear feet of good quality dressed 2x6 western red cedar (from British Columbia). The stipulation was that I had to take the wood with me right away. This time, I was about 40 kilometres (about 25 miles) from home. I loaded the wood on my roof rack

and drove home very slowly using city streets that I knew would be relatively empty in the early afternoon. It took me about an hour and a half.

Here is the wood stacked on the back wall of my shop:

John Kain
05-09-2006, 11:02 PM
With the price of gas these days, that batch must have cost you a fortune!;)

Nice haul. If it were me, I already have a deck swing plan all ready to go..........

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2006, 1:35 AM
Nice Gloat!

Bruce

Vaughn McMillan
05-10-2006, 1:56 AM
Nice score, Frank, and I like the wood storage on the side of the building. I may have to see if I have any comparable places. (I already have an unused mountain bike hanging from the eaves...I'd think I could find room for wood, too.)

Any idea what that lumber will become?

- Vaughn

Christian Aufreiter
05-10-2006, 3:22 AM
Hi Frank,

congrats on the wood.
Is it already seasoned/dry?

Regards,

Christian

PS: If the Audi Gods don't forgive you just go ahead and buy a different car. ;)

Frank Pellow
05-10-2006, 7:11 AM
Hi Frank,

congrats on the wood.
Is it already seasoned/dry?

Regards,

Christian
Hi Christian, thanks for the congratulations. From the stamps on the wood, it appears to have been milled in British Columbia a little over two years ago. The wood is light compared to some 16 foot 2x6 cedar I have lifted in the past so it apopears to be reasonably tried. I think that it has mostly been stored outside under cover.

PS: If the Audi Gods don't forgive you just go ahead and buy a different car. ;)Next year our Audi will be 10 years old, and we are thinking of replacing it at that time with a Suburu Forrester. So, the Audi Gods have been warned and maybe that will keep them docile.

Jim Becker
05-10-2006, 9:50 AM
Nice "haul" is apt!

Jerry Olexa
05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Ya did good...Nice acquire..

Frank Pellow
05-10-2006, 6:18 PM
Nice score, Frank, and I like the wood storage on the side of the building. I may have to see if I have any comparable places. (I already have an unused mountain bike hanging from the eaves...I'd think I could find room for wood, too.)

Any idea what that lumber will become?

- Vaughn
Thanks Vaughn.

The back of the shed provides me with over 40 running feet of semi-protected storage. I have only just started to take advantage of it.

I will strat with building a couple of sandboxes like the ones Joe Scarfo built and showed us in post #9 in the thread http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13700. The rest will be used to extend my deck (someday).

Mike Wenzloff
05-10-2006, 6:41 PM
Ah, Frank...

And to think I got a couple good boards of CVG Cedar only totaling about 80 bd/ft...

http://wenzloffandsons.com/temp/mikes_wood/slides/cedar_0001b.jpg

And the yellow area as a close-up:

http://wenzloffandsons.com/temp/mikes_wood/slides/cedar_0002.jpg

One 9 footer, one 11 foot. Both about 2 1/4" thick by 20" wide. Lot's of rings, though...

Take care, Mike

good score, btw!

Frank Pellow
05-10-2006, 8:48 PM
Ah, Frank...

And to think I got a couple good boards of CVG Cedar only totaling about 80 bd/ft...

One 9 footer, one 11 foot. Both about 2 1/4" thick by 20" wide. Lot's of rings, though...

Take care, Mike

good score, btw!
Mike, your cedar is definately of better quality than mine.

Frank Pellow
05-10-2006, 8:49 PM
Nice "haul" is apt!
Well put Jim. I wish that I had thought of those words.

Mike Wenzloff
05-10-2006, 9:17 PM
Hi Frank--it is nice wood. Doesn't help on some of my outdoor furniture projects I have for the summer season, though!

I went looking for 2 x 6 Cedar recently--enough of a cost to cause me to pause in my tracks. I wanted nice, just not sure *that* nice.

I do like finding wood deals, though. The fun of getting it home is worth it.

Take care, Mike

glenn bradley
05-10-2006, 9:22 PM
The kids will love the sandbox. I built one for my kids (now in thier 20's) and they played in it from toddler through Jr. High. A good investment (and pretty cheap too).

Frank Pellow
05-10-2006, 9:38 PM
Glenn, I am sure that the sandboxes will be a big hit with my grandchildren. Do you have plans for yours? Joe didn't when I asked him a couple of years ago.

Scott Vigder
05-11-2006, 1:58 AM
I'm afraid the Audi Gods will be venting their wrath upon you as I did notice a trailer hitch on the vehicle.....:rolleyes:

Frank Pellow
05-11-2006, 7:18 AM
I'm afraid the Audi Gods will be venting their wrath upon you as I did notice a trailer hitch on the vehicle.....:rolleyes:
Scott, with the way Margaret and I run our lives, owning a car without a trailer hitch, would be almost the same as owning no car at all. For instance yuesterday, the railer was used to haul 4 quite different loads to 4 different places.