PDA

View Full Version : What is acceptable

Corey Pionk
05-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok with my scratched table saw top I decided to check out my other newly aquired machines that I have not yet had a chance to thouroughly look at. So I checked my Yorkcraft 20" planer and came across this scratch. Now I feel I'm being bombarded with scratched machines. Now would this scratch be acceptable to anyone, it bothers me but not to the extent of the table saw since I only paid 1200 bucks for the planer. This scratch looks like someone took 80 grit sandpaper to it that doesn't really show in the picture. So I guess i will be calling to Wilkes again tommorrow and asking them what they can do. So what should I do about this one leave it alone or get the table replaced or the machine. I would accept a new table but I dont know how hard it would be to replace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Trigger3271/Planer002.jpg

Bart Leetch
05-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Give it 20 years & that scratch won't even show. After all its a machine to work with not a piece of fine Bone China.

A few scratches in my 52 year old Unisaw. some do not show up to well in the picture.

Chris Rosenberger
05-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I have bought many machines over the years & almost everyone had some type of scratch in the tables. They never bothered me because I looked at the table as what they are, work surfaces. With that being said & not being able to see as I used to. I can not tell from the picture how bad your scratch is. From what I can see,I do not think I would make a big issue out of it. It is not worth trearing the planer apart over.

Corey Pionk
05-09-2006, 10:59 PM
I have bought many machines over the years & almost everyone had some type of scratch in the tables. They never bothered me because I looked at the table as what they are, work surfaces. With that being said & not being able to see as I used to. I can not tell from the picture how bad your scratch is. From what I can see,I do not think I would make a big issue out of it. It is not worth trearing the planer apart over.

I'm thinking the same thing I just don't want to take the planer apart. The scratch actually looks like it has been filled in with something beacause I can run my nail across it and it feels smooth and I checked it with a straight edge and its perfectly flat.

Mark Carlson
05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm ok with a couple of scratches so long as there cosmetic. A filled scratch sounds like a big one. I couldn't really see the scratch clearly in the picture. A non flat table is another story.

~mark

Kevin Herber
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Corey - When I got my new Unisaw the top had a lot of machine marks, no scratches per se but it sure was not comparable to a PM. I spent a few hours with 320 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1200 wet/Dry and LOTS of WD40. I'll put it up against any PM or other shiny surface out there. In a few years it will probably look like Bart's so I'm not sure I accomplished anything, but I feel better. If the table is flat I would not worry about the scratches.

-- Kevin

Ian Barley
05-10-2006, 2:00 AM
I'm a crude kinda guy and have a simple rule of thumb. Does it get in the way of the machine doing what its meant to. Yes - get it dealt with. No - So what.

Its a machine to do work in my view, if it does the work its fine.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-10-2006, 2:36 AM
One of the reasons I like to buy good used equipment, some else has paid to scratch it :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2006, 6:05 AM
One of the reasons I like to buy good used equipment, some else has paid to scratch it :D

I Declare that a SIG LINE !!

tod evans
05-10-2006, 7:54 AM
corey, i`m with ian here, if it doesn`t effect use of the tool, rock-on. in the case of your table saw where the scratch is across the feed direction it`s unacceptable and could damage a work piece or worse cause an accident....02 tod

Steve Clardy
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM
I use my tools. I don't polish them.
If they are scratched, which they are, doesn't bother me. I ocasionally scratch one myself.