PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Another Chuck...

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 9:30 PM
I have the Grizzly 47.50 chuck that many have hear. I just can't get that thing to hold in place. I mean I can't get it to hand in even with just taking little scrapes with the scraper and I gave it a workout over the last 2 days with some projects I have worked on, a weed pot and a vase. I was able to hollow a vase but the chuck kept coming undone. This is with a 3/8 inch tennon and a dove tail on it.

I see these guys putting these little quarter inch spigots and tennons and using a bowl gouge and the piece doesn't go anywhere. Anybody have any experience with the Nova Midi chuck, the one that goes for about 120.00? Does it work pretty well, I heard it was reworked after it initially came out and is now a pretty good chuck but I want one that will hold! Any other suggestions? This is on a PSI Midi lathe.

Thanks!
Corey

Barry Stratton
05-09-2006, 10:01 PM
I have the same chuck and had the same problem Corey until I just reefed on the puppy. Tight is good, tighter than you think possible is better. Check it once in while, especially when turning green wood.

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Barry I tell yah I have torgued out on that thing. I turn dry wood which seems like it would be more difficult but anyway, I just can't keep it from throwing.

Corey

RL Johnson
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Make sure when you make the tennon that it is not bottoming out on the chuck face. The top of the jaws should pull up tight against the part you are turning. Also make sure the dovetail matches your jaws. The old adage about getting what you paid for is very appropriate for chucks. I just love my Vicmarc but it is expensive.

Ernie Nyvall
05-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Corey, I don't have any knowledge of the Nova chuck. I bought the Oneway Talon and don't have any problems... well... with the chuck anyway. I've had one bowl come off that chuck, but the tenon was still in the jaws.:eek:

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Corey, I don't have any knowledge of the Nova chuck. I bought the Oneway Talon and don't have any problems... well... with the chuck anyway. I've had one bowl come off that chuck, but the tenon was still in the jaws.:eek:

Ernie

Now, that is what I want! Just can't afford that but want one that works that well ...LOL!

corey

Curt Fuller
05-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Corey, I have a Oneway Talon and it's done everything I've wanted it to do. But I recently used a Nova Midi at our turning club and it seemed to be a good chuck also. It's a little lighter duty than the Talon but felt like it was machined well and turned true.

Stephen Hibbs
05-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I had this problem but my mentor showed me what to not do and I didn't have any issues on my most recent piece, on which I caught countless catches in a hard wood. The trick is:

Make sure the part that goes in the chuck does not touch the end of the recessed part. Once it get's thicker again at that ledge (going toward the threaded end) you want no contact with the wood. You want the taper to pull the piece onto the shoulder (farthest edge from threads) so that the bottom of the wood (not including the tenon) is being pulled onto the chuck. This is what gives you the hold. Make the tenon too angled (better than too straight) and make sure the bottom of the tenon does not contact that ledge. If you need pictures I'll take some

You'd be suprised how shallow you have to make it, but it works so much better than too deep.

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Stephen don't want to steal Coreys thread buy you can send me the pictures also. I will pm you my e-mail address.

Barry Stratton
05-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Stephen don't want to steal Coreys thread buy you can send me the pictures also. I will pm you my e-mail address.

For the rest of us launching rookies, please post `em.........

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Had my Talon for about 2.5 years and anything that came off left the tennon or blew through the spigot (My fault!).

Bruce

Brad Hart
05-10-2006, 7:05 AM
Nova midi is an ok chuck depending on the lathe you have. On some lathes the spindle is too long and it bottoms out without being secured against the spindle shoulder. (It is fine with all the mini's that i know of but if you plan to use it later on a bigger lathe you might have problems.) There are other nova options though. The original nova which is still being sold and something I have been using as my primary chuck for 5 years is work great despite looking rather beat up. The g3 is a good chuck as is the supernovas and the supernova2. As far as jaws go the The nova and talon have interchangeable jaws, I use talon spiggot/pin jaws on my g3, but if you put talon/oneway jaws on your nova made chuck they don't expand as far as they would on a talon/oneway.

If you want a talon they are good chucks but having turned with both I will teill you they are no better than the supernova or th g3 as far holding power.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-10-2006, 8:20 AM
Corey, I have that chuck too, via Alaska (Thanks again Barry!).

I have only tossed a few bowls, but that was when I was trying to use the spindle gouge on the inside of the bowl (B-I-G mistake).

Since I got the P&N Bowl gouge, I've not (touch wood) launched one yet.

I'm turning near the max of my C-man lathe, about 10" and I'm taking agressive cuts too.

My tenon is the width of my parting tool, I cut the tenon square, and then I swing the tool back to make the 5 degree dovetail.

Works fairly well for me, but yes, you are right, this is no Super Nova, or Oneway etc.

Cheers!

Mike Ramsey
05-10-2006, 8:51 AM
My first chuck was the Tommy bar style that you are talking about...
After about 6 months I finally bit the bullet & ordered a Oneway Talon,
The difference is night & day!! Wish I had the Talon from the start, It
would have made the learning curve much easier!

Jim Sample
05-10-2006, 5:16 PM
Cory

I have 2 Oneway Talons, first one with #2 jaws, bought spigot jaws, a real pain to screw/unscrew back and forth, bought the second body in KC at the AAW symposium last summer. I have lost one bowl, spalted pecan, the tendon stayed in the jaws. It does a good job of hanging on to the blanks.

Jim Sample

Keith Burns
05-10-2006, 5:22 PM
My first chuck was the Tommy bar style that you are talking about...
After about 6 months I finally bit the bullet & ordered a Oneway Talon,
The difference is night & day!! Wish I had the Talon from the start, It
would have made the learning curve much easier!

Same here except I got the Supernova. I had quit using the chuck completely until I got the Supernova. Now I use it all the time with great success. Got mine from woodchipshome.com. About $180.00 including the insert and shipping.

Dennis Peacock
05-10-2006, 5:42 PM
I got the SuperNova chuck and it's seen a LOT of action and no problems there. The Nova chuck line has been on the market for a long time and as far as I'm concerned? They're as good as the Oneway chucks.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-10-2006, 7:59 PM
For the rest of us launching rookies, please post `em.........

I second that!! Please!!