PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead for my new project... a dresser

Alex Berkovsky
05-09-2006, 9:22 PM
I am planning ahead for my new project and already have found the plans (http://www.woodstore.net/dresser.html) for it. Another SMC member has the same dresser (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33020), but used red oak instead of maple and cherry. I have been throwing an idea around of making the top different than what the plans call for. The idea came to me after I saw Martin's dresser (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29191). Do you think the dresser is going to look good with the veneered top or should I stick with the jointed hardwood top?

Vaughn McMillan
05-10-2006, 4:16 AM
Personally, I think it'd look great either way Alex, but if you have a piece of veneer as nice as the one Martin used, a dresser would be a nice place to show it off, IMHO.

- Vaughn

Michael Keating
05-10-2006, 9:39 AM
Hi Alex,

I am making the same dresser right now. I have already made the bed, 2 night stands, and mirror. I am making it out of cherry and maple, nbut I have been making the tops out of birds eye maple, just for some flare. I think if you are going to use red oak, then going with QSRO would look great.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Jerry Olexa
05-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Alan, either way, it'll be a fun project. I prefer a solid top but admit Martin's top is very nice!! Do what YOU like best. I often (usually)deviate from plans and incorporate my ideas..

Alex Berkovsky
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Alex,

I am making the same dresser right now. I have already made the bed, 2 night stands, and mirror. I am making it out of cherry and maple, nbut I have been making the tops out of birds eye maple, just for some flare. I think if you are going to use red oak, then going with QSRO would look great.Mike,
Got any pictures to post - I'd love to see them. I will be making mine also out of maple and cherry. Did you use biscuit joinery for the dresser? I am thinking of going with dados instead. Are you going to use the glide strips for the drawers or an alternate method (i.e., drawer slides)?

Michael Keating
05-10-2006, 2:33 PM
Hi Alex,

I will incorporate some pictures here as I get a bit closer to the finish. I am using the biscuits for the carcas, but I am going to use an alternate method than the drawer glides. I tried them for the nightstands and I am not all that happy (I am not glad this is a guest bedroom).
I am thinking about wood drawer slides/runners on the side of the carcas and going from there. There was a great article in fine woodworking about it this month (timing could not be better).

I will see if I have some ready available pics for the other pieces and post, but if not I will post later this weekend.

Mike

Alex Berkovsky
05-10-2006, 2:37 PM
...There was a great article in fine woodworking about it this month (timing could not be better).

I will see if I have some ready available pics for the other pieces and post, but if not I will post later this weekend.Mike,
I know exactly the article you're refering to... I may use the same method when the time comes. Can't wait to see your progress pictures.

Brad Schmid
05-10-2006, 3:01 PM
Hi Alex,

LOML fell in love with the look of that bedroom when she saw it in my Wood mag several years back. So, I promised her I would eventually make it for her, but I didn't care for some of the construction details so I've done some modification along the way. Specifically, I wasn't crazy about the drawer construction. I'll post some pics here so you can get an idea of what I did. I used half blind dovetails on the drawer fronts, and through dovetails on the drawer backs. Another thing I don't like is visible glue ups on drawer fronts, so I went the extra mile to find wide enough Cherry for all the fronts. Incidentally, each row of drawer fronts is made from a single board, so the grain matches all the way across. You'll also notice I left a little sapwood on the center row drawer fronts. I wasn't going to do this, but after I thought about it and looked at it for awhile, I like the character. I also decided to use undermount glides. The fronts are also thicker than the plan. I was ok for the most part with the case construction. It is solid and functional although not what you might think of as "traditional".

It is not quite done yet. I just need to apply the final finish (which is on order) and install the knob/pull hardware. As it sits, it has 2 coats of 2lb cut dewaxes superblonde shellac. For the final finish I will spray pre-cat lacquer for durability.

I think it would look fine with an attractively veneered top if that's the way you choose to go. Good luck on your project and make sure you post some picks;)

PS. I made the nightstands first and used the same mods and it seems to have worked well so far. The nice thing is, if I decide we don't like the undermount glides, I can change it any time to side wood glide system.

Martin Lutz
05-10-2006, 3:34 PM
Alex,

I am usually a solid wood fan. Particularly if you have bookmatched lumber or you are able to do the top in two (or less) boards. I have always believed that you need to take advantage of large surface areas to show off some of natures amazing figure. This includes the quilted maple veneer. The contrast between the quilted maple and the cherry has only gotten better as the cherry has aged. Obviously I have learned that you cannot exclude veneer as there is amazing figure avail. in veneer that you may not find in "solid". Whatever you choose to use it will look great just pay attention to closely matching the face figure if you use 4/4 lumber.
I look forward to seeing the finished product.

ADD: Also consider that if you use a veneer top and solid sides there are some wood movement issues to be resolved in the attachment of the top.

Alex Berkovsky
05-10-2006, 3:47 PM
Brad,
Even though it's not finished yet, it looks beautiful. I like the changes you've made to the drawers and the wavy looking sapwood does add character. Are those hand-cut dovetails? What changes, if any, did you make to the carcass?

Brad Schmid
05-10-2006, 4:42 PM
Brad,
Even though it's not finished yet, it looks beautiful. I like the changes you've made to the drawers and the wavy looking sapwood does add character. Are those hand-cut dovetails? What changes, if any, did you make to the carcass?

Thanks Alex. I appreciate your kind words.

It's funny you ask about the dovetails, there's a "mess-up" story here:o (it's ok to laugh, it's done now:D ) The dovetails on the nightstands are machine cut using a Leigh jig. I actually intended to do the same thing on the dresser because I didn't feel confident in my hand cutting abilities yet. So, I set everything up, made some test cuts, everything fit perfect. Cool, I cut the first drawer side/front joint, fit was fine. Then I cut all the rest of the joints. I'm feeling good now. I go to start a dry fit... WHAT! WAAAYYYY too tight:mad: Router moved somehow about 1/16"... Anyway, I figured now was as good of time as any... I went back and handmarked and recut all the dovetails by hand so everything fit nice. So, I guess you could say I routed the waste and then got after it with hand tools. It was actually a fair way to learn, but I hadn't planned it that way:D

I also did a lot of handplaning on this particular project as I've been drawn in that direction over the past year or so. I have to say, it was really pleasant listening to the radio while working instead of those screaming machines;)

As for the internal carcass, I used the method in the plans. It is plenty strong and I didn't see the need to go overboard with modifying something that already works. I think the only other change I made was to slightly increase the size of the top so it overhangs just a bit more, but that was just more of a visual thing for me I guess.

More than anything, enjoy the journey. I know I did.

Alex Berkovsky
05-10-2006, 7:09 PM
Brad,
Quite a story - so you could say you were forced to hand-cut the DT's. I am waiting on my Adria handsaw and can't wait to learn how to cut them by hand. I must say, Leigh jig produces some great looking DT's though.
I showed the plans to an experienced woodworker in our club and he made a suggestion... he said that instead of using the 2 drawer shelves (part G) and "wasting" all that maple plywood, I can use stretchers/runners.

Brad Schmid
05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Alex,
Yes, I agree, you could definitely do something like that and save on material.

I've heard great things about the Adria dovetail saw from folks here, and it recently was tops in a mag review. You should like it. I have a Lie-Nielsen and it took a while for me to get the hang of it (especially starting the cut cleanly).

cheers
Brad

Tom Fortier
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Sorry to dig this old thread up, but does anyone know what issue of Wood Magazine this dresser was in?? I can't seem to locate it.

gary Zimmel
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Tom,

The issue that had the plan for the dreser was # 138, December 2001.