PDA

View Full Version : CAD Software

Byron Trantham
08-31-2003, 10:20 AM
What software are you guys using? I'm using AutoDesk and have not been able to figure out how to print "blowups" of say a dato joint. I friend of mine is using AutoCAD, way too expensive. Any help will be appreciated.

Jim Becker
08-31-2003, 11:02 AM
I've been using DesignCAD (http://www.designcad.com) for years and am pretty pleased with it. The only trepidation that I now have with it is that the product was just sold by UpperSpace to IMSI...a software company that I really don't like. (They sell TurboCAD and a bunch of 3D designer software...the latter products I find seriously lacking in quality, etc.)

Byron Trantham
08-31-2003, 11:44 AM
I've been using DesignCAD (http://www.designcad.com) for years and am pretty pleased with it. The only trepidation that I now have with it is that the product was just sold by UpperSpace to IMSI...a software company that I really don't like. (They sell TurboCAD and a bunch of 3D designer software...the latter products I find seriously lacking in quality, etc.)

Jim, I went to the site and found Designcad 3D Max Plus for $300. I searched Google and found Designcad 3D Max (not plus) from Computer Discount Warehouse for $94 (part number 3008) and $277.14 (part number 3012). I went back to the home site and could not determine the difference. Obviously there is some difference. any ideas?

Jim Becker
08-31-2003, 2:49 PM
That's very strange and the DesignCad site doesn't display the product numbers. I'm wondering if the lower priced version is an older one or "Express" mislabled...or an upgrade mislabled as a full version. You may want to talk to CDW on the phone about it. Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JJP5/sawsndust) has it on sale for $63...

I'm using 3D MAX, not the plus version, but since I've had numerious versions over the years, I've always done the upgrade route.

Byron Trantham
08-31-2003, 4:05 PM
That's very strange and the DesignCad site doesn't display the product numbers. I'm wondering if the lower priced version is an older one or "Express" mislabled...or an upgrade mislabled as a full version. You may want to talk to CDW on the phone about it. Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JJP5/sawsndust) has it on sale for $63...

I'm using 3D MAX, not the plus version, but since I've had numerious versions over the years, I've always done the upgrade route.

It's ordered and on the way. Now you realize that you have opened up a can of worms? Hey Jim, how do you...... :p

Jim Becker
08-31-2003, 4:42 PM
It's ordered and on the way. Now you realize that you have opened up a can of worms? Hey Jim, how do you...... :p

Universal response... "I don't know...never did that before..." :D

Seriously, I'm truely not a sophisticated CAD user. It's one of those things you need to use a lot in order to memorize all the comands. I used to be that way with PageMaker years ago since I used it so much as an avocation. But that was before I discovered woodworking... :rolleyes:

Byron Trantham
08-31-2003, 5:06 PM
Universal response... "I don't know...never did that before..." :D

Seriously, I'm truely not a sophisticated CAD user. It's one of those things you need to use a lot in order to memorize all the comands. I used to be that way with PageMaker years ago since I used it so much as an avocation. But that was before I discovered woodworking... :rolleyes:

Ya, I know. I was just kidding. I have spent hours learning what I know with Autosketch. Actually I have been pretty successful with that program. The last couple of projects I went for broke and "trusted" my drawings. I was/am very pleased. Stuff was right on. I just finished installing (dry fit) all the drawers for the changing station (for a baby) and much to my surprise the drawers are about and 1/8 - 3/16" too narrow. I'll have to look into that to figure out I did wrong. The problem is fixable though. I just added an 1/8" shim and it's fine.

Looking forward to the new software. I'll let you know how I came out. BTW I remember Page Maker. 10+ years ago it was the cat's meow. Didn't work too well on an 8088 [remember that one?]. :D

DAN WALTERS
09-13-2003, 8:03 AM
What software are you guys using? I'm using AutoDesk and have not been able to figure out how to print "blowups" of say a dato joint. I friend of mine is using AutoCAD, way too expensive. Any help will be appreciated.

to print details pick window as method to select and fit as method to scale on paper

Teresa Jones
09-18-2003, 3:47 PM
Byron,

I am just learning AutoDesk QuickCad. Hope this helps.

Select the "Dado Joint" object or entity. Then click on the View Menu and click on 'Selection'. You should get a "BIG" picture of the joint. Now click the View Menu again and click 'Save'. Name the object and then click OK.

Now click the File Menu and select 'Print Preview'.

In the first drop down box, select 'Fitted to Page'. In the second drop down box, select the name you gave the object.

I am assuming that the AutoDesk AutoSketch works in much the same fashion as AutoDesk QuickCad.

Good luck!

Teresa