PDA

View Full Version : First Weed Pot.....

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 7:34 PM
This was my first weed pot. It is spalted beech and has a purple heart collar on it. Lacquer finish. I know one thing, a drill chuck in the tail stock would definitely help on these! This is about 5 1/2 inches tall, about an inch shorter than it originally was as I had a mishap parting it off.

Thanks,
Corey

Vaughn McMillan
05-09-2006, 7:44 PM
Very nice, Corey. I really like the form, and I'm already planning to try my had at a weed pot or three pretty soon. Ignorant newbie question: how do you do the collar? I'm guessing it's simply another piece glued to the initial chunk of turning wood, but are there any tips and tricks to know about?

- Vaughn

Bob Noles
05-09-2006, 7:44 PM
Real nice job Corey........

I like the form and the purple heart collar is a nice touch. Bernie better watch out... you are catching up fast :)

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 7:53 PM
Thanks guys! Vaughn, yes I had a 3 inch square of the main stock and a 2 inch square of the purpleheart. I mounted the purple heart between centers on the lathe by itself and took it to round. Then I glued it to the main stock trying to position in center. One you have the whole blank on the lathe and rounded you need to round the purple heart again with light cuts as it would be a little off center. I parted off about a half an inch of it and I think it would have looked better with another 1/4 inch off. Hope this helps.
Bob, thanks LOL...no Bernie is light years ahead of me! Still it was a fun project and the wife thinks I am pretty good right now... won't tell her I am a rank amatuer!

Corey

john whittaker
05-09-2006, 8:03 PM
Corey, really nice weed pot. You sure have learned a lot in a few short months. Been lurking around this dizzy forum and seeing all your progress has been fascinating. This is a very nice piece and I like the proportion as well as the wood mix.

By the way....Just what do you put in a "weed pot"? And why is Vaughn so interested in this sort of item?

Just wondering....:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 8:17 PM
Lol...oh you crack me up John! I think the term "weed pot" comes from the UK. Might be wrong. You can put fake flowers, dried flowers etc. Seen them called strawflower holders as well. I have seen the little test tubes that can be bought to insert into the whole to use with water and fresh cut flowers. Thanks John!
Corey

Jason Boushard
05-09-2006, 8:22 PM
looks great I got to start doing more than pens I have a ton to learn before I can do anything like that.

Barry Stratton
05-09-2006, 8:37 PM
GREAT JOB Corey! I like it and I'm not even from California...........

Keith Burns
05-09-2006, 8:55 PM
Corey, I like this very much. When I first looked at the photo I thought it was a HF. You definately have an eye for form. Great Job !:) :)

Dick Parr
05-09-2006, 9:11 PM
Very nice Corey!:)

John Hart
05-09-2006, 9:14 PM
Me too...I'm very impressed with the form you've done here Corey. Cool Piece...and a nice lookin' piece-o-wood!!:)

Jim Becker
05-09-2006, 9:15 PM
Nice job, Corey! (I was a little concerned that you were repeating yourself in the thread title... :D )

George Conklin
05-09-2006, 9:19 PM
Hi Corey,

I'm in your camp with the drill chuck and a forstner bit. I don't believe it saves any time, but I think it's easier on the body and the tool.:)

Nice pot too!;)

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 9:22 PM
Thanks guys. I was very pleased with it,. Maybe I should of said it was an HF :)
Jason, I primarily do pens and this is really just another spindle project with a hole drilled into it. Just go slow, I am the king of slow, that thing took me 2 hours to turn. I guess I take too many breaks and look at it to long. There fun, get some 3 inch stock and give it a go!
George, you got it right, just better suited for the task!
Corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-09-2006, 9:33 PM
I like that a ton, the contrast between the two woods really set it off!

Great work!

Ernie Nyvall
05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice work Corey. Good job on the form and finish.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Corey...........You wouldn't lie to a fellow Creeker would you?.........First?:rolleyes: :eek: :D :D ...Excellent form, finish, wood and execution! Nice project!

Corey Hallagan
05-09-2006, 11:29 PM
No Ken, I wouldn't do that, God would get me for that! Thanks!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Corey that is one awesome piece for your first one. You did yourself proud on that one. I like the two contrasting woods. Keep it buddy.

Mike Ramsey
05-10-2006, 8:58 AM
Great job on the weed pot Corey! Looking good!!