PDA

View Full Version : Cremation Box

Scott Coffelt
05-09-2006, 5:24 PM
I'd like to make a box for the parents of a coworker who was tragically killed this past weekend in a motor cycle accident. Problem is, I have no idea how big to make it. Anyone done this and if so any idea a good size?

Vaughn McMillan
05-09-2006, 5:41 PM
Sorry to hear of the job you have in front of you, Scott. I recently saw something on Bill Grumbine's website stating that he'd gotten advice from a funeral director that a cremation urn should be 225 cubic inches or more.

That said, a quick Google search for "cremation urn" +volume shows a variety of numbers, but all seem to be in about that same range.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Jesse Cloud
05-09-2006, 6:50 PM
I had the same task a few years ago. The deceased was a woodworker. His widow asked me to select the best wood in his shop and make a box for his ashes. To this day, I still wonder what he had in mind when he bought the birdseye and walnut I used - I'm sure he never imagined how it would be used. Makes you think.

Anyhow to answer your question, after speaking with the funeral home, I made the inside of the box 8x6x6. Bob was an average sized man and the ashes fit snugly. I would think a larger size might be needed for a very large person.

Sorry for your loss.

Perry Holbrook
05-09-2006, 7:23 PM
The rule of thumb is 1 cubic inch per 1 lb of body weight. Perry

Chris Padilla
05-09-2006, 7:27 PM
Interesting project, Scott! All handcut dovetails, right? :)

Charlie Plesums
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
The rule of thumb is 1 cubic inch per 1 lb of body weight. Perry
I second the rule of thumb. It roughly matches the Bill Grumbine number, and a lot of other references I have seen over the years. Same formula applies to pet cremations.

Joe Spear
05-10-2006, 7:53 AM
A friend of mine made a few out of 3/4" thick pine. The external dimensions were 10" long x 7 1/2" wide x 5 1/2" high. Internally the compartment was 8 1/2" long x 6" wide x 5" deep. He did some research and found that that size is quite adequate.

Ken Werner
05-10-2006, 8:57 AM
This doesn't answer your question, as others have already done so quite well. I just wanted to commend you for your thought, and the effort to follow through. A box made by a friend can give more comfort to his parents than you know.
Well done.
Ken

Charlie Plesums
05-11-2006, 1:27 AM
One other factor to consider... If they want the option of someday placing the ashes in a columbarium, there may be size constraints for the available niches. In addition to the volume, you may need a box/urn that is tall and skinny, short and squat, etc. You might want to check with the local facilities to find any size constraints if that option is wanted later.

Scott Coffelt
05-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the responses, after talking it over with some co-workers, I've decided not to make the urn. Instead, I'll make a memories box.

Chris, I do plan on making dovetails. This project unfortunately will have to wait several weeks as I will be travelling a lot for work and get to go to Hawaii later in the month. I'll start on it in June.

Chris Padilla
05-11-2006, 3:51 PM
Chris, I do plan on making dovetails. This project unfortunately will have to wait several weeks as I will be travelling a lot for work and get to go to Hawaii later in the month. I'll start on it in June.

Mmmm, Hawaii....

Scott Coffelt
05-11-2006, 4:05 PM
Mmmm, Hawaii....

Yes, I get to be a tag along spouse. My wife has to meet a client there over memorial weekend. Said what the heck, never been there and one of the plane tickets and a chunk of the hotel and part of the food, car, etc. are covered by her work. So a week in the sun and daily rain showers.