PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Turning Phase 2(Drawing and Stealing) # 3 Holly Jones & #4 Mark Patoka

Christopher K. Hartley
05-09-2006, 5:13 PM
HOLLY JONES your draw is :

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 300pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=399 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 74pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3620" width=99><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" width=54><COL style="WIDTH: 89pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4315" width=118><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=2 width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 125.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=167><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #a89890; BORDER-TOP: #a89890; BORDER-LEFT: #a89890; WIDTH: 300pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #a89890; HEIGHT: 125.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=399 colSpan=5 height=167>I have a blank of Catalpa that I got from a friends' yard here in Upstate NY near Albany. It is about 6" diameter & 5" deep. Has the bark on it and is very dry. Catalpa is a low density wood with a light brown color, is rather porous and soft but turns nicely and polishes up well. There is a hole drilled in the face away from the bark for a screw center. The goblet I put in the Geezer contest is made from Catalpa. This tree has huge leaves and seed pods like giant bean pods. It has little use for much of anything constructive except maybe turning-not even firewood (low BTU density). It is also very rot resistant.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>(See Pic) From Don Orr

Holly, you You may keep this wood or steal from the previous blanks revealed. Tell us what you want to do. (Stealing means you can switch your draw for anyone elses that has been revealed. Once a drawn blank has been stolen 3 times it can not be stolen again.)

We will not proceed until we hear from you.<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Tom Jones III
05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm responding for LOML, otherwise known as Holly, and she will steal the sassafras.

Jim Dunn
05-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Now as I understand it the catalpa goes back in the pile to be drawn again? Somebody help me:)

Joe Melton
05-10-2006, 2:00 PM
The way I have seen this done is that Jim Dunn, having had his Sassafras stolen by Holly Jones, now can either accept the Catalpa or take the Russian Olive from Tom Jones. If Jim takes Tom's wood, then Tom has to take the Catalpa. Maybe our project leader has another scheme in mind.:)
Joe

Mark Patoka
05-10-2006, 3:05 PM
How I've usually seen it is the person just stolen from now can either steal from someone else that already has theirs or be assigned a new random pick.

I think Chris is running it a little different so I don't want to step over someone else's rules. Either way we're all going to get a chunk of wood.

Jim Dunn
05-10-2006, 4:28 PM
Either way we're all going to get a chunk of wood.

That's what I'm talkin-bout. New wood in the house, (haven't had a chance to say that in years:eek::eek::o)

Christopher K. Hartley
05-10-2006, 5:53 PM
All good guesses but since this isn't live, we have to modify just a bit so it isn't too confusing to manage. Here is what happens: When Holly decided to steal, she opened the choice for Jim to steal or to accept her draw. He can not steal the same wood back but can steal from any other revealed wood. So the choice is now his; steal or receive Holly's draw. Jim, which is it?

Jim Dunn
05-10-2006, 6:08 PM
I'll steal. I guess I have to wait till there is more wood revealed though, right. I mean I can jump in and steal any time from now on, correct?

Christopher K. Hartley
05-10-2006, 6:34 PM
I'll steal. I guess I have to wait till there is more wood revealed though, right. I mean I can jump in and steal any time from now on, correct?

Sorry, you have to steal when your turn comes up normally; however, because you were the first draw, if you take Holly's draw now your right to steal after everyone else is in is still yours. So, I assume that you would now take her draw, is that correct? Let me know Jim and we'll continue.

Lee DeRaud
05-10-2006, 7:16 PM
Anybody remember the movie "Bang The Drum Slowly"? This is starting to remind me of TEGWAR.:p

Jim Dunn
05-10-2006, 8:35 PM
I'll wait, please.

Steve Ash
05-10-2006, 9:22 PM
I'm confused....I'll be happy to turn anything other than what I submitted...but then I could save on postage that way.:D Maybe I'll get the hang of it by the time it get's to me.:cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I'll wait, please.

I am assuming from this answer you want to be able to steal later so I am giving you Holly's draw. You will be given the chance to steal at the end because you were the first to draw and had no chance to steal then. Here is your new draw: (see Holly's draw Pic)

Christopher K. Hartley
05-10-2006, 10:19 PM
MARK PATOKA your draw is :

This is Live Oak found all over here in the South Texas area. It has some very unique grain patterns and those patterns can vary widly even in one piece. It is light in color with beautiful dark areas throughout the wood this piece is 6 1/2" x 7" x 3 3/4" at the deepest part. Sides are 2". It was harvested on 4/10/06 here in Spring Tx. The blank is wax sealed.
(See Pic) From Christopher K. Hartley

Mark, you You may keep this wood or steal from the previous blanks revealed. Tell us what you want to do. (Stealing means you can switch your draw for anyone elses that has been revealed. Once a drawn blank has been stolen 3 times it can not be stolen again.)

We will not proceed until we hear from you.<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- attachments -->

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Mark Patoka
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I will keep this piece.