PDA

View Full Version : 220v Extension Cord

Bob_Hammond
05-09-2006, 4:45 PM
I'm trying to sell my DJ20, but it is in a garage without 220v power. The house does have a dryer outlet. Would it be a big problem to make up a 25ft 220v extension cord? I'm thinking that I would buy some romex and put a dryer plug on one end and a female on teh DJ20 end. It would only be used for a few minutes to demo it to potential buyers.

Bob

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-09-2006, 4:56 PM
This should be made from Portable cord (Round rubber/ plastic insulated multi conductor cable) instead of Romex which is ONLY to be used INSIDE walls. That being said, I have seen what you suggested, done by others.

Bruce

Doug Mason
05-09-2006, 4:59 PM
I run 220 to my garage using 10 guage wire hooked up to the Laundry line. Have been doing it for over a year. Run it from the laundry room up into the roof and out to the garage.

Tom Araya
05-09-2006, 6:33 PM
I made such an extension cord for amplifier testing.

dryer plug -> 8 awg romex -> outlets screwed on a piece of wood and some strain relief mounted on the wood.

/easy

Charlie Plesums
05-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Romex is definitely not designed to be flexible, but for a quick demo, no sweat. Not code, but I wouldn't hesitate.

Even easier than getting a dryer plug would be temporarily wiring it directly into the circuit breaker box. If that comment brings a gasp of terror, don't try it, but if not, it may save a bunch of work, and an expensive plug.