PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Norman Vandal

Brian Knop
05-09-2006, 4:15 PM
Well after waiting a few years I have finally gotten a copy of Norman Vandal book, Queen Anne Furniture History, design and construction. For a beginner Queen Anne furniture maker (that would be me) this is the best book that I have seen. I have been using a copy from the local library. It’s nice to have a copy right here. The book has been out of print for some time.

Brian

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-09-2006, 5:52 PM
How involved is the book?? I purused the AMAZON peek inside, but it didn't let on to very much.

I've used a few books over the years however, most of them were mostly jumping off places for design ideas. Rarely did I find much of value by way of how to put a thing together.

John Timberlake
05-09-2006, 8:30 PM
I agree that this is a great book for anyone who wants to make Queen Anne furniture. I got a few years ago. I covers how to make cabriole legs, joinery, design, etc. Great find.

lou sansone
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I probalby have at least 50 hardcover ww books and this one is by far the best of them.
lou

Brian Knop
05-10-2006, 4:41 PM
Cliff it has 18 very detailed to scale drawings. I am making a high boy from the book now.( Or at least trying to) I scanned the drawing from the book, blew it up to size and they come out perfect. Makes it easy for someone new at making cabriole legs. As John said lots of information. Beautiful pictures, it’s a first rate book. Like I said my local library has it, maybe yours will.

Calvin Hobbs
05-10-2006, 5:23 PM
Keep your eyes open, I have picked up two copies on ebay the last couple of years and gave one to my brother. You might try abebooks.

This is definitely one of the best out there. The drawings and techniques discussed can easily be applied to many different furniture styles, not just Queen Anne.

Cal