PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts on Shop Fox?

Russ Filtz
05-09-2006, 1:06 PM
I don't really need or want one, but a coworker supposedly has a source of a couple that have been stored for years and "only" wants $500 for one. Says they were around $3,00 new? Good deal? I have no idea of any model number. Pictures are coming hopefully. Only really need the bandsaw and planer function.

Bruce Benjamin
05-09-2006, 1:09 PM
What's a Shop Fox? I thought they are the name of a
company that makes, (or distributes) lots of different
tools from rulers to DC remote controls to heavy power
tools.

Bruce

tod evans
05-09-2006, 1:18 PM
russ, as far as i know shopfox is griz stuff with white paint sold through local dealers...02 tod

Dave Falkenstein
05-09-2006, 4:08 PM
I suspect you meant to say Shopsmith. Do lots of research and buy with your eyes wide open. Machines with bandsaw and planer functions sell new for lots more than $3,000. Look here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/

Dave Right
05-09-2006, 4:33 PM
Just as tod said, it is basically the same as Grizz except you can touch it in a retail store, the color is different and some specs are slightly different. I just bought a Shopfox floor mounted spindle sander instead of a Grizz because the top was 2" larger. They do come from the same warehouse according to the person at the store.

Steve Beadle
05-09-2006, 4:42 PM
#4 Today, 1:08 PM
Dave Falkenstein
2006 Contributor Join Date: Nov 2003

I suspect you meant to say Shopsmith.

Yes, I also suspect you meant to say Shopsmith. The clue is your mention of the bandsaw and planer "function."

John Shuk
05-09-2006, 6:12 PM
Alot of people are happy with a shopsmith. That said I think most of the functions are better acheived with individual machines. I know about 4 or 5 former Shopsmith owners who have gone on to purchase separate tools and really love the difference.

Dick Brown
05-09-2006, 7:29 PM
If you mean Shopsmith, I just read in a trade paper where they are going through tough times financially and may be a thing of the past if they don't get straitened out. We had one at the school shop where I worked and I didn't think much of the T.S part but some of the other functions worked o.k. Wouldn't want one myself.

Greg Sznajdruk
05-09-2006, 7:32 PM
These multi tools remind me of the Swiss Army knife. Has the ability to do many different things, but not a single one very well.

Greg