PDA

View Full Version : It all started with SU and 3 pieces of cherry

Chet Parks
05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
I have 3 pices of perfectly flat 1"x15"x48" cherry that I want to use in a project that will maximize the size. So I decided to build a coffee table with a finished overall dimension of 46"x46".

I needed a drawing. I had just downloaded the free trial of SketchUp. So I decided to draw the coffe table and teach myself SU at the same time. I sure hope building it will be easier than learning how to draw it.

I'd appreciate comments on both the design and the drawing, which is attached.

Actually, my next step is going to be adding all the dimensions, before starting to build.

Chet Parks

Dave Richards
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Looks good. Only thing you might want to watch is the legs hanging down below ground level. Otherwise I think you've got a pretty good grasp of things.

Brian Triplett
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
not sure if the free sketchup will export a .jpg or not, if not you can also use "print screen" on the keyboard and paste it into paint, crop as needed and save it as .bmp. Just a thought for those of us at work who can not download sketchup. thanks.:)

Al Navas
05-09-2006, 1:31 PM
Chet:
Your design looks good. I have a similar table on my To-Do list :) .

Brian:
For this simple model, I just added some wood / lumber texture, and exported in JPG format ( File | Export | 2D Graphic ). One can select from BMP, JPG, TIF, and PNG.

Al

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/SketchUp%20models/Cherrychest-aromaticcedarbottom3.jpg

Chet Parks
05-09-2006, 3:52 PM
not sure if the free sketchup will export a .jpg or not, if not you can also use "print screen" on the keyboard and paste it into paint, crop as needed and save it as .bmp. Just a thought for those of us at work who can not download sketchup. thanks.:)Parks

Here's the jpg file. (double click on image to enlrge)

Chet