PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Needed

Corey Pionk
05-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Ok so I went out and bought my new General 650 and took delivery about two weeks ago. So I finally installed the fence rails this weekend since the first rails were damaged in shipping. So after I installed the rails I began cleaning the top to remove the cosmoline and I found some significant scratches that were covered by the cosmoline in the table and now its bothering me. Its bothering me because I paid alot of money for this saw and was expecting this not to happen. Also one of the table extensions is smoother and shinier than the rest of the table which also bothers me. I also wired up the saw beforehand and it doesn't pass the nickel test, I balance the nickel fire up the saw and it immediately falls over and when I shut it down there is a bad rattling noise coming from the cabinet. So now I dont know what to do you and now I ask for your opinions. And heres a pic of one of the scratches
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Trigger3271/Tablesaw003.jpg

CPeter James
05-08-2006, 11:04 PM
For 2 grand plus, I would not be a happy camper. The noise may be loose belts, but the scratch, while only cosmetic is disheartening. You want to make the first one yourself.

CPeter

Allen Bookout
05-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Would drive me nuts also. And here we have all heard how perfect the Generals are. It is going to be real interesting to see what happens. I guess that we will see how good their customre service is.

Good Luck! Allen

Per Swenson
05-09-2006, 7:21 AM
Remember it's only a opinion.

The minute we as collective and powerful tool buying group,
begin to accept shoddy merchandise, the standards just get
lowered a little more. Me, on the phone immediately.
That goes for a $2000 table saw or a $2 drill bit.
The internet has empowered the consumer to the point
where a single post such as yours can affect the companys bottom line.

Per

tod evans
05-09-2006, 7:39 AM
corey, have you phoned either the distributor or general? no doubt they`ll make things right if given a chance......02 tod

John Miliunas
05-09-2006, 8:32 AM
I agree with the others that I would not let this go without notifying GT. Give them a call and see if we can't be reading about a good customer service experience!!! :) :cool:

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-09-2006, 8:42 AM
I'd call 'em and begin with a chat about the issues and ways to cure.

The saw shoud be in a condition that is identical to or better than whatever sample they showed you.
However, the time and place for the saw to be in that condition can be an issue that can end up in debate.

In all transactions there is a risk of loss that one party or another bears. Where there are no contract provisions that allocate the risk there are doctrines in the law and rules in Article 2 of the UCC that control.

Under UCC there are different rules for the different ways a loss can arise.
The agreement (written or oral) will always control if it specifies how such loss is to be handled. Absent a risk of loss allocation provision in the agreement: The Breaching party will be responsible for the loss ( breach not fault is the issue).
In common carrier delivery transactions risk of loss will shift depending on the type of carrier arrangement: (1) a “Shipment Contract” (the most common type) is one where the seller makes the shipper arrangements, delivers the product to the carrier and communicate that to the buyer. In a Shipment Contract the risk of loss passes from the seller to the buyer upon tender of the goods and notice to the buyer of the shipment and the “common carrier” contract is becomes the shipment contract.
(2) A “Destination Contract” (you will see “FOB- time location” in the documents), the seller delivers the goods to a common carrier and the risk of loss remains with the seller until delivery to Buyer. <o =""></o>
If there is no risk of loss allocation in the agreement, no breach, and no common carrier, the risk of loss depends upon the status of the parties. Merchants get a risk of loss passing on acceptance. Meaning the buyer gets to inspect the goods before the risk passes to him. Where any party is not a merchant the risk of loss shifts from seller to buyer when seller tenders the goods to the buyer as found in a typical storefront transaction.

Many retailers will accept the risk of loss from 3rd party shipping for no other reason than it makes good business sence to protect the consumer and not have them angrily talking up their dissapointment in public. They do not need to. That is a business decision.

My reccommendation to any one making a purchase that will be shipped is to prior establish how loss is to be handled. And be sure it's in writing. Unless you do that I submit that a good insurance rider may be the safest course.

Garry Smith
05-09-2006, 9:54 AM
about 18 months ago I purchased a Delta Unisaw w/50" Biesmyer fence from Woodworkers Supply.
When I received it I was very disappointed. The left side of the fence was bowed out, The fence Rail was completely rusted on the surface that the fence squared itself against, the table was rusted and it looked like someone took coarse sandpaper to an area of the table top, the cast iron extention was covered with rust.
I called Woodworkers Supply and was told to call Delta. When I called Delta the first answer the lady gave me was to send the saw back. I explained to her that I had waited a long time for the saw because Woodworker's Supply had them on backorder and besides that why should I have to pay the frieght back. After arguing back and forth I told her the fence would be very dangerous to use this way and at that point she put me on hold and had a discussion with her supervisor. They agreed to send me another fence and rail, which arrived sometime later. They would not do anything about the table top and extention unless I sent the entire saw back. Like you I felt I had been duped. My saw looked like it may have been sent back before and repackaged and then resold to me.
Well I posted my concerns such as you did on Knots forum.
One of the memeber of the forum sent the owner of Woodworker's Supply and email pointing to the post on the forum.
A few days later I received an email from the Woodworker's Suppyly's Delta rep. He asked me to send him my phone number so he could call me to discuss this mater.
A few days later I received a call from the Delta Rep. He offered to take the saw back and send a new one. I explained to him that I had already sold the saw that I using prior to purchasing the Unisaw and that it would be a hardship besides a real pain to send the saw back and wait for another one. And that I had already received the replacement fence system. I told him that I would except a new table and extention and also a new blade guard because the one I received was bent and I could not get it to exactly align with the blade. He agreed and sent the parts that I had asked for.
A while back a growling sound started to develop in the saw and I can no pinpointe the cause. The cuts are good so I don't think it is the arbor which means it may be the motor.
If I had it to do over again I would send it back and have them ship another one.
The point here is the power of the forums. We as a group can get the word out if we are not treated as we should be treated. The experience that you will have with General in the future will likely have an impact on their future sales good or not so good because we all count on the opinions of our peers and their experiences with the manufactures.
Good luck and do not accept cut rate products or service. Let us all know of your results with this adventure. I have a General mortiser and am satisfied with it to date but if they prove to be not an upstanding company, I will not purchase anymore products with their name on it.
Garry

Paul Canaris
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Corey, not typical of my experience with General in the past. Is this a made in Canada or made overseas unit
At any rate, the shipping to return would be a killer as I am not sure they would cover if you returned. Not sure what I would do.

Frank Fusco
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
More reasons why I love Grizzly. Problems are handled quickly and with a smile. I brought a planer back to their Springfield, MO store last week because the thermal protection switch was too sensitive. Replaced and repaired while I waited. Typical of all my experiences with them. Agree with those who say that the power of a group like this can affect how companies do business. Call the company and accept no less than total satisfaction.

tod evans
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
folks, i don`t think this forum, or any other, is a place to bully manufacturers. my experiences with most manufacturers is that they try very hard to provide quality products at fair prices and if given the chance will make any problems right. the same goes for the resellers, most only live by their reputation so if they`re given a chance to rectify a problem they usually will. i`ve bought a lot of tools over the years and have not had one single customer service problem from a manufacturer yet. .02 tod

Doug Mason
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I had a similar experience when I purchased an MM16. It was covered in rust everywhere and it basically came down to " it was in my shop--there is no return." MM wanted to charge me to return it--the reasoning being that it was just rust--I should be able to remove it. Nopnetheless, my MM 16 is covered with rust stains. From that experience I learned that, in most scenarios, you really have only one opportunity to inspect and return the machine--when it is on the truck. Hereafter, I will tip the driver and do a thourough inspection (to the extent possible) before it is off the truck.

Garry Smith
05-09-2006, 12:03 PM
folks, i don`t think this forum, or any other, is a place to bully manufacturers. my experiences with most manufacturers is that they try very hard to provide quality products at fair prices and if given the chance will make any problems right. the same goes for the resellers, most only live by their reputation so if they`re given a chance to rectify a problem they usually will. i`ve bought a lot of tools over the years and have not had one single customer service problem from a manufacturer yet. .02 tod

Tod,
I do not wish to bully anyone either, but in my case why should I pay to send a peice of deffective equipment back at my expense, not to mention the labor factor? This is the only way I was able to get the attention of the distributor and the manufacture.

Bruce Benjamin
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Tod,

I don't see how you see this as, "Bullying". But I do admire your
optimism when it comes to the good will of a manufacturer or
reseller. While I've generally had good luck with the few problems
I've had with anybody I've done business, my latest experience
with the owner of Jointech and a few of it's staff has been really
unpleasant. I may post an abbreviated version of this story here
soon but if anyone is interested in a very thorough blow-by-blow
account and review of the Jointech Smart Miter sled you can see
it here: http://groups.google.com/group/Jointechwoodworking/browse_thread/thread/0493ae1dba64fe55

I've done everything I could to resolve a serious defect problem
with Jointech and it was like dealing with a moron behind bullet
proof glass. I never lost my temper and tried with numerous
phone calls for a combined total of probably an hour and a half
or more to deal with Jointech and the Owner, Phil. Bottom line
is that talking, no matter how diplomatic and patient you are
doesn't always work. In this case they basically told me to
go to #&!! and not to come back. Apparently you've been fortunate
enough to have good experiences but I really appreciate it when
I read about an experience both good and bad so I can get an
idea of what to expect if I deal with that company. These forums
are all about the exchange of information, right? Well, when
buying a tool there's more valuable information than just if the
design of the tool is good or not. Knowing if you're going to get
ripped off or how they handle customer complaints is just as
important to me as how good the tool is and without that info
it might not matter how good the tool might be. JMHO.

Bruce

Perry Holbrook
05-09-2006, 12:24 PM

I feel the same way as Tod. I have not commented on other threads where a supplier has been critizied. It just seems unfair to take a company to task before the whole world, especially before giving them a chance to correct the problem.

As a small company trying to get a successful business going, I would be very upset if one of my gallery customers got on a similiar forum in their business and complained about something they had just received from me, without first calling me to give me a chance to address their concern.

May I suggest it would be a common courtesy to all companies that we give them the benefit of the doubt in these cases and an honest chance to exhibit their customer service before we say too much.

Perry

Bruce Benjamin
05-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I agree completely that contacting the company first is the
reasonable thing to do if you're going to slam the company.
But I suppose some people might be unsure as to which way
to go with an issue and I suspect that's what this thread's
OP was doing. But in my case with the Jointech Smart Miter
I exhausted every available avenue to resolve this problem and
I got practically nothing in return.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
05-09-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd give em a phone call

tod evans
05-09-2006, 12:44 PM
gary,
over the years i`ve gone through thousands of dollars worth of delta equipment, but i bought it all locally so shipping was never an issue. the few times i had warranty issues they where handled promptly and professionally.
bruce ,
i`ve never had any dealings with "jointech" and i agree that the forums are the place for exchanging information both good and bad about companies who sell woodworking stuff. my comments where made because i got the feeling that the tone of the thread was heading toward "them vs us"

i`ll lay odds that when general or the resaler is made aware of the problems corey has had they will do everything in their power to make it right.
currently i don`t own any general equipment but those i know who do speak highly of both the company and the product. it`ll be interesting to hear how this problem is handled?
the shipping issue is one that i feel is ripe for discussion; when we shop online or through a catalogue and not locally most of us are gambling that we can save a few bucks, but when problems arise and they do, the issue of transportation is on the table.........if the customer foots the bill he`d have been better off buying locally. but if the reseller foots the bill he`d have been better off not making the sale....so where does this delema leave both parties?
just something to think about.....02 tod

[edit] corey, sorry for hijacking your thread...i started another thread with "shipping" as the topic. tod

Allen Bookout
05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
I think that the important thing is that the resolution of any problem be posted be it good or bad. If it is a good experience it can actually be a good promotion for a company such as the Grizzly's handling of the GO490 shipping problem involving damage.

I also think that Corey's origional post was very appropriate asking for what everyone thought and what should be done about it.

List the good and the bad and everything should come out fairly. Well, that is one thought anyway.

In any case, I would bet that a company with a very good reputation like General will make everything OK. I do not know what issues might be involved with any middle men. That could be a different story.

Allen

Garry Smith
05-09-2006, 1:34 PM
gary,
over the years i`ve gone through thousands of dollars worth of delta equipment, but i bought it all locally so shipping was never an issue. the few times i had warranty issues they where handled promptly and professionally.
the shipping issue is one that i feel is ripe for discussion; when we shop online or through a catalogue and not locally most of us are gambling that we can save a few bucks, but when problems arise and they do, the issue of transportation is on the table.........if the customer foots the bill he`d have been better off buying locally. but if the reseller foots the bill he`d have been better off not making the sale....so where does this delema leave both parties?
just something to think about.....02 tod

Tod,
The nearest Delta dealer is about 200 miles from me. That would be a good days drive round trip for me if they could fix the problem the day I took it to them. Where I live everything is purchased mail order or online not to get the best deal, just to get it period. My problem was not caused by the shipper. It appeared that the saw had been reconditioned and repackaged. I could not get any satisfaction by trying to handle my situation with calls to the seller or the manufacture. I would be interested to see if you were in the same situation if you would consider theses actions as bullying.

tod evans
05-09-2006, 1:38 PM
Tod,
The nearest Delta dealer is about 200 miles from me. That would be a good days drive round trip for me if they could fix the problem the day I took it to them. Where I live everything is purchased mail order or online not to get the best deal, just to get it period. My problem was not caused by the shipper. It appeared that the saw had been reconditioned and repackaged. I could not get any satisfaction by trying to handle my situation with calls to the seller or the manufacture. I would be interested to see if you were in the same situation if you would consider theses actions as bullying.

gary, my appoligies! i honestly wasn`t trying to single out you or anyone else. i`m sure that where i in your shoes i wouldn`t have been as diplomatic as you where. once again sorry if it sounded like i was targeting you. tod

Corey Pionk
05-09-2006, 1:47 PM
Ok I contacted General through email and they were know help. They told me that if it is only cosmetic and didn't hurt the performance of the saw then it wouldn't be covered under there warranty. So today I'm going to call Wilke's where I purchased it and see what happens, Im sure they woould be happy to replace it. I will keep you posted

Corey Pionk
05-09-2006, 2:09 PM
Ok I contacted Wilke's and they were no help either. They said they would contact General for me which I already did so I guess I have a new scratched table on my 2500 dollar tablesaw. They said the belts is whats causing the rattle and he told me to leave it run for awhile and it should take care of the problem hopefully.

tod evans
05-09-2006, 2:47 PM
Ok I contacted Wilke's and they were no help either. They said they would contact General for me which I already did so I guess I have a new scratched table on my 2500 dollar tablesaw. They said the belts is whats causing the rattle and he told me to leave it run for awhile and it should take care of the problem hopefully.

corey,
after reading your post i phoned wilke machinery. they made it quite clear to me that a scratched table on a new saw was unacceptable.
so where did you come up with the " i`m stuck with a scratched 2500$ saw"? did you call them and speak to a person as i did? i don`t have any interest in either you or wilke machine or general tools for that matter but the claim that you where stuck sounded a little out there so i took it uppon myself to call them and ask "what`s up" have you given them a chance to make things right?
tod

Gary Herrmann
05-09-2006, 7:51 PM
Corey, I'd follow up with both General and Wilke again. Granted, my experience with General was positive - I was only missing the arbor wrench and rail directions. Even tho its long distance, I wouldn't leave something like this to email. Its too easy to ignore. A disgruntled customer on the phone is a different matter.

Good luck.

Steven J Corpstein
05-09-2006, 8:04 PM
it was perfect. Every time I use it, I'm even more impressed. I'm not trying to rub it in, I'd be jumping on their desk about it. I expect perfect when I pay that much for an item.

I posted a not so well accepted message a while back on why I'm not considering Grizzly anymore for a jointer. I just find it unacceptable for a company to sell items and not take measures to insure the end user gets a BRAND NEW item.

I don't want to call Customer Service and rave how they took care of it. If I wanted to rebuild a machine, I'd buy used and save a huge amount of money.

Sorry for the rant, but that is why the manufacturers keep selling sub par goods. They can claim it on their insurance instead of absorbing the scrap in their manufacturing budget.

Corey Pionk
05-09-2006, 9:39 PM
corey,
after reading your post i phoned wilke machinery. they made it quite clear to me that a scratched table on a new saw was unacceptable.
so where did you come up with the " i`m stuck with a scratched 2500$ saw"? did you call them and speak to a person as i did? i don`t have any interest in either you or wilke machine or general tools for that matter but the claim that you where stuck sounded a little out there so i took it uppon myself to call them and ask "what`s up" have you given them a chance to make things right?
tod

Well I did call and they were some help and they are great over there at Wilke's so I'm not nocking them I'm just frustrated. They did call General for me and found out that I did email General and they just told me to email General back and go from there and to give them a call back to see how things go. So now I'm in the process of sending pics to General. But this is what General emailed me so this is why I feel I'm stuck with a scratched saw.

Good afternoon,

If it is a cosmetic defect and it does not affect the quality of the
cut nor the working condition of the table saw, if all measurements
are within specs, there would be no warranty replacement required.

But, you should send us pictures of the scratched table so we can
look at it. Also measure the size and depth of the scratches. The
table saw serial number is necessary too.

We never had to replace a new table top because it was scratched.
It would have been caught by quality control people and the problem
would have been fixed before the table saw is crated and shipped out.
Let us give a look at yours...

Regards,

Christian St-Cyr,
Customer Service,
General Mfg Co. Ltd

Narayan Nayar
05-09-2006, 9:54 PM
If it is a cosmetic defect and it does not affect the quality of the cut nor the working condition of the table saw, if all measurements are within specs, there would be no warranty replacement required. But, you should send us pictures of the scratched table so we can look at it. Also measure the size and depth of the scratches. The table saw serial number is necessary too. We never had to replace a new table top because it was scratched. It would have been caught by quality control people and the problem would have been fixed before the table saw is crated and shipped out. Let us give a look at yours...

Corey, I think this is a perfectly reasonable response from General. They want you to send pictures so they can look at the top.

All companies make mistakes. Be it in manufacturing, packaging, shipping, etc...none of them have a perfect track record. The good companies, however, fix their mistakes in a reasonable and timely manner.

Your tabletop is scratched. Not much can be done about that fact. Out of curiosity, what response from General or Wilkes would be satisfactory to you? General is asking you to send photos. Wilkes may benefit from photos as well. Do you want a new saw? A new top?

Dave Mapes
05-09-2006, 10:57 PM

:mad: I feel the same way as Tod. Why bitch about something here if you don't have the courtesty to contact the vendor first. I have found the majority of vendors want satisfied customers and will try to fix the problem. Then if you can't get any results come and voice your problems on this form. In the meantime give the vendor a chance.

Allen Bookout
05-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Below are two excerpts from the above email from General with my comments.

"Good afternoon,

If it is a cosmetic defect and it does not affect the quality of the
cut nor the working condition of the table saw, if all measurements
are within specs, there would be no warranty replacement required."

I think that this is one of the most incrediable statements that I have ever seen. What they are saying is that is is perfectly acceptable for their products to have scratches on them. How would you like it if your new specially ordered car came with a big scratch down the side and the manufacturer said that it is quite OK as it still drives fine so we are not going to do anything about it? After all that is all that we guarantee. All I can say is -------- WOW!!!!!!!

General goes on to say:

"We never had to replace a new table top because it was scratched.
It would have been caught by quality control people and the problem
would have been fixed before the table saw is crated and shipped out."

From the above statement they seem to be saying that they are sure that it was OK when it left them so you must have scrached it. The reason that I say that is that if they believed that either the distributor or the shipper scratched it it seems like that they would take some responsibility in finding out what happened and see that your problem was taken care of.

So far General is less than impressive to me. In fact, I think that their attituded is horrid.

I am glad that you posted this here for all of us to see. I am an easy going guy but this type of thing makes me so mad that if no one helped me out I would consult an attorney and pursue the matter on general principal. Document well. What I hope that you have is a dated picture of the top so that you can prove that it was in the condition that it is now when it was uncrated. Let that be a lesson for all of us.

Good Luck and let us know how things are going as time progresses.

Allen

tod evans
05-10-2006, 7:37 AM
allen and corey, i read the note from general in a different light, they are saying that a scratched table should have never left their factory and it`s very likely that one never has untill possibly now? they`re not saying that they won`t stand behind their product, at least what i read didn`t say anything of the sort? i still say give them, wilke and general, a chance and they`ll make it right. from the picture you posted it looks as though the scratch is deap enough and running across the table in such a way as to affect feeding wood into the saw? if this is so i can guarantee that the top will be replaced or reground as no manufacturer or reseller wants the liability of a dissfunctional tool. .02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2006, 8:03 AM
Ok I contacted Wilke's and they were no help either. And prior you said General was no help too?

OUCH.
I don't usually suggest things as harsh as this - but from the sound of it, you have exhausted all options.
If this thing matters to you a great deal read on otherwise you may have to live with the beating you got.

Have you reviewed your purchase agreement - carefully.
Take an hour or so to go over every single word and phrase in all of the documentation you have regarding the purchase - including the warranty, PO, shipping orders, etc. Look for anything that mentions risk of loss, buyer acceptance, pour over the warrantee word by word.

Look for a clause that selects a forum justisdiction for disputes. It'll say something like " the courts and laws of "X" state control all disputes arising from this agreement" - - or something like that. If there is nothing selecting the forum state you may be able to hail them into court in your home county.

This will likely be small claims. Small claims in many states lets lawyers in the room but won't let them represent parties and even where the state's rules allow attorney representation the rules of evidence and other rules are almost entirely ignored allowing the layman to be heard without the formality of a real court proceeding. That means you usually don't need to know a damn thing about the law. The Judge will giude the parties through the process.

Once you are before a judge you can Tell your story and they can too - if they show up. The judge will apply the law as well as some measure of substantial fairness and try to find a just result. Likely it'll be some version of splitting the baby, sending everyone home equally unhappy.
However there are some very strong reasons to sue:
1.) They may not even want to bother and may simply call you and settle up. Then you can dismiss and forget it.
2.) if they don't answer your complaint or don't enter an appearance you win - period. You get everything on your wish list the judge will sign your order and you can go see the clerk about entering your judgment and then on to enforcement. GOOGLE "Collection Attorney" for enforcement help. They will want 30%.
3.) in most states a judgment docketed with the higher court gives you an automatic and recorded lien on all property owned by the other party in that state and it appears on all financial searches nationally when they want a loan.

John Miliunas
05-10-2006, 8:15 AM
Corey, first off, I really and very sincerely wish that this experience ends up being a "feel good" story, in as much as either, the tool vendor (Wilke) or the OEM (General) makes good on it. :) However, your experience does not bode well with what I've been seeing/hearing about General. I happen to work part time at a place who had been selling General for about a year or so. They had also received a TS with a scratched (deep) top. It took like "forever" to get a replacement, although they did finally get one to us. Point being, I would encourage you to pursue this to your satisfaction! For them to send out poorly machined or assembled equipment and then to deem it as "acceptable" is NOT my idea of good customer service! Good luck! :) :cool:

Ian Barley
05-10-2006, 8:27 AM
Before we put on a black cap and hang anybody it seems to me that General are interested in looking at this and will (in my estimation) be interested in working to solve the problem if it is a problem. Maybe the best thing is to give them a chance to do so.

I also don't accept the analogy made to a new car. In a car the paintwork is part of the functionality of the car - being there to protect the base material from the effect of the elements. If the paintwork on my car is not intact neither is its weather protection. If you want to make an analogy with a car then I would use the tires. It is acceptable to ask for a replacement car because the tires got dirty wheeling it off the transporter? The top of a saw is where material meets material. It will get scratched. If it doesn't it is because you are not using the saw.

General also, by my reading, have not said that the top could not possibly be scratched to the point where it needs replacement. They have said that their past experience is that this has not happened. They have not said that it never could.

If the scratch on the top interferes with the use or safety of the saw in some way then it should be resolved by the party to whom you paid your money (Wilkey?). If it is not so resolved then you should consider recourse to law. In the UK I would cite "merchantable quality" and the Sale Of Goods Act. I suspect that the US has a similar provision. If I buy a saw and it is not fully functional then I did not get what I paid for and am entitled to claim recompense. If you consider that this scratch is more than cosmetic then you need to work up a realistic scenario in which that is the case and present it to your supplier. If you cannot do that then you may be forced to concede that the scratch is indeed "cosmetic". How you choose to deal with the suppliers involved in the future is then up to you.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-10-2006, 8:42 AM
I agree. The money they charge is too great for anything less than ecastly what they promise. When you are shown a sample that sample becomes the definition of acceptable goods. The maker and dealer are obligated to make it no less perfect than the sample you saw. The show room and the Trade show are places where they display samples.

If when you go to the show room or trade show the paint is chipped the motor mounts are bent or the castings are scratched up on the show samples then that is what you should expect.

The definition of acceptable goods at law is not whether it works, unless the written agreement expressly articulates such a low bar. Acceptable goods must comport with the samples they used to sell you. This is to be distinguished from marketing puffery such as those impossibly plump hamburgers you see on fast food ads.
A flyer or a picture online or in a journal is puffery. The actual machine on display is the sample.

The "puffery -vs- sample" issue is, of course, is a debatable point and surely were you to litigate it hotly, a good lawyer would be capable of raising a good counter argument. I can't picture this being disputed hotly. The machine is what $2 -$3 grand tops if that? For a lousy few grand they ought to roll over and fix the thing to your liking.

Steven Wilson
05-10-2006, 9:34 AM
Tod,
I do not wish to bully anyone either, but in my case why should I pay to send a peice of deffective equipment back at my expense, not to mention the labor factor? This is the only way I was able to get the attention of the distributor and the manufacture.

Machines are sold FOB, you're responsible for the shipping charges to/from their shipping doc. Suck it up and get use to it, that's how the world works.

Steven Wilson
05-10-2006, 9:52 AM
Corey,

The vibration of the saw worries me the most. Hopefully it's due to the belts (either bad or need adjusting) and not something more serious. As for saw top scratches, you will get them. In a year your top will be scratched up a bit, you'll also get rust, and eventually you'll hit the top with some abrasive to clean things up. If the scratch is truly a gouge and effects the operation of the saw then it's a problem, otherwise it isn't going to effect the purpose of the saw unless you bought the saw to look cool to your friends. General's response so far has been appropriate. So go out and take you're good straight edge and measure the flatness of the table to see if it's in spec. Then cut wood and see if that scratch matters.