PDA

View Full Version : Which jointer?

Al Willits
05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm now looking for a Jointer after picking up a Deltas Hybrid ts, a Porter Cable Miter saw and plunge router set, and a Delta 14" band saw in my quest to do woodworking when I retire...soon I hope.

I spent more than a little time in the search section and it seems a 6" jointer is gonna leave me a bit short, so I'm leaning to wards the 8" version.

I have narrowed it down to the Powermatic 8" which is really more than a bit more than I want to spend and the York YC8j which seems to get good reviews also.

Seems the York is about $689 and the Powermatic is $849, the York is pushing my finances as it is, but wondering if there's any reason to get the powermatic instead?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks.

I'm also looking for a used 8" unit, but they are a bit scarce.

Al

Larry Cooke
05-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Hello Al,

I'm not going to help with your decision, rather I'm going to add more to decide to it. :)

Have you looked at the Grizzly G0490 yet? This seems to me a fairly popular jointer, it has a 3 HP motor and built in mobility as well. It's price is $750.00 - somewhere in between your numbers. Here's a link to it:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490

I'n not recommending it per se but it certainly deserves some attention in my opinion.

Good luck!

Larry

Larry Fox
05-09-2006, 12:11 AM
I would certainly consider the used market for an 8" jointer. Ads for them seem to appear fairly frequently. I bought my DJ-20 that way and could not be happier.

BTW: Where can you buy a new Powermatic 8" jointer for $849?

Allen Bookout
05-09-2006, 12:19 AM
I agree with Larry Cooke. Take a good look at the Grizzly GO490 before you make up your mind. There have been several threads here recently concerning this model. You might want to try a search.

I also agree with Larry Fox. If you can find a good preowned DJ-20 at a good price that could also be a good buy. They want too much for a new one in my opinion. However Al, like you I could not find much in the used market around here.

From a satisfied GO490 owner. Allen

Seth Poorman
05-09-2006, 1:14 AM
Al
You could also look for a used old american made machine.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-09-2006, 8:48 AM
If $$ is your driving force take a long look ar Grizzly and Wood Tek.

You might also tale a look at the Used machine tool market.

8" seems like a big enough jointer until you want to face joint something bigger. Then again how often will that be? Also you can always face joint that occasional big stuff with a hand plane or a router bridge.

Al Willits
05-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Sorry, the $849 was for the 6" Powermatic, I think the 8" was about $1100 or so locally.

I'll take a look at the Grizzly, thanks.

Cost is a factor, but if spending a few bucks more gets me a better unit I can wait a bit, 8" is gonna be max for me as anything bigger will cost far to much for the hobby wood worker in me.
I had originally started with a 6" and after looking into it for a bit, seems many who bought the 6" wound up wishing they had the 8".
So at 58 I'm trying to shorten the learning curve a bit here...:)

A good used Jointer would be nice, and I've seen several that looked good, except ones in Calif and the other Texas...bit fer to drive.
I'll keep looking up to the point I actually buy one, but ya, an older Delta would be nice.
Ya see one near Minnesota let me know will ya...:)

Once again, thanks guys.

Al

Al Willits
05-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Just went to the Grizzly site, any reason I shouldn't consider the GO586 as its about a $100 cheaper and seems to have good specs?

Al

Allen Bookout
05-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Al,

In every report that I have seen the GO586 owners are also very happy with their machines so I would not rule it out. However, if you need a mobil base and add that cost you are close to the GO490.

I suppose that between the two it would just depend if you need a mobil base or not and if the parallelogram design is important enough to you to spend a couple of extra bucks.

You will see arguments for both the dovetailway system and the parallelogram system but aside from most of those arguments I wanted the parallelogram for the onboard adjustment of the tables, if necessary, versus having to use shims.

Allen

Dave Sweeney
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Awhile back, on one of these WW BB's, there was a thread asking what jointers people owned. As a jointer is in my future I kept track of the result for my future use. The unofficial and very unscientific results for 8" jointers were, by number of owners responding;
1. Delta DJ-20 (8)
2. Grizzly (5)
3. Delta Professional (2)
4. Powermatic (2)
5. Woodtek (1)
6. Jet (1)
7. Sunhill (1)
8. General International (1)

Al Willits
05-09-2006, 1:23 PM
Good point on the mobile base, I am set up in the garage and all the major equiptment is on a mobile base, in case wife wants to put her car in during hail storms...:)

Not sure of the difference between paralellogram and dovetail are, but if the paralellogram table is more adjustable, and it comes with a mobile base it sounds like the way to go.

In this case more expensive sounds like cheaper in the long run...thanks.

Thanks for the list also, no Yorks out there?? :)

Al

Al Willits
05-09-2006, 10:30 PM
OK, I've spent most the day trying to come up with "the" Jointer...
And I keep coming back to the York 8" one, it has the 5" fence, long beds, 4 cutter head, 110/220v and the wheels for adjusting the beds, which the old machinist in me likes, also it has the built in mobile base.

The Grizzlies look nice but the cheaper one has the wheels for adjusting, long bed, only a 4" fence and is closer size/spec wise to what I'd like, the more expensive one has the 5" fence, built in mobile base and I think more power.

Be nice to combine them, but if I had to choose, I'd lean towards the
GO586, now....give me a few minutes and I'll probably change my mind again..:)

Anyway, any problems with getting the York?
Not much I could find for reviews, but most seem to like it.

tia
Al

Dave Bonde
05-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello Al, I see you are from Minn. Have you checked on the shipping cost of the Yorkcraft - I'm not trying to talk you out of it but I was going to buy a Yorkcraft 20" planer and the shipping to Iowa was very expensive, the people were great and the machine looked good I just couldn't get myself to pay the shipping. I also have the Grizzly 490 and was impressed with it during assembly and have been VERY happy with it (although I have only run about 400ft through it). I have used powermatic, delta and jet jointers and in my opinion (yes it is worth what you paid for it :) ) the grizzly is a great value. Good luck. If your driving through Iowa soon I will let you test drive the Grizzly. Dave

John Kain
05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Proud owner of a new Delta X5 6" here.

If I was going 8" (and I will in 20 years after I give the 6" to my son), I'd be hard-pressed not to go with the G0490. Griz has a problem with one of the motor mounts being too weak for shipping, but I thought it was corrected with better packaging (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Not too many had problems with this machine otherwise..........

Rick Schubert
05-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Al,

I've got the Yorkie 8" jointer that I've been happy with so far.

I did have an issue with shipping which you can read about in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23320

It also lists my shipping costs. You probably won't have the lift gate problem if you're in Mpls.

Rick

Bill Randall
05-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi, Al, I am new today to the forum and was fascinated and pleased with the responses to your posting. I am (a little) older at an ancient 59-1/2 and just setting up as you are. Perhaps we can suffer through "the early years" together, with the help of the vets. I have a Bosch router and table saw and a Hitachi sliding miter so far. Next for me is a jointer, too, but our finances seem similar.

In the middle of my first woodworking class at night, making a Shaker-style Cherry stepstool. Seemed like a piec of cake, but I'm really learning just how hard it is to square up a board well.

Good luck to you!

Dave Harker
05-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I've got a Grizzly G1018 8" jointer. They discontinued it last year, but I think it is basically a shorter (65" bed) version of their least expensive, 75" long 8" jointer.

I'm in Rochester, you are welcome to see if it you are down here sometime.

Here is a web page with pics and description of the setup of it, and also of the G1023SL table saw - I ordered them together.

I used the jointer for about 2 hrs straight this morning, filled 3 trash cans of shavings, all hard maple - worked great!

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/WWShop/grizzly2004tools.html

Ken Werner
05-10-2006, 9:04 AM
I think you're right to go with the 8". I used a 4 then went to 6, then 8. This may be nit picking, but the Grizz has 4 blades, which may be more of a PITA to both change, and buy, rather than sets of 3.

That being said, used old iron can be wonderful - but ya can't call up and order it, you have to be patient and persevere. You could try a WTB [want to buy] posting here in classifieds too for what you want. Never know what you might find.

Good luck.
Ken

christopher miller
05-10-2006, 9:34 AM
I would also consider length ,the longer the better.being #1 priority if it were me Chris

Al Willits
05-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Rick, you are up in some beautiful country up there, but I'll bet you
have a bit of trouble with delivery's there..:)

I'm thinking in Mpls a lift gate shouldn't be a problem, if
they can drop it in the drive way I can drag it into the garage..
Dave, I emailed York and asked them what shipping will be, I think Grizzly says its a $133 for their shipping costs, so I'm hoping close to that.

Have to wait and see if they respond with a cost.

Bill you old fart (hehe) ya I think we're probably pretty close in where we're
at in wood working, I'm probably building the same step stool in class now....:)
Good luck and keep in touch, we'll have to compare piles of sawdust...:)
And your right, this a good forum, they all seem pretty friendly and willing to help....

Thanks all for the offers to try your Jointers out, I'm so new at this I'm not sure
what to look for, having a grand total of maybe 5 mins total Jointer time so far.

Most of the major brands seem to be made well, and it seems like features are the big point
in deciding, that and reviews and opinions of people like you, thanks again.
btw, I'm back leaning towards the 490 if I go with Grizzly....leastwise today I am.

Anyway, considering any of these Jointers are more than I had planned on spending, I
need to get the stash fund to equal the cost of the Jointer, so I have a bit of time to
change my mind again, and look for a used one a bit closer than Texas...:)
But I am down to two which is better than before and for this I thank you for your help.
Al

ps...Just got this from York
""""
Hello,
The Yorkcraft YC-8J jointers are due in the end of this month.
The shipping cost for a YC-8J, 8" jointer to zip 55417 at 550 lbs is $199.85 less the current Freight Discount Special of $30.00 is $169.85
The total cost with shipping $858.85
The freight quote includes a power lift gate service at no extra cost.
The in-feed and out-feed tables are mounted in dovetail ways. An adjustable gib is used to remove the "play" in the ways and true the tables.
Regards,
Curt/sales
Wilke Machinery Co
3230 Susquehanna Trail
York, Pa 17402
800-235-2100 ph
"""""""""""""