PDA

View Full Version : It is official!... Olly's spinning

Steve Ash
05-08-2006, 10:26 PM
YEEHAW!

You guys didn't think it was going to stay clean did ya? :D :cool:

Tonight my son Steve Jr. got home from work early and wired me up (not permanently)so I could start turning. I already had a birdseye maple pen blank all ready to go so I got busy. The pen didn't turn out so good but at this point..Who Cares!

Then Jr. started out spinning some good old wet box elder....wet shavings everywhere. That ought to start the Oliver to rusting.....I think I enjoyed watching him as much as anything.

Maybe it isn't exactly the way it was when it was new cosmetically...some chrome, some flames, some pinstripes, color is maybe not dead on but mechanically it is completely gone through and in perfect working condition....but it fits me to a "T" and that's what it is all about. And this old Oliver will get used and that's better than rusting away some where.

Thanks everybody for watching this Oliver 159 restoration from the beginning.....I had a ball.

Jim Dunn
05-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Great looking job. Don't let a little rust ruin the evening. Just wait till there is Mylands finish dripping from the lathe bed then worry, just a little:)

Corey Hallagan
05-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Excellent Steve, looks like you were headed in the right direction on the pen anyway. What happened?

Corey

Steve Ash
05-08-2006, 11:23 PM
What happened?

Corey

I pressed the part of the pen that has the ink into the pen too deeply so that when you twist it to retract into the pen blank it doesn't retract far enough. (not sure of correct terminology) No biggie we'll use it around the house..it still works fine.

John Miliunas
05-08-2006, 11:29 PM
"YEEHAW!" is right, bro!!! :D The Olly looked mighty fine when you got her done but, she looks even better with some wood chips on it!!! :D As I've said before, I've seen what you can do with wood on the flat side and I have no reservations in saying that, "the best is yet to come"!!! :) Way to go, my fine MI friend!!! :) :cool: (Hey, and Steve Jr. looks like he's got it going on, as well!) :D

Barry Stratton
05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
CONGRATS Steve, that has to be a great feeling! And from the looks of Jr. going at it, are you looking for another Oliver to restore for him?????

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-09-2006, 12:06 AM
That is great, now go buy yourself some REAL tools, those stubby little things you are trying to use SUCK.

I has similar stuff, the difference has let the C-man lathe survive until I can get something better.

You have a good lathe, now go buy some good tools, you will be amazed at how much more fun it is with the right tools, seriously!

Cheers!

Lars Thomas
05-09-2006, 1:18 AM
Looks like a real work horse. Nice job. Lars

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2006, 1:25 AM
Hey Steve looking good on a mighty fine looking machine. It looks really good Steve. You did a excellent job on it.

John Hart
05-09-2006, 6:54 AM
Just incredible what a great job you did and how little time it took. Now the fun begins!!;) :)

Steve Ash
05-09-2006, 7:35 AM
[quote=Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan] now go buy yourself some REAL toolsquote]

Tools? who can afford tools?

This brings something up that I should mention.....cost of restoration project.

Lathe.............................$500.00
Sanding/grinding disks.......$ 15.00
Paint..............................$ 40.00
Motor checked out............$ 42.00
Chrome accents................$ 57.36
Angle iron (control box)......$ 6.88

Total...(less switches) .... 661.24 :D

Keith Burns
05-09-2006, 7:48 AM
Steve, I am totally impressed with the job you did:) :) Very nice:) :)

Pete Jordan
05-09-2006, 7:55 AM
Looks like you and your partner in crime will be spending a ton of time together! That's what it is all about.

Dick Parr
05-09-2006, 8:02 AM
Great job Steve, the lathe looks great and it also looks like you two are enjoying it!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2006, 8:31 AM
Steve......excellent restoration/upgrade! Man you don't let any moss grow on the ash'es do you?

Tyler Howell
05-09-2006, 8:39 AM
I was hoping it was just for the love of old iron, but I see another good man has been seduced to the dark side by Spin Crack.:( :(

05-09-2006, 8:43 AM
[quote=Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan] now go buy yourself some REAL toolsquote]

Tools? who can afford tools?

This brings something up that I should mention.....cost of restoration project.

Lathe.............................$500.00
Sanding/grinding disks.......$ 15.00
Paint..............................$ 40.00
Motor checked out............$ 42.00
Chrome accents................$ 57.36
Angle iron (control box)......$ 6.88

Total...(less switches) .... 661.24 :D

Oh ya sure rub it it, $661.24 for a great lathe, I'm going to pay that for shipping alone! :(

Trust me, buy a good bowl gouge, you can get the unhanded P&N ones cheap, and make your own handles, get the 12mm one (1/2") it rocks! :D

Lee Valley has them unhanded for $28, come on, what's that, a large pizza, six pack and a video rental? :D

Trust me, once you start with some good tools, you will be surprised at how much MORE fun it becomes.

At least put some longer handles on them little stubbys you are using!!!!!!!!

:D

Steve Ash
05-09-2006, 8:56 AM
[quote=Steve Ash]

Oh ya sure rub it it, $661.24 for a great lathe, I'm going to pay that for shipping alone! :(

Trust me, buy a good bowl gouge, you can get the unhanded P&N ones cheap, and make your own handles, get the 12mm one (1/2") it rocks! :D

Stu, Stu, Stu,....I think you missed this thread my man.....:D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34945

since then I bought some more from a fellow creeker who sells these same brand. Guess I forgot to put up a gloat thread with all this restoration going on.

Tyler, fear not....I am a lover of old iron as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2006, 8:59 AM
Face it Tyler.........You are succombing.........You are posting and socializing with a bunch of turners........You want to turn Tyler.................You are starting to give in Tyler............Relax ..........it only hurts your pocket book.........Relax.......It's fun Tyler!:D

Jim Becker
05-09-2006, 9:28 AM
That's wonderful, Steve...great job and I'm glad the "christening" went well! Nice budget, too...great value!

Tyler Howell
05-09-2006, 9:59 AM
Face it Tyler.........You are succombing.........You are posting and socializing with a bunch of turners........You want to turn Tyler.................You are starting to give in Tyler............Relax ..........it only hurts your pocket book.........Relax.......It's fun Tyler!:D
Ken,
I'm just trying to save my fellow flat heads:( .
Grab the lost soul, do an intervention, and hopefully detox/deprogram them from the that devil drug Spin Crack.
We also grieve when they are lost forever.:(
PS Is that shop done yet

Andy Hoyt
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
.... PS Is that shop done yet

Of course it's done.

Got a lathe in it, don't it!?!?!

larry merlau
05-09-2006, 1:00 PM
well i know i am uninvited in this forum. but i needed to let you folks know that that lathe was for his son,(the original story) but i think that it has been changed alittle.. i was told on sunday that it was to rezide in the shop at steves:confused: now if it is to rezide there! ,,possession is what part of the law? by the way i am glad it got some dust on it casue it hurt my eyes sunday. had to wear shades it shinned so much. have fun steve, and Jr, too oh and tyler i left in time so as not to catch the fever. i know its devastating.:eek:

Pat Salter
05-09-2006, 1:02 PM
All that work on the big chunk of iron and the best you can do is pens and itty bitty stuff??? come on, Steve, Lets get some WOOD ON THERE!!!! ;) :D
It's a beauty and the sawdust only adds to the appeal.

Pat Salter
05-09-2006, 1:03 PM
well i know i am uninvited in this forum. but i needed to let you folks know that that lathe was for his son,(the original story) but i think that it has been changed alittle.. i was told on sunday that it was to rezide in the shop at steves:confused: now if it is to rezide there! ,,possession is what part of the law? by the way i am glad it got some dust on it casue it hurt my eyes sunday. had to wear shades it shinned so much. have fun steve, and Jr, too oh and tyler i left in time so as not to catch the fever. i know its devastating.:eek:

CHICKEN!!!!!! bawk ;) :D come on wussy boy, give it a try!

tod evans
05-09-2006, 1:03 PM
larry, being one of the few folks on the forum with a beard longer than mine, i suggest that you stay clear of spinning objects as much as possible:)

larry merlau
05-09-2006, 1:13 PM
larry, being one of the few folks on the forum with a beard longer than mine, i suggest that you stay clear of spinning objects as much as possible:)

yeah tod, i know the drill, was invited by a great turner to try my hand at it, but i was able to withstand the draw long enough for a lady to step up to the plate and she was hooked instantly. this great turner was some guy name bill perhaps you have heard of him, pat or tod:D oh and one more thing if i knew how to make it grow longer i would tod, but it seems to stay where its at even if i feed it???

05-09-2006, 3:18 PM
Of course it's done.

Got a lathe in it, don't it!?!?!

Classic!! :D

05-09-2006, 3:19 PM
Stu, Stu, Stu,....I think you missed this thread my man.....:D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34945

since then I bought some more from a fellow creeker who sells these same brand. Guess I forgot to put up a gloat thread with all this restoration going on.
Sorry, I must have been sleeping when you posted it........ :rolleyes:

Well then are you using these tools, because the ones you are using in the pics look like toothpicks!

Or maybe you guys just got fat hands ;) :D

Mike Ramsey
05-09-2006, 3:51 PM
You have done a fine job on restoring the Olly Steve!! Hope you enjoy
it for many years!!

Steve Ash
05-09-2006, 4:00 PM
try my hand at it, but i was able to withstand the draw

Well Larry did get his hands on my lathe last Sunday, he figured out that my planer handle was a real good fit for the variable speed dial....see he is getting closer to the vortex. Come on Larry and Tyler you guys are welcome to take a spin on a vintage hunk of junk err....I mean a fine hunk of iron....just come on over to the Ashman shop anytime. :D

Steve Ash
05-09-2006, 4:03 PM
Or maybe you guys just got fat hands ;) :D

They say a camera adds 15 lbs......

Actually Stu I do have a pretty decent start on some good tools but my kid just picked up whatever was handy at the time and as far as my pic...how big of a tool does a guy need to turn a pen blank? :D

Ernie Nyvall
05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Alright Steve, way to go. Have you got a finished pen yet?

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2006, 1:34 AM
BIG GREEN is PURDY, too, Steve.

But, don't ya think doin' pens is a little under-utilization of it.:D

Bruce;)