PDA

View Full Version : Mixer lift?

Steve Braman
05-08-2006, 9:25 PM
Just finishing up a remodel of the kitchen and have been requested by SWMBO to add a mixer lift to one of the cabinets. The issue is that it would need to mount under a drawer. I keep hearing that it is possible, but have yet to find one that looks like it will actually fit. Has anyone mounted a lift under a drawer? Any help would be great.

Bill Lewis
05-08-2006, 9:33 PM
When we did our kitchen we made space for a mixer lift. My wife has since decided that she doesn't want one (yet). As I recall they did make two models, one fhat installs below a drawer, and for a cabinet without a drawer. I could be wrong about this as it has been some time since I looked in to it. Best I can recall, Rockler or Woodworkers supply were the two places I found them but only one place had both models.

Jamie Buxton
05-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Here's one...
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/ProductID/WM16

Neil Clemmons
05-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Steve

Make sure you measure carefully. I purchased a lift from Rockler this winter to mount under a cabinet with a drawer. It turned out that the lift swung too low and would not retract all the way into the cabinet. So I'd start with a set of measurements - cabinet width and height below the drawer and then get on the phone with whatever source you locate.

I ended up returning the Rockler unit.

Good luck

Neil

Steve Braman
05-09-2006, 7:39 AM
We had purchased one that claimed to mount under a drawer and it didn't fit. I think it was the one Jamie posted. I realize that cabinets come in all shapes and sizes but did not consider this when I ordered the first one. It has gone back and am searching for a new one. I guess it only makes sense to get someone on the phone. Why my mind didn't come to that conclusion I don't know. I also had better luck last night searching for "appliance lift". Thanks for the input

Gary McKown
05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
that I considered when faced with a similar situation was to use the lift in a small roll-around "appliance garage" matching the cabinets but without a drawer (or have the drawer on the bottom). Haven't done it yet, as I have in mind another idea - an island with a mixer elevator where the top halves slide open as the mixer raises, forming a three-part top with work surface on both sides of the mixer. A simpler option would be to slide the halves open by hand, and use one of those spring-loaded sewing machine elevators to raise the mixer.

Dick Bringhurst
05-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Steve, I too tried to find a lift for a mixer when we remodeled our kitchen. I couldn't find any that had the proper clearence when "put away" or proper height when the mixer was to be in use. I ended up using a portion of a cabinet similar to the one on the left side of your first photo. I built a roll out shelf at counter height surfaced it with laminate and ran power to the back of the cabinet to plug in the mixer. The shelf was deep enought to hold the mixer and provide some working area, Actually I built two ot them. One for the mixer and one for the bread maker below it. Wife liked them. Dick B.