PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 113?

Dennis McDonaugh
08-30-2003, 7:34 PM
I'm starting a couple of projects that will require shaping a few gentle curves and I'm thinking of buying a Stanley 113 to do the work. They are kinda expensive and I'm trying to get first hand feedback on the plane. Thanks.

Jim DeLaney
08-30-2003, 10:50 PM
I'm starting a couple of projects that will require shaping a few gentle curves and I'm thinking of buying a Stanley 113 to do the work. They are kinda expensive and I'm trying to get first hand feedback on the plane. Thanks.

I don't use mine a lot, but it does the job when I do... It can be a bit tempermental to use, and of course you have to watch for the frequent grain-direction changes as you plane the curves.

If you only have a few curves to do, and arent (yet!) a plane collector, you might want to consider a spokeshave instead. Check out the Lee Valley shave for about $40. It'll do the job for you - probably easier, and definitely cheaper than a 113.

<FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" COLOR="Blue">********************************

<Center>Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Jim D.</FONT></Center>

harry strasil
08-31-2003, 12:00 PM

I agree with Jim, Dennis about using a spokeshave. I use my 113 very little. There is another alternative though, a rasp. Rasp close to the line, (a four in one hand or shoe rasp has 4 surfaces, 2 flat and 2 rounded, 2 fine and 2 course), then finish by sanding.
Many old furniture pieces have rasp marks under and behind in places that are not seen unless you move around and look.

irnsrgn

Dennis McDonaugh
09-02-2003, 8:50 PM
Thanks for he replies. Normally I cut curved parts out a little oversize on the bandsaw, then sand to the line on a belt or spindle sander. Sometimes I end up with small indentations in the sanded edges because I get too aggressive with the sander and have to hand sand. I thought a plane might be easier than sanding. I haven't used a spoke shave, but I think I'll try one before looking into the 113. Thanks.

Larry Feasel
09-12-2003, 3:32 PM
I just finished up the curve on a craftsman style headboad with a Veritas spokeshave. I cut the rough curve with a bandsaw and then cut a 1/4 piece of walnut and clamped it to the curve for a pattern profile and used the spokeshave to shave to the line. The spokeshave worked great.