PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have access to carfax?

Jim O'Dell
05-08-2006, 7:27 PM
I'm looking for a favor if you have access to Carfax without a burdon to you. I have a single VIN I'd like to look up. Seems the LOML's car blew a head gasket Saturday am. As luck would have it, it was at my workplace, and we were able to get it inside the compound. I've found a used replacement vehicle that looks pretty clean for a decent price, but would like to know about the 7 entries Carfax is showing for it. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful! Jim.

Michael Ballent
05-08-2006, 7:34 PM
I do not have a subscription to Carfax, but I can let you know consumer reports thoughts on the model... send me a PM and I can get you the info...

Jim O'Dell
05-08-2006, 7:52 PM
Thanks for the offer, Michael. I'm not real concerned with that. The car that blew the head gasket is a 1994 Dodge Caravan SE. The one I'm looking at is a 1999 Dodge Caravan SE/Sport. It has the 3.3L engine my 94 was supposed to have standard in it, but had an engine delete down to the 3.0L Mitsubishi built engine that I understand (NOW:rolleyes: ) has a lot problems. The 3.3 is supposed to be a workhorse and even has a timing chain instead of the belt that has to be replaced. I'm more concerned that it wasn't totalled and rebuilt. There are no signs of that, but you never know!!! Thanks again for the offer. Jim.

Jerry Clark
05-08-2006, 9:21 PM
I will check for problems with my brother-- he is with a major engine rebuild company.:)

Jim O'Dell
05-08-2006, 9:23 PM
Thanks, Jerry!!

Jerry Clark
05-09-2006, 10:53 AM
No real problems, heads give some problems, dropping seats, but usually after running hot or detonating.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Not a bad engine, as far as caravan engines go-- Jim !

(Overheating is the death of lots of engines- Jerry) <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Joe Pelonio
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Jim,

If no one subscribed responds pay the $19 and get the carfax yourself, it's well worth it. I got burned on a really nice car that later when the fuel pump went out and the tank dropped we found a ton of rust. I went ahead and ran it and found out that while I bought it here in Redmond, WA it had just come here from New Jersey where I guess they salt the roads.
With 7 items it could just be a lot of different owners, but even then you'd wonder why.

Also, remember there are still flood cars out there.

Jim O'Dell
05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks Jerry and Joe. Yeah, we have already seen flood cars here due to the Katrina situation. Lots of wholesalers get them then the dealer can't refuse a great deal!! Working for a dealership, I have been able to determine where it was originally purchased (just west of town) and the previous owners were an older couple. From the decals on the vehicle, I'd say retired military. I may do the Carfax thing. I was just hoping someone out there had a subscription for some reason. I'd be happy to send a $5.00 or so donation to their favorite cause (SMC??) for their time and trouble. The dealsership I work for doesn't believe in information such as Carfax, so I've got no help here other than finding recall and warranty repair history.
Thanks again!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks Jerry and Joe. Yeah, we have already seen flood cars here due to the Katrina situation. Lots of wholesalers get them then the dealer can't refuse a great deal!! Working for a dealership, I have been able to determine where it was originally purchased (just west of town) and the previous owners were an older couple. From the decals on the vehicle, I'd say retired military. I may do the Carfax thing. I was just hoping someone out there had a subscription for some reason. I'd be happy to send a $5.00 or so donation to their favorite cause (SMC??) for their time and trouble. The dealsership I work for doesn't believe in information such as Carfax, so I've got no help here other than finding recall and warranty repair history.
Thanks again!! Jim.

ps: Jerry, thank your brother for me!!

Chris Rosenberger
05-09-2006, 4:08 PM
Jerry,

Do not depend only on the information in the Carfax report.
Carfax only includes public & insurance information.
We bought an SUV last year that looked brand new. I got a Carfax report before making the purchase & it did not show any problems. This vehicle was for my wife to drive, so I was going over it to see how the seats worked, how to get the spare out. I found something that lead me look a closer look at the car. Long story short was that the car had been totaled. The 2 parties settled privately & a friend of the previous owner repaired the car & then they traded it in on another vehicle.

Ken Garlock
05-09-2006, 9:26 PM
Oh come on now Jim, that is a one day job for a sharp mechanic like you.:D

Let's see, gasket blew on Saturday, this is Tuesday. Why don't you have it fixed by now?:confused: It must not have been a Ford family product; does the boss know you have a "foreign" car.;)

After all the smoke clears. I used CarFax once when I was checking out a 95 F-150. You can get the report online and pay with a credit card. It couldn't be easier.

I hope you found a good one.:cool:

Jim O'Dell
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Ken. No, LOML's car is not a Ford product. :o It's a '94 Dodge. But lucky for me the man the owns the L/M dealership I work for also has a Dodge dealership on the same lot!!!
I figure I got a lot more miles out of that 3.0 Mitsubishi engine than most people do (163,000). Almost had a take out replacement engine for 750.00, but it had already been sold. I would have repowered for that price plus labor. But a long block would probably cost me 2500.00 plus labor. I would still need tires plus tags and inspection are due this month. I come out just a little more with the '99 Caravan, and it has realatively new tires, and was just tagged and inspected in April. Plus I still have the old one to part out. I figure it's a no brainer.
I think I've found a way to get the Carfax deal. I'll know in the morning. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. Jim.