PDA

View Full Version : One of the challenges with mesquite...

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-30-2003, 6:49 PM
...is the tremendous variety of color and grain pattern. At the mesquite outfit, we seldom make any serious effort to match either...the real challenge is finding enough suitable material to begin with, especially with lengths over about 60". Once it's all surfaced I'll do my best to match what I've got to work with, but sometimes it's not real close. I try to make up for this by making the widths of the planks 'symmetrical'...fer instance, I'll use two 8" boards for the outside pieces, two sevens inside those, and three fives in the middle. That's on stuff I build for them. Today I was at home building something for my bizness, looking for 4 planks 5" wide for a small oval tabletop. I skim planed seventeen pieces of lumber looking for four that matched a little. I had a couple good sets of three, but couldn't find a fourth to match either. I finally gave up when I ran out of rough lumber that was both wide and long enough, and just put it together. It'll look good when it's finished, and probably nobody in the world would care other than me and you, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth the extra bother!

Happy weekend...

Charles McKinley
08-30-2003, 9:36 PM
At least you have all of it skim planed for future reference. :D

Steve Jenkins
08-31-2003, 10:28 AM
K.C., Sometimes when I run into that kind of problem I will use the three that match then use one that is closest, rip it in half and use them as the ouside pieces. It acts sorta like a border and usually looks pretty good. Steve