PDA

View Full Version : TS Input Needed: Grizzly G0444 vs G0444Z

C Duff
05-08-2006, 3:51 PM
Hello all.

As I'm just starting to get into the hobby, I'm looking at getting my first true table saw. As I've been doing my research on the different table saws, I've settled in the 5-600 range for my target saw. With that in mind, I have looked at the Delta, Craftsman, Jet, Ridgid, and Grizzly. After looking at all of them, I've settled in on the Grizzly line (I've seen all in person as my parents live near Springfield and it is easy for me to get to the show room). Bonuses for me were the dust collection for use w/ a shopvac, price vs. value, better (to me at least) fence included as the "base" fence, and better feel when seeing it in person vs. all the other saws.

My quandry - As I will either be getting the G0444 or the G0444Z, I need input regarding the power. As the G0444 comes wired for a 120 outlet (which IS what I will be using in my garage) I don't anticipate any need other that setup and alignment in getting it running. However, the cast iron wings of the G0444Z does have me interested in that model. However, as it comes wired for 240, but "can" be wired for 120, I still have kept it in my option list.

As the difference in price isn't great enough for me to auto cancel the Z, I am curious as to what the reduction in power will do for the machine as it is ran. Will it cause the machine to bog down while being used (I don't expect it to see heavy use, more weekend wood butchering) but I don't want to fight it? Will it cause the machine to run a lot "harder" to achieve the same results? Etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

tod evans
05-08-2006, 3:55 PM
"c", welcome to smc! (we use our real names here) to answer your question a single phase motor will make the same power wether it`s wired 120 or 240. in the 120 mode you will need to pay attention to wire and breaker size...02 tod

Larry James
05-08-2006, 5:07 PM
I just ordered the G0444Z today!!! I checked out a lot of saws in the same price range and always came back to the G0444Z. I installed a 240 volt 10-3 gauge circuit for my saw. Can't wait to retire my old Craftsman.

Check the specification sheet for the G0444Z on the Griz web site. The 2hp motor is rated at 24 amps when wired for 120 volts. 120 volt circuits are usually rated for a maximum of 20 amps (12 gauge wire). At 240 the amp draw is 12 amps. I don't think there is much reduction in power if you go with the G0444. You will probably need to install a separate 120 volt circuit for the G0444.

Larry

C Duff
05-08-2006, 5:10 PM
The saw is going to be on its own 120 circuit with 12 gauge wire, so doesn't look like the Z will be an option. Will stick with the 044. Now to see if I can get a deal in July @ the Scratch & Dent sale

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 5:11 PM
I'm a fan and owner of Grizzly products, but when I was in a similar position as you a year or so ago, I got the Ridgid table saw, and have no regrets whatsover. Keep in mind that any TS3650 you see assembled at Home Depot is only a hint at what the saw actually feels like when it's properly set up. Whichever saw you decide on, I'd recommend getting the cast iron wings. Mass is good.

- Vaughn

Jeremy Gibson
05-08-2006, 5:38 PM
I've owned the 444Z for about a year now and I think it's a great saw. Yes, I invested in a new sub-panel in the garage to support a 220 circut, but like you know it can run on 110. I picked the Z because of the larger motor and the cast iron wings. I really wanted the weight and smooth top over the stamped steel wings.

That being said, you could get the 444 to match your power situation and later replace one or both wings with cast iron wings from Grizzly, a nice router table (cast iron BenchDog comes to mind), or an extended homemade wing on the right. If you're like me you'll also want to put a folding outfeed table like the one designed by Jim Becker. Having support behind the blade has made a world of difference to me, but it folds down to take up no more space than the motor itself.

I think the only difference is the motor and wings so I'm sure either will be fine.

Kent Fitzgerald
05-08-2006, 5:47 PM
The saw is going to be on its own 120 circuit with 12 gauge wire, so doesn't look like the Z will be an option. Will stick with the 044. Now to see if I can get a deal in July @ the Scratch & Dent sale

If you already have a dedicated circuit, it's about a 15 minute job to change it over to 240V.

Tim Morton
05-08-2006, 5:48 PM

So no possible way to put in a 220 circuit? You know you will need one as soon as you install a Dust collector.:D

Then grab this saw

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0576

In reality the 444 will be fine...i just like to stir things up a little:D

glenn bradley
05-08-2006, 5:52 PM
If you get a chance to use a full cast iron top, you will loath having to go back to stamped steel. No comparison. I solved this problem once by dumping the stamped steel wings (hated them) and added a router table on one side and my own smooth extension to the other. This along with a ninty pound sack of cement lying in the bottom of the stand (for mass) made a fairly servicable saw.

Dave Mapes
05-08-2006, 5:54 PM
If you already have a dedicated circuit, it's about a 15 minute job to change it over to 240V.

C what Kent is saying is since you have dedicated 12/3 circuit all you would need to do for 220 is change the breaker and outlet. No wire changes would be needed.

I would suggest you go with the Z if for nothing else the cast iron wings.

Dave

scott spencer
05-08-2006, 6:04 PM
I think both of those saws are great choices in your price range...best fence in that class IMO. However, unless you plan to go with 220v or a 30 amp 110v circuit, you won't meet the electrical needs of the 0444Z. You can always add a CI wing or two on the 0444 later. The right blade choice can overcome any power difference pretty easily.

C Duff
05-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback. I'd looked into having a 220 installed into my garage (having a 120 installed now as I have a serious lacking of plugs, aka 1) and asked regarding the 220. This would have added another 500 to my cost, which ultimately run a table saw on the weekend didn't make sense.

I think the idea of adding the cast iron wings off of the Z part list might be my best option. Thanks to all for the input.

Ken Salisbury
05-09-2006, 2:27 AM
In order to be a boni fide member of Sawmill Creek the Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) require you to use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Tim Morton
05-09-2006, 6:56 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback. I'd looked into having a 220 installed into my garage (having a 120 installed now as I have a serious lacking of plugs, aka 1) and asked regarding the 220. This would have added another 500 to my cost, which ultimately run a table saw on the weekend didn't make sense.

I think the idea of adding the cast iron wings off of the Z part list might be my best option. Thanks to all for the input.

I can feel THAT pain...I ended up seling a really nice jointer and DC because the electricians around here are THEIVES..I was quoted 1100 for 2 220 outlets.