PDA

View Full Version : Question about Anchorseal

John Abt
05-08-2006, 3:36 PM
I have a stack of end grain from logs treated with Anchorseal. They were trimmed off to make bowl blanks and to get rid of some minor cracks.

Does anyone know whether it's safe to burn these ends with the Anchorseal in a fireplace? I'd appreciate your comments.

Brad Hart
05-08-2006, 3:39 PM
i have burned it before with no problems but I didn't burn a great quantaty at any given time. I am not sure I would want to throw it on a cooking fire but a fireplace should be fine if there isn't a great amount of it.

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 4:17 PM
I wouldn't cook over it, but it's just emulsified wax.

John Abt
05-08-2006, 6:21 PM
I understand that it's emulsified wax, but my concern lies mainly with deposits it may leave in the chimney that may lead to a chimney fire. With a flashpoint of 400 degrees, I'm not sure if it completely burns off or if it leaves deposits.

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 6:23 PM
The folks at UC Coatings can probably let you know about the safety of buring the ends with Anchorseal on them.

Pat Salter
05-08-2006, 8:51 PM
The folks at UC Coatings can probably let you know about the safety of buring the ends with Anchorseal on them.
And when you get an answer, please let us know.

John Hart
05-09-2006, 6:46 AM
Over the winter, I burned a bunch of cracked turning blanks in the fireplace. It did leave the black residue and the smell wasn't too wonderful. No catastrophes though.

Frank Fusco
05-09-2006, 9:28 AM
Anchorseal is just parafin in a water solution. Don't ask me how they do that. Should not be a problem to burn as long as you don't do too much at a time.