PDA

View Full Version : Roundin third...headin home

Steve Ash
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
To coin a phrase from Pete Jordan's signature line....

My lumber delivery was late today so I made the last piece up for the Oliver 159. I duct taped the front of the cover and "mocked" in my switches since this will be a while. I'll need to grind, prime and paint chrome to match the motor.....Olly's headin for home!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1866.jpg

Keith Burns
05-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Aw, man...............HURRY UP !:)

Pete Jordan
05-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I got it from some radio announcer.

It looks great!

tod evans
05-08-2006, 1:22 PM
along the same lines as petes signiture, from john fogerty;" i know it`s true `cause i heard it on the t.v."

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 1:26 PM
Just remember, in that position, you have to reach over the workpiece to operate the controls...one of the reasons I like my controls on a movable cord with a magnetic "sticker" on the back. It can be placed wherever it is comfortable and "safety" appropriate for the turning in-progress. The "controls on a stalk" was the one and only thing (outside of the limited swing) I didn't like about the OneWay 1018 I used to own...

Steve Clardy
05-08-2006, 1:28 PM
Lookin good Steve!!

Corey Hallagan
05-08-2006, 1:29 PM
Awesome, that is great. I love the tach!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2006, 1:32 PM
Hey Steve glad to see you are finally on the way home. Great job.

Mark Cothren
05-08-2006, 1:56 PM
VERY impressive, Steve! Great work!

Steve Ash
05-08-2006, 2:25 PM
Just remember, in that position, you have to reach over the workpiece to operate the controls...

Jim, I can see from the camera angle what you are saying, but it actually comes up just behind the motor. Reaching up with my left hand I am safely away from the turning.

John Hart
05-08-2006, 3:31 PM
I got it from some radio announcer.

It looks great!

That would be Ken (KC) Coleman.

In this case Steve...I'd say you're stealing home!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2006, 3:43 PM
Steve........You are hot! Great work!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-08-2006, 3:45 PM
So what it the redline on that baby :D

Looking good!

Andy Hoyt
05-08-2006, 4:15 PM
Ichiban!

Yup.

Ichiban!

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 4:16 PM
Jim, I can see from the camera angle what you are saying, but it actually comes up just behind the motor. Reaching up with my left hand I am safely away from the turning.

'Depends on where you are standing... ;) Do consider the remote, even if it's an addition to your normal switch setup. Once you have one, you'll never understand why you didn't have it before.

Andy Hoyt
05-08-2006, 5:12 PM
Steve - Well, here's a knucklehead hurler tossing you a curve ball.

On my old machine (same model as Jim's old one) I got very used to and comfortable with the switch in a fixed position. It was well aft of the spindle and considerably higher than the largest possible chunk that could be mounted, so safely reaching for the controls became second nature. I liked the security derived from always knowing exactly where that switch was.

On my new machine, the controls are located on a swinging arm that (even after seven or eight months of use) I'm still getting used to. The swinging feature is very handy but does tend to get in my way sometimes.

I also have a remote, and this thing is the cat's pajamas. If you ever decide to turn outboard on the Oliver or get into hollow forms you'll find it most desireable.

So, perhaps your son could rig you up with both.