PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Mark Cothren
05-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Dennis is swamped with work (finishing up a week of oncall) and asked me to get this thread started...

I was busy with church activities, but managed to get a laser arm rigged up on my hollowing setup (with Dennis' help). Got to test-drive it last night. Needs a little tuning, but it works good!

Also making ready to start building a cradle for my new grandbaby who will show up for a handshake and a howdy sometime early in November...:D

So what did you folks get done this weekend?

Steve Clardy
05-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Worked on a set of cabinets saturday.
Sunday spent some time rearranging my sander, 20" bandsaw, 3hp shaper, jointer, to get some more room around my tablesaw.
I'll find out how I did today. Hopefully everything will work where its at.
Only had to rewire one plug, so I lucked out there.

Don Baer
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
finished preping hous eto put on the market. I did get into the shop long enough to turn a little confetti lamp. Picture posted on the truners forum.

David Duke
05-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Finished up the WWing portion of my clock project, all I like now is mounting hardware and finishing. Yesterday we went and spent some time with my mom and got a few things done for her.

Mark, I think I detected a stealth gloat on the upcoming grandchild :), contratulations!!

Tim Solley
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Finished up the WWing on an ottoman/blanket chest for my soon-to-be-born son's room. It's so mom can put her feet up while breast feeding the little guy. I got to use my new HVLP sprayer for the first time to apply the stain to the project. I used the Behlen Solar Lux dye. On my last project, I tried to rag it on and it was a disaster, but spraying it is an absolute delight! Followed up with a coat of BLO. Tonight and for the next two nights I'll shoot a coat of Waterlox and be done with the finishing. Then I have to upholster the top and attach with a piano hinge.

Tim

Art Mulder
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
not exactly fine woodoworking, but it scores points with my wife, which is always good: Saturday evening I built a fairly simple bike rack for the garage out of 2x4's.

Lay two 2x4's down, about 69" long. Space them about 17" apart (outside measurement). Bevel the top/front edge of the front 2x4. The bike wheels have to mount this. Cut it back about 1".

Next, cut ten 2x4 pieces down into 16" lengths. Knock the front corner off of each 2x4. In pairs, these now go on top of the bottom 2x4's to hold the bike wheels. Stand them on on edge, space them so there are 16" centers between bikes. Leave a 2" gap between each pair of boards for the fat tires of little bikes and scooters. A 1-3/4" gap works for the thinner tires of older kid's bikes. Nail em down. I also ran a 1x3 along the back, nailed into the vertical bits, to help hold everything square. This gives spots to park five bikes.

This is the bit where I get berated for not posting a photo.

Also worked a bit more on a bookcase for the kids, and helped my wife clean out the garage, had my F-I-Law over, and so on.

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Beautiful weather. Busy weekend...as usual. No woodworking time, unfortunately...again. (I did receive the figured maple billets on Friday for the Shaker style candle stand project and hope to get back on that "soon") The girls' school had a "fair" on Saturday, so we spent a couple hours hanging out there. It was actually a relatively nice time. The rest of the day involved mowing the lawn and some gardening work near the pond.

Sunday was equally busy. Alesya had a birthday party to go to, so there was the associated schlepping to and from. Same with Nastia and her swimming lesson and a quick visit to the 'depot for a return and to buy a keyed lockset for the closet on the upper level of my shop building...we really need to move the "secrets" out of my cyclone closet! Late in the day, Robert Tarr and his lovely brought their tiller attachment down to the house for me to use to ease the work of preparing an area for the play gym set we ordered last week and for him to borrow my post-hole digger. The tiller was just the ticket to strip off the grass...I had it done in about 15 minutes (after about 15 minutes mechanically adapting the tiller to my slightly larger tractor). A little more grading and a lot of wood chips and everything will be ready for the folks to install the set later in the month. (My tree work for the new driveway may actually happen this week, so there will be plenty of chips available with 15 trees coming down...) Here's how things stand now:

Kurt Aebi
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Been in the woods turkey hunting (or rather getting Busted by the turkeys, LOL!!!!)

Afternoons have been spent in the woodsop making more turkey calls. Made my first box call, check this thread fo rdetails: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36042

I also made a couple more "Pot" style calls. (1) for a raffle to benefit the son of a hunting forum member that recently died from a brain anurism (sp?) leaving behind a 9 year old son.. The money the raffle will generate (all 100%) will go into a trust fund for this boy. I couldn't just buy some tickets, but had to donate one of my calls for this worthy cause.

Here is the call I made for this benefit auction:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/403493.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/403494.jpg

And a glass call for my neighbor:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/403525.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/403526.jpg

Mowed the lawn for the second time and started slicing some of the logs I stored out behind the garage for bowl blanks.

Pretty busy weekend, all in all!

Chip Charnley
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Saturday got the first of 8 sections of pantry shelves glued, screwed and out of the clamps and partially sanded. They are MDF sides and hardwood shelving. Ultimately intended to be painted. Only 7 more to go. Got all the shelves glued and sanded for 5 of the 7 as well as the sides cut. Dadoes in on of the 5 remaining sets done. Hopefully screw and glue that in the next 48 hours.

Spent Sunday on my other vice, computer gaming and working in the yard.

Bob Noles
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I was able to achieve what I planned as of Friday in my previous post.

We dimantled the screen "outdoor living room" and pressure washed it down including all wicker furniture. Put fresh coats of paint on all the window trims and doors and put the whole thing back together again. About 15 hours of hard nasty work, but now it is like a new structure all over again. And yes.... I had to straighten the shop back out afterward also :p

Scott Coffelt
05-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Had a neighborhood garage sale on Friday and Saturday. Workon finishing up and installing doors on a cherry medicine cabinet. My brother and his wife are in Mexico, so we had their boys over for dinner Saturday and Sunday nights. Got the yard mowed in between rain storms.... when will the rain end I must ask.

On a sad note, found out Sunday that one of my immediate co-workers (we report to the same manager) was killed in a motorcycle accident Saturday. He was young and vibrant and had an infectious smile. Our work group is feeling a little shocked and sadden at this point.

Matt Meiser
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Scott, sorry to hear about your coworker. Also, wasn't it only about 2 years ago that your area had such a bad drought?

I spent the weekend playing on the computer. LOML had to go in to work on Saturday and my daughter spent the day with my MIL. We took my dad out to dinner for his birthday Saturday night.

Tyler Howell
05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Boat went in the water without a hitch, right on time. That is so rare with everyone wanting to splash early in the season. Ran her up to the marina with a cool spring breeze. Sails are on and running rigging in place.
Had a fun evening with my co conspirator on a Bar Crawl we're planning that involves the Mall of America and the Metro area Light Rail mass transit system. We worked out the fine details and caught MI 3. Lots of action.
Had to move furniture yesterday. floors are being sanded tomorrow.
On a scale of 10 it was definitely a 9.
:cool:

Bryan Somers
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Took a long weekend to work on some projects at the inlaws beach cottage. Headed down after taking final exam Thursday, to sand down prime and paint one of the bathroom walls. Had a local contractor remove a partition at the entry door and between the kitchen an living area, and frame in a small knee wall in its place. All I had to do was attach the bar top and trim it out right? Wrong!!!!
While Artie did a good job, I didnt ask how thick the wall was. I was expecting it to be 3 1/2" thick he made it 7" and my top was a little too small to cover the molding. I guess I'll consider this a practice run.
Might have gotten the last coat of paint on the bath walls if I had not taken that short little feeshin break :D.

Steve Ash
05-08-2006, 12:51 PM
These pictures pretty much sums it up for me...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36018

Dick Bringhurst
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Got another box finished. Wood is Bocote and Maple. The stripe around the middle is bookmatched an is continuous all the way around. The hinges were mad using Incra's hinge jig. The finish is Deft. Dick B.

Karl Laustrup
05-08-2006, 1:56 PM
The weekend was taken up by grand daugter Tama's 12th B-Day. We had some of her school friends over plus neices and aunts and uncles etc. I lost track of how many people, but the new deck got a workout. For most of the day our oldest son and me were the only non females in the bunch.

BBQ'ed Texas style beef ribs and some hot dogs and sausages. Nobody went home hungry. This ended up being a two day celebration. I'm beat. Thank goodness we dont' do that again for another year. At least we had good weather for a change. It seems like her B-Day is cold/rainy/windy or whatever to cause us to have it inside.

Karl

Grant Davis
05-08-2006, 2:09 PM
Installed the arbor that I built last weekend in a memorial garden at the school where my wife teaches.

Jerry Strojny
05-08-2006, 2:43 PM
Busy busy was the theme for me. I cut the grass (allergies stink, really). Then I tackled a plumbing issue I've been trying to avoid for at least a week. Our hose bibb broke last winter when I went to take the hose off it. So now that we have reseeded the bare patches in the yard (had a garage built last fall) we need to water those patches. Well I bought the new copper pipes and fittings and decided to do the fix myself. I cut out the old galvanized pipe back to the interior valve with a winterizing drain and went at it. Put a new ball valve with drain, and did my first sweated copper joints. NO LEAKS!! turned out pretty good I think. One of the joints looks weird but if it doesn't leak, I'm not replacing it.
Then I got started on a nursery room project. LOML wants some shelves in the closet. And then I started on a plans for a changing table topper for SIL baby. It's going to be busy baby fall in the family. SIL baby is due mid August...ours is due Oct 1.:D I have about 4 more projects to do for the nursery...I need to get busy!

Tim Quigley
05-08-2006, 2:54 PM
It took since just after the holidays, but I put the finishing touches on my entertainment center this past weekend. Finished the woodworking and finishing a few weeks ago but finally got the class in on Saturday. Got a great recomendation from a local glass store to use a sligtly tinted glass with the cherry wood. Came out nice and much less than the cost of the piece in the store I borrowed the design from. Have a look.

Original:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/tjq100/orig.jpg

Mine:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/tjq100/dscf0053.jpg

Lars Thomas
05-08-2006, 3:09 PM
I worked on building a hand plane to match some of the other hand tools I've recently made that can be seen here . . http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35280&highlight=cocobolo

George Bledsoe
05-08-2006, 3:37 PM
Went out to the lumber store to get some walnut and red oak.
Need to cut about 2000 bd feet of walnut and red oak, so I have my work cut for me.

Mark Patoka
05-08-2006, 3:58 PM
Spent Saturday morning getting the house scrubbed and cleaned for a wedding shower we were hosting for one of my wife's coworkers. Spent the afternoon relegated to the shop since the house was full of women. :) Changed out my jointer knives, stained and put finish coats on some of my sale items. Once the party was over we made the 6 hour round trip to pick up my oldest son from college for the summer. Spent most of Sunday in church and meetings afterwards.

Chip Olson
05-08-2006, 4:25 PM
I completed my drying rack (that is, set it up and braced it with a couple of scrap lengths of plywood), built a spray booth (cut one side out of a tall U-Haul wardrobe box, laid it across a door on sawhorses and cut a hole for a vent fan in one end), and sprayed a first coat on almost all of the panels for my cabinets. Took a bit to get the hang of the sprayer and get it adjusted right, but they seem to have come out OK. I'll need to be better about overlapping strokes on the next coat, some of them came out kind of stripey. Did all 30-some panels in an hour and a half, except two where I'd just run out of finish in the sprayer and the spouse and kidlet were due home.

Discovered I'd miscalculated when building the drying rack and didn't have enough slots in it (forgot about the back panels), and there were two that were too big for it, but I managed to find space in the shop to lay out the extras.

I considered taking pictures of the drying rack, which is made of offcut from a couple of solid-core doors (that I had ripped down to narrower widths) and random scrap wood, and posting them along with gotesque flowery prose about fine craftmanship and the love of the wood etc. etc. but didn't quite find time to drum up the necessary creativity. It's possibly the ugliest thing I have ever built, and that's really saying quite a bit.

glenn bradley
05-08-2006, 4:32 PM
Finished the main support shelves for an Ent Cntr built for a friend. Thicknessed the material for a pirate's chest bread box (a friend's wife is into Jimmy Buffet and the whole pirate thing) that will be a b-day present next month. Failed to mow the lawn . . . Whoo-Ya!

Tim Clark
05-08-2006, 4:56 PM
Got the shop cabinet finished and installed the top today (needed corner brackets)

Got the TS reset with a 4" run all the way out to the DC (pulls saw dust great now). It was reduced to 1.5" before to use the S-V. Reinstalled the outfeed atble a better way as well to make it easier to get into the back of the TS.

Completely rearranged the shop to the way it will be when the new G1023SLX gets ordered. I like the layout much better.

Skipped the yardwork till today.

Started on the blanket chest for my daughter's B-day. Gonna be a little late as it's today.

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 5:38 PM
I replaced about 120 feet of redwood "bender board" lawn edging with the 25-year guaranteed plastic stuff, and moved a bunch o' junk into offsite storage. My back is complaining about it today.

Also did several "one step forward, two steps back" routines on an arbor I'm building, but by last night things were shaping up nicely. I need to turn a few rosettes on the lathe to cover up some oof my mistakes, but it's shop time, so who am I to complain?

Well done to all of you who posted completed project pics. :) They look great.

- Vaughn

Jeff Horton
05-08-2006, 5:49 PM
Put got this back together! All but finished!

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/after2.jpg

Turned a little bit that afternoon while waiting on the paint on the switch enclosure to dry so I could finish it up.

Sunday afternoon I litterly shoveled out my shop. Two garbage cans of wood chips at the lathe alone. Ceilings were starting to get a bit low. ;) Lots of black dust from all the sanding in on the DeWalt. Took just over 2 hours to clean the floors and do a tad of putting up tools.

Sawed some blanks for the lathe and started to day dream about what I my next project is going to be VS. what I want it to be. :)

Mark Pruitt
05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
No shop time for me. I'm in Atlanta where I've been attending the annual conference of the Association of Professional Chaplains. But, I did take the afternoon today and visited Highland Hardware, a very neat store and a great source for tools, supplies, and information, not to mention some just plain nice folks. Having a great time; anticipate more sawdust next weekend!

Scott, I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's death. Thinking of you and his family.

Eric Shields
05-09-2006, 5:43 AM
I know its a little "late" for a report, but had problems getting into the Creek yesterday. Of course this is one of the few weekends I've had something to report in the "accomplishments" thread. :)

Got to spend my weekend (all of it minus mowing the yard) working on my shop rennovation. To start I constructed a temporary (read very ugly but functional) miter station. Then proceeded to frame in two walls (total of about 70 ft) of my basement shop, including two windows. Though I realize it's not fine woodworking, its progress. Now its time to save some more pennies for more framing material. The save, spend, then construct method works, but boy is it SLOW.

Eric