PDA

View Full Version : Combination Squares

Dennis Hunt
05-08-2006, 4:53 AM
I am in the market for a "good" quality combination set. I have been looking at Starrett, Moore & Wright and Mitutoyo sets which are generally available in Australia.
I would be interested in members' views on each of these manufacturers, particularly any problems experienced.
An early review by fine woodworking said that the Mitutoyo blade came loose during use! Is this the experience of members who have the Mitutoyo combination set?
This is going to be an expensive purchase so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

Jim Davenport
05-08-2006, 5:05 AM
I have a Mitutoyo set, that I bought used in a "pawnshop" many years ago. It has the combo head, center head, and protractor head. I also bought a 24" blade for it. Over the years, I've never had a problem with the set. The quality seems to be every bit as good as Starrett.

Roger Everett
05-08-2006, 6:34 AM
I have a Mitutoyo 12" combination square , and no problems with it, a good tool. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, buying good quality tools is always a good investment.
Roger

Gary Keedwell
05-08-2006, 6:42 AM
In my other life I was a machinist and an inspector, and I can tell you for certain that the Starrett is indeed accurate. He is also the one who invented the adjustable square.

Gary K.

tod evans
05-08-2006, 6:43 AM
dennis, starrett or brown & sharpe are the two brands i trust for quality lay out tools.

Larry Norton
05-08-2006, 6:58 AM
Dennis, I have gotten 2 12inch, 1 6inch and 1 4in Starrett squares on ebay. I don't think I paid more than $75 total for them. The only reason I have 2 12in. is because the first one was "stained" and a tad bit harder to read.

I also got a brand new still in the box Starrett center finder from ebay for less than $20.

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 7:45 AM
I have Starrett and have been very pleased. I have both the larger 12" combo and the 6" 90 degree. Both are accurate and easy to read. (I lucked out and got them used at a used tool store a number of years ago..$60 US for all)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-08-2006, 7:52 AM
Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown and Sharpe are going the be the leading players. All are on a par with each other.
Fukuoka and SPI are fairly good also.

scott spencer
05-08-2006, 8:04 AM
Hi Dennis - I can't comment on the 3 you've listed, but I do have a Fowler set that I'm really pleased with.

Kyle Kraft
05-08-2006, 8:13 AM
Stick with a reputable manufacturer and away from the "Quality Import" stuff.

Larry Fox
05-08-2006, 8:18 AM
I have a 12" Starrett and have been very pleased with it.

Charles McKinley
05-08-2006, 9:08 AM
Welcome Dennis!

The names you listed will all do you well. Do you know of a local machine shop? They may be able to tell you where you can buy used tools at a reasonable price. Also for machine set up you can use the plastic triangels used for drafting. A good art supply store should be able to get you 3 or four different sizes for under $10 US.

Bart Leetch
05-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I have one of these dial protractors. Grizzly G9900. No my combination square isn't Starrett or another brand listed. But I can check my combination, center, protractor & framing squares to make sure that they are accurate.

So after a FINE measuring tool has dropped on the floor or met with some other hazardous duty how many of you have a way to make sure its still fine hmmmm?

I have some odd ball brands & Stanley & they all work just fine for wood working seeing as how the wood isn't perfect anyway.

I also have a set of 4 machinist squares which I use most of the time. They also work great for machine set up & double checking machine set up. Sometimes I forget so I have to double check. I just know non of you ever do this.:eek: :D

Howard Acheson
05-08-2006, 1:05 PM
Here is something that might be helpfull. It's sort of coming at the issue from a different direction.

No matter how much you spend for a device, you still don't know if it is square. I ran a large tool and die shop and we purchased a number of Brown & Sharp and Starrett devices and some of them where not "square". We had "standards" that our quality department periodically had validated by an outside service that we then used to verify the worker's tools.

One day, one of our designers brought in two plastic drawing triangles he had purchased at a local art supply store. He had them compared to our standards and they were as accurate as the tools could measure. The triangle cost a couple of dollars each. They would certainly serve very well as the "standard" in any woodworking shop to validate and/or adjust other devices.

An excellent way to validate the accuracy of the plastic squares is to use two squares on a flat surface. Get a $10-12 plastic 30-60-90 drafting square. To prove it's exactly 90°, take two to a glass counter, put the shorter legs on the counter and face the longer legs away from each other and butt them together (like a teepee). If the legs exactly butt, you can assume you have two perfect 90° angles. Using one of the plastic squares, do the same thing using your other tools. Any that mismatch, means that the tool is not square. You can also take the plastic square with you whenever you go to purchase another tool. Keep your "standard" somewhere where it doesn't get banged up.

Finally, remember that the wood you are using will expand and contract a couple of thousands from one day to the other. Does't pay to get too uptight.

While we are at it, I also only purchase the cheapest of adjustable squares. I square them with a drafting triangle and an auger file until they are square across 10". And I own a Bridge City square that isn't that accurate. Stainless steel machinist's squares are only square until you drop them. I have had several over the years and each has found a away to drop to the floor.

The key is to NEVER use your best square on for day to day measuring. Use it only as a reference tool to verify your other day to day tools.

So, what to purchase. In the past couple of years, FWW did a review of combination squares. While Starrett was the winner, the Stanley #46-123 was just as accurate and a close second. This can be purchased for between $13 - $15. For woodworking purposes is it every bit as good as the Starrett and not nearly as traumatic when you drop it.