PDA

View Full Version : Mirka Abranet Mesh Sanding Disks

John Poole
05-08-2006, 2:19 AM
Anyone using Mirka's Abranet Mesh Sanding Disks, and if so, what electric sander are you using it for? I had tried the air-powered sanders that Mirka offers, their 3" was perfect for the small areas I like to sand, but I do not have access to 220 v to power the requisite air compressor needed to power these air-driven puppies.

So, I'm looking into the alternatives for electric sanders. Mike Wells, a Mirka dealer at http://www.toplinespecialties.com, recommended the Festool using the 906GV pad protectors on a Festool.

I've seen a posting on rec.woodworking suggesting modifying a Rigid/Metabo sander with a Mirka part 906GV which has the 18 holes in a hook and loop pad.

My top priority is to minimize dust escape since I live in an apartment and I have to work in a car bay in an apartment building and don't want nearby vehicles to be annointed with evidence of my woodworking endeavours. I've seen a posting from someone who tried Abranet and complained that the hook/loop material became worn after a couple of sheets (hence Well's recommendation of the pad protectors which I gather is just a reverse set of hook/loop material that isolates the abrasion of the mesh from the unit's permanent hook/loop face, basically a sacrificial hook/loop interface).

I'm interested in the Fein Multimaster vs. Festool DX 93E (Triangular head) in addition to the 5" and 6" units, probably going with the Festool RO 125. I suspect there are not a lot of people using Abranet, so I'd welcome any comments on experience using this product.