PDA

View Full Version : Recent Box Project Completed

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 2:03 AM
Sorry, but I feel compelled to remove the text and pics in this post. I cannot publicly explain my reasons for doing so, but if you would like more information about the project or the reasons why it was removed, I can be contacted at SMC -at- tg3k.com.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-08-2006, 2:17 AM
Very, very nice!

I'm sure the happy couple will be pleased!

Ever think of trying Shellac?

Great idea on the bottom top thing!

You do nice work! :D

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 2:27 AM
...Ever think of trying Shellac?...
So far, my experiences with shellac make lacquer seem like a walk in the park. I can mess up a shellac finish faster than you can spell DNA. ;) I'll keep trying shellac, but it'll be limited to shop fixtures and jigs until I can get the hang of it.

Thanks for the compliments, though. :)

- Vaughn

Larry Cooke
05-08-2006, 3:01 AM
Vaughn,

Those are nice boxes, very well done. I can't help but to keep looking at the dovetail keys you did. How do you do those? A jig?

Thanks for the tip on the top/bottom too. That's a great idea.

Larry

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-08-2006, 3:27 AM
So far, my experiences with shellac make lacquer seem like a walk in the park. I can mess up a shellac finish faster than you can spell DNA. ;) I'll keep trying shellac, but it'll be limited to shop fixtures and jigs until I can get the hang of it.

Thanks for the compliments, though. :)

- Vaughn

OK, how do you screw up Shellac, if you don't like it, just take some DNA and rub it some more...? :confused:

But then again, I'm only learning this whole finishing thing too....

Cheers!

PS compliments well deserved!

Dan Forman
05-08-2006, 3:51 AM
Those boxes are lovely, I'm sure that your kind attention and intention will rub off on their new owners and bring some good karma to the big event.

Dan

Karl Laustrup
05-08-2006, 5:24 AM
Really nice boxes Vaughn. Great idea on making the lids. Now if I can just remember that when I have something similar. :o

Karl

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 5:26 AM
...I can't help but to keep looking at the dovetail keys you did. How do you do those? A jig? ... Larry, I got the idea for the dovetail key jig from a recent magazine...either Wood or Fine Woodworking -- I can't find it handy to confirm which issue. It was a simple thing made with BB ply (2 layers for the sole plate of the jig). The jig runs along the router table fence, with the box sitting in the dual 45° 'V' notch. Here are a couple rough (not to scale) sketches that should give you the basic idea:

38073 38072

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Tony Ward
05-08-2006, 5:32 AM
Vaughn

Nice looking boxes.

Ever thought of using Tung oil (with a blend of citrus oil) and then finishing with 1500 wet and dry?

Tony Ward

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 7:48 AM
You have some very nice curl on those tops, Vaughn. I like these boxes. Very attractive! Thanks for sharing the technique, too.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2006, 7:54 AM
Vaughn.......Nice boxes! Ingenious idea about the lid and bottom! Kind of like turning the top and bottom of a box and then parting them before hollowing.

Lee DeRaud
05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Very nice!

I'm still not happy with the finish on the tops (the flaws are well hidden in the pics), and I'll eventually re-do them. Applying wood finishes is definitely one of my Achille's heels. :rolleyes:Well, you've got the lathe now, time to buy the Beall buffing system (or its SoCal clone from Wood'nThings): works just as well on flat stuff as on turnings.

Steve Clardy
05-08-2006, 1:18 PM
Nice looking!!!

Mike Zozakiewicz
05-08-2006, 1:53 PM
Great looking boxes Vaughn! Love the tops.

Mike

Jerry Strojny
05-08-2006, 2:07 PM
Great little boxes. Love the idea for the tops and bottom. I need to start thinking more like that on the projects I do. hmmm...
I'm right with you on the finishes...I'm rarely happy with how things turn out. Maybe I should stop trying something different each time.
Love the dovetails....nice touch.:)

(jigs...I need more jigs....and tools....and money.....)

Wes Bischel
05-08-2006, 2:22 PM
Great boxes Vaughn! You did justice to the wood with the detailing as well. I would say the technique is a new one on me - I like it! Anything I can do up front that gives me a bit of confidence that things will fit together in the end is great. Nothing worse than getting to the lid fitting and finding it too small.:rolleyes: (don't ask). Thanks for passing along the lid/bottom and dovetail techniques!

Wes

Corey Hallagan
05-08-2006, 2:31 PM
Those are fantastic Vaughn! Very beautiful and will be a very handsome wedding gift. Excellent workmanship!

Corey

Roy Wall
05-08-2006, 3:20 PM
Vaughn -

The boxes look neat!! Cute little dudes........are they 3x3?

And a smart idea for the tops/bottoms too! I would have never thought of it!!!:confused:

Thanks for the info!!

Larry Cooke
05-08-2006, 5:04 PM
Here are a couple rough (not to scale) sketches that should give you the basic idea:

Perfect Vaughn, mentally noted logged and hopefully not forgotten! :)

Larry