PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight compressor

Chris Johnson
05-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I need a very portable air compressor to use mainly with an 18 guage brad nailer. I am looking at the harbor freight ones, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38898
such as this one. has anyone had any experience with this one or something similar. I want to keep the price under 100. Also what about the small grizzly. it costs a little more but has a better name on it.

Chris

Larry Cooke
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Chris,

I have the exact same compressor and it has been very good to me. I've had it for three years now and it keeps on going. I initially bought for use with my RC hobby, my son and I used to race cars. When I bought it I bought I bought it knowing full well that it wouldn't last that long but for $89.00 on sale it wasn't too bad of a deal. Little did I know it would have lasted so long.

One comment, this is one noisy compressor but then the oiless types usually are. I think you'll be happy with it for nailing and blowing air.

Larry

Andy Howard
05-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I think this is a better unit for not much more.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90385

Its on sale on the web right now for 99 bucks. Just print the webpage out when you go to the store and the will match the price.

Andy

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 2:23 AM
Several years ago I went through two or three HF compressors in about a month (IIRC. a couple were Campbell-Hausfeld models, and the third was the one pictured in Andy's link). In each case, the compressors failed within a week (or never worked in the first place). Fortunately, HF was real pleasant about taking them back and either giving me credit towards the next one, or in the end, refunding my money. Coincidentally, they were purchased to blow off my RC truck, much like Larry's use. I ended up buying one at my local Kragen Auto Parts store that is similar to the one Andy pointed to and it's run like a champ for the past 6 or 7 years.

That said, if you're looking for a sub-$100 compressor, you could try the HF model, and if it lasts the first couple of weeks, then perhaps you'll have the same success wth it as Larry has had with his. If it dies shortly after purchase, you can always take it back to HF. (That's assuming HF is nearby and not a hassle to drive to. I don't think I'd want to pay return shipping on a compressor.) ;)

That's just my opinion, so it should be taken with a big ol' hunk of salt.

- Vaughn

scott spencer
05-08-2006, 4:31 AM
I don't know about the compressor in your link Chris, but I've had a smaller one for several weeks and have been pleased with it. It's quiet, small, capable, and inexpensive.

Dan Bundy
05-08-2006, 6:32 AM
I've had that one for a few years. Mostly running a brad nailer on an irregular basis, occasionally inflating a tire or a ball. So far, so good. DB

Matt Meiser
05-08-2006, 7:26 AM
I've got one of the twin tank models that they put on sale for $90 on a regular basis. It is an oil-filled model and has worked great as a second compressor for in the garage, portable use, etc.

Jim Becker
05-08-2006, 7:43 AM
I bought a little red Husky at HD for this purpose...$89.

Kent Fitzgerald
05-08-2006, 9:19 AM
I've got one of the twin tank models that they put on sale for $90 on a regular basis. It is an oil-filled model and has worked great as a second compressor for in the garage, portable use, etc.
I'm also happy with the twin tank. It's oil lubed and has a low RPM motor, which makes it much quieter than my Porter Cable pancake compressor. The only problem I've had is that the base of the pump was a bit loose in its mounting bracket, allowing some rattling. I fixed it this weekend with a couple of washers.

Kent Fitzgerald
05-08-2006, 1:01 PM
OK, this is getting off the topic of compressors, but I came across a cute bit of Harbor Freight trivia. The poorly written instructions that come with many products have often made me wonder, "how hard would it be for someone to proofread these?" Well, here's evidence that HF does actually edit at least some of their product literature. Note the strikethroughs and corrections in this work-in-progress: http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/92000-92999/92122.pdf

Randy Meijer
05-09-2006, 4:12 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42321

This is the one that Brad and Kent are talking about. I've seen it on sale for $99 at the local store which is a great deal as you save the shipping. The low speed moter should be quiet(relatively speaking) and the LS motor should help with durability. I have one just like it but with the HS motor and has worked just fine for over a year in occasional duty mode. Don't know how it would hold up under every day use.

As to "easy" portability, that is in the eyes of the beholder. This unit is not light; but is more compact that the one you have pictured. If you have a bad back, the won with wheels might be a better choice.

P.S. If you haven't already done so and have a HF store closeby, get on the mailing list. On a regulat basis, they email 20% off coupons which makes for a nice savings on bigger items. Sign up at both sites as they are semi-independent of each other; but do remember that the retail stores will honor the online sales if you print a copy of the ad. I have heard stories of coupons being used on top of a online sale for a terrific discount!!!

Online site: www.harborfreightusa.com (http://www.harborfreightusa.com)
Retail web site: www.harborfrieght.com (http://www.harborfrieght.com)

Note: I thought I had a vague memory. I have a store flyer in hand right now and that compressor is on sale for $89 and there is a coupon in the flyer for an additionan 20% off which would come to $71 if my math is correct. Heck of a deal.

Don't know if that deal is available at a store near you; but it would be worth checking. My flyer is for stores in Texas. If you are in Texas and want the flyer, I could mail it to you or to anyone else who is interested. Sale is good thru 5-15. 15th is next Monday. Email me if interested...I only visit here about once a day; but keep a close eye on my email. Randy

Randy Meijer
05-09-2006, 4:17 PM
I don't know about the compressor in your link Chris, but I've had a smaller one for several weeks and have been pleased with it. It's quiet, small, capable, and inexpensive.

I had the one like that which was sold under the Coleman brand. It had a universal motor and burned out the non-replaceable brushes in abouit a years time. I consider that unit to be of very limited value. I paid $59 for mine and would have been a lot better off spending the extra $40 and getting one of the bigger units.

Vaughn McMillan
05-09-2006, 4:21 PM
OK, this is getting off the topic of compressors, but I came across a cute bit of Harbor Freight trivia. The poorly written instructions that come with many products have often made me wonder, "how hard would it be for someone to proofread these?" Well, here's evidence that HF does actually edit at least some of their product literature. Note the strikethroughs and corrections in this work-in-progress: http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/92000-92999/92122.pdf
That's an interesting link indeed. The fact that the document was edited is good. The fact that the editing wasn't finalized before going public is not good, and it's sort of an indication of HF's quality control. (Now of course, none of my errors have ever been published. :rolleyes: Yeah, right. You wanna buy a bridge? :D )

We now return to your regularly-scheduled compressor thread...

- Vaughn