PDA

View Full Version : Ordering lumber online?

Al Willits
05-07-2006, 10:04 PM
New to forum, and hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

I did a search for Internet Lumber and didn't see anything.

I'm just starting in woodworking and I have seen a place called Internet Lumber and wondering if anybodies had any exprience with them.
I am looking for Jatoba and Bubinga for futher projects and they seem to be reasonable in price.

Also wondering if there's a appox Board foot needed for most basic projects, like most 4 drawer cabinets take appox 25bf of lumber ??

I live in Minnesota and the wife and I go vist lumberyards trying to see all the different types of lumber and prices, and it'd be nice to find a deal on lumber, and know appox how much I'd need for some of basic projects.

I'm also new to wood working and am enjoying to forum, thanks for all the info that's posted here.

Al

tod evans
05-08-2006, 7:28 AM
al, welcome to smc! i`d strongly suggest fostering a relationship with a local lumber supplier instead of doing business on the "net". lumber by its very nature is usually cost prohibitive to ship in small quantities and when buying off the "net" you never get to see the wood before you buy.. as for saying "you`ll be able to build x cabinet out of y boards" i`ll not comment:) ......02 tod

Bruce Page
05-08-2006, 8:35 AM
Al, I’ve had good experiences with Steve Wall lumber.
http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Ed Breen
05-08-2006, 1:33 PM
Al,
I've used Wall lumber for about three years and hd no problems so far.

Hey Tod, I've also heard that at times the big lumber folks in Harrisburg sell of the shipments they won't accept and the saw mill won't take back for pennies.
Any truth to it??
Ed

tod evans
05-08-2006, 1:45 PM
Al,
I've used Wall lumber for about three years and hd no problems so far.

Hey Tod, I've also heard that at times the big lumber folks in Harrisburg sell of the shipments they won't accept and the saw mill won't take back for pennies.
Any truth to it??
Ed

ed, it`s hit-n-miss as to whether or not it`s worth your time......if you`re talking about nor-pac? i`ve driven over there on the premis of 1.50 cherry only to find the kiln operator had screwed up and it was checked and case hardened.......if you`ve got the time to chase-n-pick you can find a deal sometimes though..
there`s a wholesaler gone bankrupt in texas san antonio and arlington auction dates 9-10 & 12th this week, 2.5 mil of inventory the auctioneers phone # is 877-POSNIK toll free if you`re lookin` for cheap lumber? .02 tod

Scott Loven
05-08-2006, 2:25 PM
Found them (Internet lumber) at the top of the heap on google
This is where I get my wood from.
http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/generic87.html
They are straight south of Rochester MN just across the Iowa boarder and are great people to deal with.
Scott

Al Willits
05-08-2006, 9:48 PM
Thanks guys, I am planning on hitting the local lumber yards (thanks for sites btw) for most of my wood, but the wife wants a dresser and table out of Jatoba and Bubinga, personally I like the wood also, but locally its almost $4 a bf more fpr the Bubinga and a couple bucks for the Jatoba.
Which may mean with shipping it will probably still be a bit cheaper, still looking into it though.
She just added Paduk (sp) end tables....this is what happens when you justify buying a lot of wood tools, by telling them its for them...:)

Locally I'm looking for a basic started stock of red or white oak and cherry, and whatever else looks good..

Still new enough to not know what I really want, kid in a candy store kinda deal..:)

Thanks for the help, I work in HV/AC for Centerpointenergy if I can help anyone..

Al