PDA

View Full Version : Router Recommendations

Rob Wilson
05-07-2006, 7:15 PM
I currently have a PC 690 that I plan to install in a router table with a separate variable speed control.

Now considering 3 different options for a second router to use "free-hand"

The Makita 2.25 hp kit with fixed and plunge base for ~$150, the Bosch 2.25 hp kit with fixed and plunge base reconditioned for ~$180 or the Freud 3.25 hp plunge only for ~$188. All have electronic speed control.

This started off as a simple choice of the Makita at the dollar point I was comfortable with. And then ... I did more...and more... looking.

Any help you can offer in spending my money :o would be appreciated.

Rob

Steve Clardy
05-07-2006, 7:23 PM
I've had real good service from my pc 690's and 7537's.
Why not get another 690? They are still available in the 1 3/4 hp
690LR I believe

Kelly Anderson
05-07-2006, 7:27 PM
I have the Makita and really like it. I use it in the table and free hand and have never had any problems.

Corey Hallagan
05-07-2006, 7:31 PM
Out of those I would get the Boxch. Alot of good routers out there. The best feeling router I have used hand held is the Dewal DW618. Nice router. Bosch is just as good of a router but doesn't have that low squatty feel to me the Dewalt does. Hope this helps.

corey

Curt Harms
05-07-2006, 7:33 PM
and getting a new table router. I'm more likely to use larger bits requiring variable speed (panel raiser, rail & stile, lock miter)in a router table than I am to use a large bits hand held. Just a thought.

Curt

Rob Wilson
05-07-2006, 7:37 PM
Curt,
I'd thought about that, going with the bigger hp router for the table and keeping the 690 for hand work. But I wanted the option of the plunge for the hand held.
Rob

Jerry Olexa
05-07-2006, 8:05 PM
I have 2 of those routers plus my Dad's old Craftsman. I keep the new Makita 90% perm mounted in my router table w variable speed, more hp. I use the PC 690 for freehand work and last week for the dovetailing of some drawers. Both my kits came 2 bases so the plunge aspect works on either. My next goal is a 3hp router for the bigger jobs, raised panels, etc. BTW I'm v pleased w the Makita for my purposes. HTH

Brad Townsend
05-07-2006, 8:08 PM
I have the DW618 that Corey mentions and I like it a lot. Realize this may be a little beyond your price point however. For a flat $200 brad new, you may want to look at the Ridgid 2 1/4 kit with fixed and plunge bases that just came out. The initial notices on it have been pretty favorable.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-07-2006, 8:22 PM
I have the Dewalt DW616. It's like the DW618 but without the softstart and electronic speed control. In fact, it uses the same body for the fixed and plunge bases. I purchased it as refurbished for around $140. Runs well. The plunge is very smooth and the built-in dust collection is nice but not always effective. I recommend either models.
-Jeff :)

JayStPeter
05-07-2006, 9:21 PM
I think all the kits are good, it just depends on what's important to you. I have the Bosch and like it (chose over the Makita and PC). If I was looking now, it would be between the Bosch and Dewalt.
The reasons I chose the Bosch are 1)Great fine depth adjustment on the fixed base. 2)Nice depth turret on the plunge base. 3)Very nice edge guide with fine adjust (the Makitas edge guide came with the kit but looked cheesy). 4)Smoothest plunge base of the bunch. Both the Bosch and Makita felt higher quality than the PC (690 at the time).
The down side of the Bosch is that you need an aftermarket base for template guides (or Bosch specific guides). I suggest Pat Warner. Get an offset base also. One cool feature of the Bosch is it does have a set of holes spaced and tapped equivalent to PC which makes it easy to use most aftermarket accessories.
I have looked at the Dewalt a bit. Plunge action doesn't feel quite as good. The fine depth adjustment seems better than the PC/Makita, but still not as good as the Bosch. It does come with Dust Collection fittings. Those can be had for the Bosch also. I don't know how the fittings attach to the Dewalt, but with the Bosch, the accessories attach with small knurled screws that don't tighten enough and are easy to lose (DAMHIKT). I've replaced the ones for the edge guide with some philips screws and use them with a screwdriver to ensure no slippage.
I paid $40 for the edge guide, $25 for the DC fittings, plus a couple Pat Warner bases. I have seen some deals where the edge guide or DC fittings are included in the kit price occasionally at Amazon. I'm not sure what the Dewalt kits can be gotten with, but I think their bases are already clear and support template guides. Be sure to factor accessory costs into the equation (and accessory quality). I don't think the variety of DC connection accessories are available for the Makita or PC as for the Bosch and Dewalt.

Jay

jonathan snyder
05-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Rob,

I have a PC690, last fall i bought the Bosch 2 1/4. I wanted plunge capability. I really like the Bosch, got it at Costco for $190, unfortunatly last month the variable speed switch went out. Tthe darn thing would not turn on. No authorized service in Anchorage, so I returned it to Costco. They gave me my money back and I got another at Lowes. I liked it enough to try another. I hope the switch does not go out on this one.

Jonathan

scott spencer
05-08-2006, 4:35 AM
The big Freud is bound to be a handful for freehand routing. I'd think your PC 690 would be ideal....have you considered putting something else in the table? I just mounted the Freud FT-1700 in my table a couple of weeks ago and I'm thoroughly happy about the above table features....everything has been great too.

Doyle Alley
05-08-2006, 7:47 AM
The big Freud is bound to be a handful for freehand routing.
I second this. I bought the big Freud thinking that it would be a good all around router. Yes, it is strong. But, it is not pleasant to use freehand. It is too top-heavy for edge work IMHO.