PDA

View Full Version : Oliver lathe restoration pics

Steve Ash
05-07-2006, 6:08 PM
In my last post about the Oliver 159 lathe I put some pictures of it with some pinstripes and chrome. My wife looked at the pictures and said "Hunny the lathe looks better than your pictures, I think you should take some better ones." Since I learned long ago not to argue with her since she is usually right, I thought I'd post some better pics plus an update of todays accomplishments.

This morning I took off the last of the masking tape and started permanently attaching the parts and pieces. Creeker and friend Larry Merlau stopped by to see what I've been up to and commented about how I'd really fell off the deep end......I told him I'd really like to take a chrome ratchet handle and use it for the variable speed indicator. He walked over to my 15" Delta planer and removed the chrome handle and it was a perfect fit. I guess I better get another replacement ordered.

I also painted the re-furbished motor in chrome and added some pinstripes to the tool rests. Also I had to customize the pulley guard with some chrome lettering. All that is left that I want to do is get the switches fixed to a permanent control box mounted behind the motor and when that is done it will be my final update and time to use this puppy! My son Steve Jr. will be in charge of wiring up the switches and control box but with him working 50 + hours each week I am at his mercy about getting that part finished.

I had a lot of fun with this restoration, it was quick, easy and very rewarding. I also felt like you all from Sawmill Creek were right there with me...sounds funny but I thought of each of your comments about my previous posts. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.

Pete Jordan
05-07-2006, 6:16 PM
You have got to be kidding!

That is unbelieveable! I can't wait to see it. You have out done yourself!

Pete

Corey Hallagan
05-07-2006, 7:02 PM
Ashman, that is just fantastic, I love it! It turned out just great Steve. Congrats and now it is time to enjoy it.

corey

Ken Fitzgerald
05-07-2006, 7:11 PM
Steve.........it's been a ball watching it from 2000 miles away! I can see why you put flames on it..........IT'S HOT!

John Miliunas
05-07-2006, 7:18 PM
Doooooooooood!!! Way cool! :D Heck, had I known how close that Olly Green was to Packer Green, I'd have exnayed the poll to begin with! (Now you just need to sneak in some Packer Yellow stripes or sumfin'!!! :D ) Great job, Steve. This was a blast and I wasn't even there for the fun parts!!! :) :cool:

Curt Fuller
05-07-2006, 7:34 PM
Fantastic!

Bob Noles
05-07-2006, 7:46 PM
Steve.....

You are a riot man :cool: That is one kewl lathe...... How about I send you mine for a face lift. :)

Christopher K. Hartley
05-07-2006, 7:54 PM
WOW, The BIG GREEN BEAST!!:D Cool!!

Keith Burns
05-07-2006, 8:10 PM
Great Job Steve !:) :) :) :)

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 8:55 PM
LOL! You really breathed some new life into that puppy, and I don't mean in the mechanical sense! (Mechanically, I'm sure it would have been wonderful even with a Krylon finish... ;) ) Nice job!

Steve Ash
05-07-2006, 8:55 PM
Thanks guys....One thing is for certain you are looking at it in it's best condition. I've learned a long time ago when restoring and showing my old Chevelle SS that any piece of machinery is meant to be used. I never trailered my Chevelle anywhere, I hated seeing those trailer queens show up at the shows......I drove it in rain, heavy traffic, dirt roads...I built it to drive it and have fun.

Same goes with this lathe, it IS going to get dirty, rusty, and used....and I wouldn't have it any other way....it's about time to get it dirty:D :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Steve that is one beautiful job. That lathe is awesome looking. Yep it is time to make some chips fly. Can't wait to see what ya turn on the puppy.

Bart Leetch
05-07-2006, 11:34 PM
You'll need to send all the wood to me. That lathe is to hot to put the wood on it would just burn it up. Fantastic I don't think I've ever seen such a hot lathe.

Ernie Nyvall
05-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Outstanding Steve.

Ernie

Barry Stratton
05-08-2006, 1:08 AM
Awesome job!!! That is GREAT!! Thanks for sharing the restore job, can't wait to see some GREEN wood spinning.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-08-2006, 2:21 AM
Man you really are a gearhead aren't ya :D

Fantastic job, but I, for one, expected no less, if you did it half arsed, I expect you would get it from everyone from your Dad to your youngest son :eek:

Cheers!

Now get it dirty will ya! :D:D

Karl Laustrup
05-08-2006, 5:38 AM
Fantastic work Steve. And in plenty of time.

How about the number 4 somewhere in gold? And isn't that green verrrrry similar to old JD green? Could be a JD in gold somewhere also.

Karl

John Hart
05-08-2006, 6:00 AM
....Same goes with this lathe, it IS going to get dirty, rusty, and used....and I wouldn't have it any other way....it's about time to get it dirty:D :cool:

Great attitude!!! Things like this were meant to be used. The beauty is, you have all these great pictures to look back on. Excellent job Steve. You should be proud.

Steve Ash
05-08-2006, 7:04 AM
but I, for one, expected no less, if you did it half arsed, I expect you would get it from everyone from your Dad to your youngest son

Stu, funny you mention this. My dad just called me less than 15 minutes ago to say that he had been over yesterday to see my progress and I was gone. I asked him what he thought....he said "it's what I've come to expect from you"....coming from my dad it is a huge compliment. :cool:

tod evans
05-08-2006, 7:04 AM
pretty slick steve!

Michael Stafford
05-08-2006, 7:08 AM
That is a beautiful piece of work! Excellent, Steve, just excellent!;) :cool:

Tyler Howell
05-08-2006, 7:36 AM
I'd almost consider spinning on a piece of iron like that;)
Well done.

Jim Young
05-08-2006, 6:30 PM
I think the lathe looks great. I'm glad you didn't go with Plum Crazy.

Vaughn McMillan
05-09-2006, 2:33 AM
Gerat job, Steve. That's got to the sweetest lathe resto that I've seen. It's been too many years to remember for sure, but the Oliver looks a lot like the ones we had in high school wood shop. (The speed control dial nudged my memories.) Glad to see this one's got a brand new life ahead of it. Enjoy getting it dirty. ;)

- Vaughn

Joe Pendleton
06-23-2006, 2:39 PM
How old is the big GREEN one...I met a new friend the other day in his 50+ and he said in high school they had Oliver equipment. I just bought a very old Delta Rockwell Sander/Grinder from a school online auction (weights the same as a baby elephand). Belt sander size is 4 by 52, any idea where I could find a belt?

joe_pendleton@hotmail.com:)

Tom Sherman
06-24-2006, 5:01 AM
Steve I can't imagine how I missed this before, I think I hear Tim Taylor sounds the gutteral grunts and growls signifying total approval. The only thing I can imagine that would improve on what you have already done is seeing your sweet machine amidst a HUGE pile of turnings:D .

Steve Ash
06-28-2006, 9:22 AM
How old is the big GREEN one...I met a new friend the other day in his 50+ and he said in high school they had Oliver equipment.

Joe, from what the guy at Oliver told me when I gave him the serial # it is a 1951-52. Apparently there were a bunch of Oliver lathes and other equiptment in high school woodworking shops back then.

alex carey
01-09-2009, 9:16 PM
very nice, great job on the restoration.

David Christopher
01-09-2009, 9:22 PM
Steve, that thing is allmost too purdy to use