PDA

View Full Version : Found wood

Rich Stewart
05-07-2006, 2:23 PM
I found this tree down behind the firehouse by my house. Anybody know what it is? I picked up a couple pieces to see if I could do anything with it. I guess it is sapwood (that white wood around the darker center) jas no grain or figure to it. The middle kind of looks like walnut.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Jeff Horton
05-07-2006, 2:38 PM
By jove, I believe you hit Walnut!

Christopher K. Hartley
05-07-2006, 2:55 PM
Rich I believe this is an elm. Id sure turn it. You might be supprised by what you find. http://www.elmcare.com/about_elms/identifying/identifying_leaves.htm

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2006, 4:34 PM
Rich I agree with Christopher. I think you have some Elm there. Leaves sure look like it anyway.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-07-2006, 5:47 PM
Rich I agree with Christopher. I think you have some Elm there. Leaves sure look like it anyway.

Bernie, I took a second look...I believe Jeff may have it correct. The leaf stalk is a give away. I just didn't notice it earlier. Sorry Guys.
http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/black_walnut_leaves_001.jpg

Reed Gray
05-07-2006, 8:14 PM
What you have is a black walnut. I can't remember the name for it, but walnut leaves come with a bunch on a stem (both leaves and stems fall off in the fall), and the elm are individual leaves coming off a branch. Another way to tell is to smell it. Elm will smell sour, and is often called 'piss elm' because it smells like cat spray. Walnut has an unmistakable spicy smell. The walnut will also turn everything it touches black, especially if there is any metal around.
robo hippy

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 8:52 PM
I'll also go with Elm is the edges of the leaves are not smooth...I have both Black Walnut and Elm on my property. They are very similar looking at first, even to the pinated leaf clusters. The giveaway is the serrations on the leaves. Black walnut leaves have smooth edges; elm has the serrated edges.

Curt Fuller
05-07-2006, 9:09 PM
I'm voting on Black Walnut. The leaves in the middle photo look like walnut to me and the creamy white sapwood looks like freshly cut walnut although it will darken as it dries out.

Frank Chaffee
05-07-2006, 9:44 PM
Black Walnut.

Michael Cody
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
I'll also go with Elm is the edges of the leaves are not smooth...I have both Black Walnut and Elm on my property. They are very similar looking at first, even to the pinated leaf clusters. The giveaway is the serrations on the leaves. Black walnut leaves have smooth edges; elm has the serrated edges.

2nd pic -- edges look smooth, jim nailed the difference -- it's black walnut I think.

Ernie Nyvall
05-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Walnut. I'll bet there is some nice figure down there around the base.

Ernie

John Hart
05-08-2006, 5:53 AM
Yup...I vote walnut too. Nice score Rich!:)

Brad Hart
05-08-2006, 6:47 AM
i am voting walnut too. And just for info butternut also looks a lot like walnut from the outside but it will not have the leaf at the end of twig like the walnut does.

John Timberlake
05-08-2006, 6:36 PM
Looks like walnut. Heart wood, sap wood, bark, leaves - all say walnut to me.

Bill Simpson
05-09-2006, 2:56 PM
WALNUT. American Black Walnut :)

Rich Stewart
05-09-2006, 3:07 PM
Thanks to all who answered. I am going out when I get over that way and find some mature leaves. These small leaves were just sprouting out of the trunk and I still can't tell. They have tiny serrations on the edge of the leaves. Not quite like the walnut and not quite like the elm. I now know what to look for and I will post a better pic of the leaves soon.

Thanks again!!

Rich

Frank Chaffee
05-09-2006, 3:30 PM
Rich,
Walnut also has a very distinctive smell.
Frank

Curt Fuller
05-09-2006, 10:52 PM
And unless you have some very efficient squirrels there will probably be some walnuts on the ground.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-10-2006, 1:40 AM
The reason, I believe that it is walnut instead of Elm is that I see no indication of crosshatching of the grain and the Dark/ White combo looks VERY Walnut. However, I'm not there and could be wrong! Cut a slice off it and look for the crosshatch (Looks like houndstooth cloth )

Bruce

Frank Chaffee
05-10-2006, 1:53 AM
And unless you have some very efficient squirrels there will probably be some walnuts on the ground.
Rich,
You can thank the efficiency of squirrels for planting the walnut seeds in the vicinity of the parent tree. Young walnut trees are susceptible to sunburn in the winter, so sun thru only a portion of the winter day is the best environment for seedlings. Light shade in the winter is preferable. If you wish to cultivate trees for flatwork, prune them when they are young, autumn or winter pruning after the sap has fallen, is best.

Should you prefer to supply the twisted turnees of the Creek with interesting conflicted grained wood, graze cattle or deer in the vicinity, and their munchings may help to create burls (this from my county extension agent).

Allowing other trees, even those considered to be junk trees, to grow alongside the walnuts will both shade the tender yun’uns and cause the walnuts to grow straight up, reaching for sunlight photosynthesis with the top leafing branches, and allowing them to crown at the top of the forest clearstory.

Frank