PDA

View Full Version : Just to show I can still do flat work........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-07-2006, 1:21 PM
I finally got this one done....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lesson_room/done_1.jpg

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lesson_room/done_1_open.jpg

We decided to paint the cabs, and I went with a Shellac finish topped with WP Poly, should be good to go.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lesson_room/done_installed.jpg
in the lesson room.

I got one more to make just like it, (the doors are already done for it) and then some drawers beside that, and a garbage can hideaway thing, then 4 more cabs for the top, the middle ones will have glass doors.

Like this......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lesson_room/Cab_design.jpg

Painting with the HVLP Wagner Fine Coat was a breeze, that is one cool system.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, SWMBO has not picked a pull that she likes, so that is yet to be done. ;D

John Lucas
05-07-2006, 2:58 PM
Stu,
Nice work. Did you spray the shallac? Do you spray that stuff in your dungeon? Worry about explosion at all? Target has a waterborne shellac available now. I ahve used it as a sanding/sealer. Has a bit of the smell of shellac. But not volital.

Al Navas
05-07-2006, 7:08 PM
Cool :cool: , Stu!

Now...... The pulls could be round, right ? Just whip up a couple in some of those nice woods you have, and see how they look.

Al

Steve Evans
05-07-2006, 7:21 PM
Oh yeah, SWMBO has not picked a pull that she likes, so that is yet to be done. ;D

Well Stu, it seems like the only reasonable thing for you to do is to set up for some sand-casting and pour your own.:D

Steve

Corey Hallagan
05-07-2006, 7:32 PM
Nice work Stu, it looks great. How in the heck did you make time for that and what 6 bowls on the lathe? Nice job!

Corey

Frank Chaffee
05-07-2006, 8:27 PM
Gosh Stu,
After having been inundated by the furious funnellated flow of turner energy on the Creek, your fine flatwork appears boring in comparison.

Just my honest appraisal…
Frank

Jay Knoll
05-07-2006, 9:06 PM
Looks fine to me Stu!

Jay

05-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Stu,
Nice work. Did you spray the shellac? Do you spray that stuff in your dungeon? Worry about explosion at all? Target has a waterborne shellac available now. I have used it as a sanding/sealer. Has a bit of the smell of shellac. But not volatile.

What, do you think I'm nuts :D

I just rubbed the Shellac on, worked fine, ran the exhaust fan, and put on my charcoal respirator (that stuff will make you high if you don't).

I sprayed the cab with my new to me Wagner HVLP Fine Coat machine, worked very well, I really like it.

Got a bunch more to build now, this one was kind of a prototype.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 2:44 AM
What, do you think I'm nuts :D...
Well, yes...but that's beside the point. :p

Great job, Stu. After spending the past few months watching you logging and fabricating and spinning, I had forgotten about your other skills :D. It's obvious you know what you're doing in flatland.

- Vaughn

05-08-2006, 3:22 AM
Well, yes...but that's beside the point. :p

Great job, Stu. After spending the past few months watching you logging and fabricating and spinning, I had forgotten about your other skills :D. It's obvious you know what you're doing in flatland.

- Vaughn

OK, the "Nuts" one was a dumb question.....;):D

Hey, I've learned a lot here and other places, so I can say that I've had good teachers!

Cheers!

Gail O'Rourke
05-08-2006, 5:59 AM
Looks like a great project stu! Sounds like you will be done in no time!

Steve Ash
05-08-2006, 7:10 AM
(that stuff will make you high if you don't).

Are you speaking from past expierience? :D

Looks nice Stu....as usual.

I like the idea about casting your own pulls, that idea just has Stu written all over it.

Tyler Howell
05-08-2006, 7:34 AM
Thank goodness there's still some sanity in the dongeon.:rolleyes:
Well Done Stu:cool:

05-08-2006, 7:39 AM
Are you speaking from past expierience? :D

Looks nice Stu....as usual.

I like the idea about casting your own pulls, that idea just has Stu written all over it.

Oh yeah, love to do that, I could set up a forge on the roof top...........:rolleyes:

You know, I could.... I've got 200V power, 100V and Natural gas plumbed to the rooftop......

Natural gas fired forge, with a 200V blower..... :rolleyes:

I think I'll just turn some, thing is I don't have anything in a contrasting color, but I guess that is what stain is for...

Cheers!

05-08-2006, 7:41 AM
Thank goodness there's still some sanity in the dong-eon.:rolleyes:
Well Done Stu:cool:
Don't know what you thing goes on down there Tyler, but it is a "Dungeon" :D:D:D