PDA

View Full Version : BS Gloat

Tony Falotico
05-07-2006, 1:12 PM
No BS about it, this is a certified USDA Grade A Number 1 Boni-fide Gloat in the form of a JET 18" BS. After mulling over the Delta, Rikon, and Jet at Woodcraft for 1 1/2 hrs yesterday, the Jet came home with me...........

assembled and tuned very easily and quickly, here she is .............

John Miliunas
05-07-2006, 1:59 PM
Congrats, Tony!!! I've checked that one out at the store (PT job) and, from what I saw of it, I'm thinking you'll be pretty happy with it! :) Now, go make some sawdust!!! :) :cool:

Jim O'Dell
05-07-2006, 2:09 PM
Contrats, Tony. Now, everyone wants to know the thought process on the decision. Jim.

Rick Doyle
05-07-2006, 2:10 PM
no doubt about, that's a beaut!!

Doug Shepard
05-07-2006, 2:15 PM
Nice score. It even matches the color scheme of your shop.

Vaughn McMillan
05-07-2006, 2:31 PM
A most gloatworthy purchase, Tony. I can think of lots of ways to have fun with that machine. Enjoy!

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
05-07-2006, 2:40 PM
Now, everyone wants to know the thought process on the decision.(cough, cough)Three-sided coin.(cough, cough):D :cool: :p

Steve Clardy
05-07-2006, 2:51 PM
Looks nice!! Jet has some very good machinery.

Randy Gillard
05-07-2006, 2:55 PM
Congrats! Jet is quite different up here in Canada. Very small (almost undetectable) distribution network, and not the same level of selection. Looks like a beauty of a bandsaw though. I recently bought a Minimax, and really like the extra power and capacity a big industrial type machine provides.

Drive safe!

Cecil Arnold
05-07-2006, 3:03 PM
Congrats Tony, I know you'll like the Jet--what's not to like.

Tony Falotico
05-07-2006, 3:41 PM
Contrats, Tony. Now, everyone wants to know the thought process on the decision. Jim.

First of all, the upper end saws were out of budget, and for a home workshop hard to justify the cost. Woodcraft had these three in stock, so I focused on them....... left Grizzly in the mix but I don't like buying sight unseen, just a quirk of mine. Also shipping and receiving would be a hassle I decided not to deal with. Price of the three were pretty close, only $150 difference from high to low, so that was not a considered factor.

A spread sheet comparing the spec's on the three saws was prepared, highlighting for each feature which one was best for my purposes. Honestly, strictly by spec sheets, the Jet stood out, Rikon second and Delta third. The lower HP on the Jet did weigh in pretty heavy as a negative at this point.

Then a search of SMC. Sounded like the Rikon is very well thought of, although several problems were discussed and one return mentioned. Not much on the Delta, nothing on the Jet.

So I enlisted the help of a very good and trusted friend, and headed off to Woodcraft. Spent an hour and a half crawling in and around the Delta, Rikon and Jet at Woodcraft. The salesmen at Woodcraft were good, I told them the plan was for one of these bad boys to end up in my truck, which one was still to be decided. Both gave their choice and reasons, then walked away and let us inspect the machines.

The Delta fell off the list first, very quickly, the fit and finish, the table mount and castings just weren't up to par with the others. After the initial inspection, my friend wouldn't let me return to the Delta, something about it definitely turned him off. We agreed it was off the list. The Rikon came in a very close second, but a few key features such as the shaft on the lower wheel, the upper tensioning / quick release system, just seemed poorly engineered and weak to me. Honestly, the alignment adjustment on the Rikons lower wheel shaft almost appeared Mickey Mouse design to me.

The fit and finish on the Jet, the simplicity of the tensioning system, the double trunnion / lock on the table tilt and the roller guide system stood out. The lower HP motor was the only negative, the rest of it just felt better to me. My buddy was leaning towards the Rikon, but as we inspected the details, he agreed with my choice.....

The above comments are my honest opinions, do not represent the opinions of management or any other sane or insane person, and are given in good faith to be taken that way. In no way is my intent to bash the other machines, other people's opinions may differ and I respect that.

BTW, forgot to mention the BONUS. My buddy noticed a sign on the door, Manager's Special, spend $x and get $y credit on any clearance item. In my case, over $500 get $65 credit. Off to the clearance table we go, and low and behold, a $109.95 set of Whiteside dovetail router bits marked down 15%. So 15% off brings it to $95, minus $65 credit, a set of 8 Whiteside dovetail router bits for $28 and change. But wait a minute, they were 8mm shaft, bummer. But hold on, what's that ?? Ha .... a 1/2" collet adapter....... so I will be able to use them.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-07-2006, 3:43 PM
Congrats Tony, have fun with the new machine.

Todd Davidson
05-07-2006, 3:48 PM
Nice score Tony! Thanks for sharing your decision process.

Jim O'Dell
05-07-2006, 5:47 PM
Very well thought out, Tony. Thanks for the insight. Like I said, I already have my BS, but was interested in how you arrived at the decision you made. I now would say it will benefit others in how to approach their decisions. Good write up! Jim.

Richard Wolf
05-07-2006, 6:56 PM
Great looking saw buddy, enjoy it.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
05-07-2006, 7:33 PM
Excellent Tony! Nice bandsaw and a great gloat, congrats!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
05-07-2006, 8:27 PM
Tony.........Congrats on the new bandsaw! I've looked at the Jet and the Rikon. I don't think you'll regret your decision.

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 8:39 PM
Why, that looks quite at home in your shop, Tony!!! Congratulations!!