PDA

View Full Version : Does Pear stain?

Charlie Plesums
05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
My neighbor's relatives lost a favorite pear tree in a recent tornado. One evening he appeared with a hunk of wood and said "can you make something from this, so they can remember their tree? It was dripping wet and the shape of a bowl blank, so after getting nowhere suggesting firewood, I rounded it on the bandsaw, and mounted it on the lathe. Before the evening was over, the rough bowl was sitting in alcohol.

Jump ahead a couple days... laundry day, and one t-shirt is covered with red dots. Finally realized it was similar to the red color of the alcohol, and probably the shirt I was wearing when I turned the bowl. The pear wood certainly wasn't red, but it appears to be the source of the stains on the shirt.

I have never turned pear, or anything that was called pear. Could this have caused the stains? Did it ruin my soaking alcohol?

John Hart
05-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I didn't have a stain problem with my Pear tree Charlie. I don't know what brand of pear it was though.:confused:

Dick Strauss
05-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Guys,
are you sure there wasn't a partridge hiding in the pear tree (j/k)...

George Conklin
05-07-2006, 1:05 PM
Guys,
are you sure there wasn't a partridge hiding in the pear tree (j/k)...

ROLF-LMAO....

Wait a minute... That shouldn't be funny:D

Man, that was good!!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2006, 1:06 PM
Great one Dick. Almost spilled my coffee on the keyboard.

Glenn Hodges
05-07-2006, 1:30 PM
Charlie my denatured alcohol is almost black from soaking different types of wood in it. The surface of the wood you soak in it will be stained, but when you take off a sliver of the surface you will not see any of the stain.