PDA

View Full Version : Kayak progress

David Wilson
05-07-2006, 11:22 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38008&stc=1&d=1147017523Sorry I havn't been on the board much lately so I thought an update was in order. The deck is done and yesterday Jane came out to the shop and helped me roll out the glass on the hull. Took about two hours to wet out the glass with epoxy. Today I am doing a fill coat and after a few days I can flip the hull and start on the inside. Looka like the launch should be sometime in June. Thanks for looking.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38006&stc=1&d=1147017523

Dave Richards
05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Dave, it looks great! I guess you'll be ready in tiime to bring it to Lake Pepin for the Minnesota Messabout. Here's the info: http://tinyurl.com/dngwy

Please come.

David Wilson
05-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Dave Thanks for the invite but will be in WI for a family get together that weekend. At West Bend so way on the other side of the state and won't be ready to launch yet then.

Allen Bookout
05-07-2006, 12:23 PM
David,

That is really beautiful. I know that it will be waterproof using epoxy but if I built it I think that I would have to just display it instead of using it as it would just kill me to see a scratch on it. Wouldn't it be fun to live long enough to see how long it survives. Should be about forever.

What do you use over the epoxy to protect it from the UV rays?

Great Job!

Allen

John Bailey
05-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Great lookin' boat Dave. Keep us posted, I'm really interested.

John

Corey Hallagan
05-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Nice work David. Can't wait to see it finished!

Corey

Jeff Horton
05-07-2006, 2:36 PM
Looks really good. I have two boats on my to-do list. One being a stripper Kayak too. Just not enough time to do everything I want.

Richard Wolf
05-07-2006, 6:52 PM
Very nice boat. I have been thinking about a cedar strip canoe lately.

Richard

Tom Hamilton
05-07-2006, 7:38 PM
Hi Dave: Wonderful looking boat. It is one of the projects on my fantasy list.

I'm confused, not unusual, about just where the fiberglass goes, and how it relates to the beautiful wood.

So, would you mind providing a short tutorial on what you and your wife just did. It seems to me the fiberglass would coverup the wood, but it still shows in the pics. And you said you would do the inside next. So, sorry, I just don't get it.

Remedial class please. Thanks, Tom

Norman Hitt
05-07-2006, 7:46 PM
Boy, Dave, I see why you haven't been on the Forum much lately,...........YOU"VE actually been BUSY in the SHOP.:D

That's sure a pretty Fancy/Schmantzy thing you're making there to dodge boulders with.:D Very nice, and a LOT of work too. I did a lot of fiberglass work my Sr yr in High School covering "Yellow Jacket" boats both on the inside and outside of the Molded layup Mahogany Hull Boats. They were beautiful when finished, but heavier than *&!!, and we had to do ALL the sanding by hand, (after grinding any runs/lumps with a disc grinder), which was a job I don't EVER want to tackle again.:D I think the guy mixed the resin wrong, 'cause it was as hard as Phenolic.:rolleyes:

We'll be awaiting Launch Date, "With Pics".;)

PS: How's that Letter Opener "Repair" holding up?

John Miliunas
05-07-2006, 7:48 PM
Gee, no wonder we haven't seen you around much lately! Busy guy, me thinks! That's really turning out great, David! :) When you get caught up a bit, you'll need to post some more details, hopefully with pics, on the process! Good job, my friend! :) :cool:

Jay Knoll
05-07-2006, 9:08 PM
David

That is very cool! Where did you get the plans? More pics would be appreciated!

Jay

Frank Chaffee
05-07-2006, 9:55 PM
Fantastic joinery David!
That hull looks terrific and you have much to be proud of guy.
Frank

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 9:56 PM
David, that's really sharp looking! Nice work!

David Wilson
05-08-2006, 5:56 AM
Hi Dave: Wonderful looking boat. It is one of the projects on my fantasy list.

I'm confused, not unusual, about just where the fiberglass goes, and how it relates to the beautiful wood.

So, would you mind providing a short tutorial on what you and your wife just did. It seems to me the fiberglass would coverup the wood, but it still shows in the pics. And you said you would do the inside next. So, sorry, I just don't get it.

Remedial class please. Thanks, Tom
Tom
The first pic shows the deck which is already glassed. The second pic shows the hull with the glass fabric layed out over it. The third pic shows the deck with the glass fabric wetted out with epoxy. The fiberglass turns clear when coated with epoxy.

David Wilson
05-08-2006, 5:58 AM
David

That is very cool! Where did you get the plans? More pics would be appreciated!

Jay

Jay,
The plans are from Guillemot kayaks. The boat is a 14 foot Great Auk.

Brett Baldwin
05-08-2006, 3:49 PM
That's looking really good. That is a project I hadn't thought of. The list just got a little longer.

Tyler Howell
05-08-2006, 5:30 PM
Go Dave.
Looking great.
Love to see it some time.:cool:

Tom Hamilton
05-08-2006, 6:25 PM
Ah, the old clear fiberglass trick. Very cool. Thanks for the lesson. I'm looking forward to finished pics. Best regards, Tom

Vaughn McMillan
05-08-2006, 6:25 PM
The kayak is looking great already...I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished pics. I also vote for more progress and detail shots when you get a chance to post.

- Vaughn