PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt almost done!

Jeff Horton
05-06-2006, 11:13 PM
1946 DeWalt GP Radial arm saw. 12" blade and 2 HP motor.

Before - just after I unloaded it off the trailer.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/before.jpg

During - pieces scattered all over the table with a lot of disassembly not even done at this point.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/during1.jpg

After - Almost ready to go. Just need the switch installed (it was still wet with paint) and reinstall the table.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/DeWaltras/after.jpg

The most amazing thing to me is how original this saw was/is. Most of these saws at least get modified and many get butchered up. It is only missing one part and I am looking for that now.

I only replaced a a few rusty screws. Everything was in working order once it was cleaned up.

The paint had faded to green looking color. The saw is supposed to be dark gray but I couldn't find it so I settled for the universal machine gray. I painted it lighter color than original because I wanted to use rattle cans and not have to set up my spray gun and clean it each time. I like work on one or two pieces at a time rather than trying to get them all ready to paint at one time.

Now I can remove the two junky RAS's in my shop! I am going to try to recycle the old extension tables for use with this one.

Next up is 1946 Unisaw and shaper.

Charles Bruno
05-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Nice job Jeff! How many hours from start to finish? I can't wait to see the Unisaw and shaper.
Thanks for the post.

Jeff Horton
05-07-2006, 8:18 AM
Good question. I didn't keep track but it's taken me 3 weeks working Saturdays and some in the evenings. It took most of a Saturday to take it apart and organize the pieces. Then after work I would spend 2 or 3 hours piddling at it. Some nights I would get side tracked and do some turning on the lathe. Best guess is around 40-50 hours.

The stand spent 48 hours in the electrolysis tank cleaning the rust. The 4 legs spent 12 hours apiece. That was the biggest job in the whole process. Stripping and painting the stand. Of course I don't count the time they were being electrocuted.

As a side note, I have decided I don't like the red accents on the saw. The lettering is going to have to be repainted along with the indicator tabs. The more I look at them the less I like them.

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Beautiful job on that restoration, Jeff!! Once the table is on, you can get it installed where it is destined to live! (If that is the original blade, you may want to consider something more contemporary...and remember, table saw blades are not correct for a RAS)

Alan Tolchinsky
05-07-2006, 10:25 AM
You've done a fantastic restoration job there. You should be proud! Looks beautiful.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow! That's one nice saw! I'll bet it will work like a champ too!

I wish I had a saw like that for those times when my projects don't turn out well. This way, I can always switch the conversation to my boss saw. :)

Jeff

Corey Hallagan
05-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Wow, that's a beauty! NICE JOB Jeff!

Corey

Wes Bischel
05-07-2006, 1:07 PM
Fantastic job! It looks almost new! These are great units - wish I had room for one!
Is this a Lancaster made saw? Or is it early enough to be a Leola saw? Just curious, the old Lancaster facility is about a block away from us.

Wes

Jeff Horton
05-07-2006, 2:32 PM
Jim, that is an old Frued blade on there. It may well be the one that came on it? Had not really thought about it. Hold on, I have the manual here somewhere.... Found it. It does look like one of the blades shown in the photos in the manual. Just noticed they show two different blades too.

Yes I am aware there is difference in the geometry. Will see how this one does. Then if I need, I will order Forrest most likely for it. Since it has a 1 inch arbor that means I need a new dado set too.

Wes, you got me! I just know it appears to be have built in 1946 according to the serial number. No idea where they were made. Didn't dig that deep into it's history.

Todd Davidson
05-07-2006, 3:51 PM
Outstanding job! I've just started delving into restoration. It's quite rewarding.