PDA

View Full Version : TS surface

Jerry Ragan
05-06-2006, 10:30 PM
What is the best way to clean and restore a TS surface (cast iron/with a steel top. Has glue paint and abrasive marks.

David Klug
05-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Jerry I don't know if this is the best way but I have a piece of 1/4"x6"x36" glass that I would PS sand paper on and work on it that way. Lots of rubbing.

DK

Jamie Buxton
05-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Most wood glues don't bond to cast iron, so you can just chip it off. Try a chisel or a card scraper. The same scraper can probably get most of the paint. That much work may get you a useable surface. If you want it to look somewhat prettier, use a ROS. It'll certainly remove everything softer than cast iron, and if you use it just right it will put a uniform sheen on the cast iron. Then put a coat of wax on it. It will make stuff slide more easily, and it will resist new applications of glue and paint.

Jim Becker
05-07-2006, 10:06 AM
I use a ROS and 220 grit abrasives to clean up my cast iron every once in a long while...after removing any wax with mineral spirits. Then I re-wax. With waxing about twice a year, I only hit the surface with the ROS every two-three years.