PDA

View Full Version : Round #2 (I won)

Jeff Horton
05-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Just couldn't stand it after last nights miserable turning. I did a lot of reading and thinking. I did several things different this time. Regound my gouges. Tried shear scraping with the bowl gouge. Worked on my cheap scraper and tried shear scraping with it. Bought new sandpaper :mad: I didn't realize how worn mine was!

Then I decided to have a go at this mystery wood again. BTW is Box Elder ever this color? Found out I have a bunch of these around me and this appears to be the same bark. What I have seen it appears lighter in the photos. I found it in the burn pile so I am not sure.

There are a couple of marks I didn't see till I was nearly done sanding but they are small and this is 100 times better than last night mess! Color in the spalting are beautiful... well I think so. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Jeff...........If I may..........I think you are winning the fight! I like the form, the wood......I think you've about won this one. One comment....when you take the tenon off the bottom.....you will have won! Great looking bowl my man!

Corey Hallagan
05-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Nice job Jeff, it looks great. Pretty wood!

corey

Jeff Horton
05-06-2006, 11:39 PM
One comment....when you take the tenon off the bottom.....you will have won! Great looking bowl my man!

Not a fan of footed bowls I take it? :)

I was going to hollow it out and leave a small ring for a foot and I decided to try something different. I may turn it down yet. Just so happy with the results I haven't decided if I like it or not.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Jeff what ever you did my friend it worked. Bowl looks fantastic. I am like Ken I am not much of a foot man on bowls so I would take it down to 1/8" if it were me. Don't get me wrong the bowl is nice. I like the finish. Jeff you did a great job.

Barry Stratton
05-07-2006, 12:26 AM
GREAT JOB!!!!! You definitely won the war with this puppy. And, FWIW, I think the foot looks good. Kind of like a pedestal for a hard earned trophy. Congrats!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-07-2006, 3:41 AM
Looks good, that wood is really nice.

If you can take a pic of the bark, and any leaves, I bet we can figure out what kind of wood it is.

Cheers!

John Hart
05-07-2006, 6:09 AM
Very nice form Jeff! And that wood is gorgeous! Lots of motion in the grain. It's a great example of why perseverance pays off in the end.:)

Ernie Nyvall
05-07-2006, 8:53 AM
Oh yea, you've got it working now. Looks good Jeff.

Ernie

Jim Dunn
05-07-2006, 8:57 AM
Way to go Jeff. You did win this round.

Rich Stewart
05-07-2006, 9:05 AM
You just experienced a bad turning day. They happen. Nothing goes right, you finally throw up your hands and go do something else, next day walk out to the exact same piece in the exact same place where you left it, with the exact same tools and everything will go perfect. Sometimes you just gotta walk away for a while. Great looking bowl. I like 'em with foots and without foots. Big foots, little foots. You can always get rid of it later if you find you don't like it.

John Hart
05-07-2006, 9:10 AM
....I like 'em with foots and without foots. Big foots, little foots. You can always get rid of it later if you find you don't like it.

I heard that Big Foots was a myth.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-07-2006, 9:23 AM
There are folks near here that have claimed to have seen Big Foots......I've never seen one..........except for my own size 13s that is ....:rolleyes:

Pete Jordan
05-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Jeff,
You did a great job! I have a ton of box elder in my garage and it is almost white but I don't know much about types of wood.

George Conklin
05-07-2006, 11:15 AM
There are folks near here that have claimed to have seen Big Foots......I've never seen one..........except for my own size 13s that is ....:rolleyes:

THIRTEENS!!! Holy Cow!!! You ARE Big Foots!!!!!:eek:

That bowl really turned out great, Jeff. I'm glad you stuck with it. A very interesting grain pattern indeed.

As far as "foots-feets" are concerned, I believe its what the piece tells you it wants.:)

Jim Ketron
05-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Looking good Jeff!
Just a guess but your wood looks a lot like Ash to me. How hard is it?
Box Elder is extremely soft. you can easily scratch it with your fingernail.

Jeff Horton
05-07-2006, 2:16 PM
Jeff,
You did a great job! I have a ton of box elder in my garage and it is almost white but I don't know much about types of wood.
Thats what I was thinking. I did find out that the trees trying to surround my barn are Box Elder. Turns out to be lots of around here and I just didn't know what it was.

Just a guess but your wood looks a lot like Ash to me. How hard is it? Box Elder is extremely soft. you can easily scratch it with your fingernail.
You helped me ID the Box Elders around the barn so I thought this might be. But I found it in the bulldozed tree pile. So no leaves or anything left to ID it. It's not soft, sort of of a medium density wood. I have never heard of any Ash here but that doesn't mean much. Someone suggested Elm and we do have those. For now I guess it is found wood. :cool:

Pat Salter
05-08-2006, 9:35 AM
Very nice. Just imagine what bowl no. 25 will look like!!! Hey they don't all work out. The ones that don't....I call them "Practice" pieces...:D Looks like it could hold popcorn in california or ice cream in Maine.

Jeff Horton
05-08-2006, 12:48 PM
....Looks like it could hold popcorn in california or ice cream in Maine.

Humm, grits in Bama? :confused: